Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Importing .mov into Premiere and Resolve issue

Yes, and they don't play even on the desktop. Yes they are 1920x1080.

I JUST SAW THAT JARRED ANNOUNCED NEW FIRMWARE WHICH FIXES THIS ISSUE AND IT IS AVAILABLE NOW :)

Very frustrating that this was supposed to be fixed but just had a call from post and they are quite shitty that they were told this was fixed yet they could not get Premiere to play well with the Red QT files. Has anyone else found this fix to work with them? I can't recommend the Red QT files to clients untill this is sorted or I end up with angry clients.
 
Very frustrating that this was supposed to be fixed but just had a call from post and they are quite shitty that they were told this was fixed yet they could not get Premiere to play well with the Red QT files. Has anyone else found this fix to work with them? I can't recommend the Red QT files to clients untill this is sorted or I end up with angry clients.

When I got my Weapon MG it already had the firmware that supposedly fixed the ProRes QT issue, but I am still having issues with Resolve accepting the straight out of camera file. If I re-encode it in Media Encoder, it works fine.
 
This has been an issue that was supposed to have been fixed a couple times by firmware updates. The only workaround is to either re-transcode all the footage or to isolate the problematic quicktime files (it usually isn't all of them), open them in quicktime (they won't crash in quicktime, only in resolve or premiere), and export them. Good fun.
 
It's an odd situation as I was led to believe that Apples approval process was uber strict when it came to the use of its codecs. I am surprised this managed to slip past the engineers.
 
Has anyone tried the QTs in Avid? If only for offline editing and Avid works, just use Avid instead until Premiere works.
 
Chris,

Unsure of Avid but apparently FCP7 and FCPX are good but I am hired to shoot other people's material and they control post production and often this is an in house affair and they are committed to a specific NLE system. They would rather change camera than change their workflow.
 
Has anyone tried the QTs in Avid? If only for offline editing and Avid works, just use Avid instead until Premiere works.

Pretty sure its a not software but file issue. So I doubt avid will do the trick when resolve, final cut and premiere and flame fails...
 
Bjorn,

Are people having trouble with Final Cut? So far my clients have had good results with the Red QT in FCP7 and 10 but this may not be consistent?
 
In theory, FCP, Avid, and Resolve all use the QuickTime engine within the operating system under Mac OSX, so if the QuickTime fails in one, it should fail in everything.
 
In theory, FCP, Avid, and Resolve all use the QuickTime engine within the operating system under Mac OSX, so if the QuickTime fails in one, it should fail in everything.


But aren't there reports that FCP works while Premiere doesn't? So why does FCP work for some if it's all QT based?
 
Christopher,

That has been my experience that FCP is trouble free but I could not say if this is true for everybody. Why it is so I have no freakin idea.

It's not just you, I have had no issues with FCPX and Weapon ProRES footage. The files do not work well in Premiere Pro CC. Some of the takes will import, but it seems to be random which work and which do not.
 
All known import issues with Premiere have been addressed with FW 6.2.51

If there are ongoing issues with clips recorded with this version or in future releases, please file a ticket with RED support.
 
All known import issues with Premiere have been addressed with FW 6.2.51

If there are ongoing issues with clips recorded with this version or in future releases, please file a ticket with RED support.

Is there anything we can do with the files we captured before the update was released?
 
Is there anything we can do with the files we captured before the update was released?

Updating to the latest version of Premiere may also solve the problem. However, if that's not a possibility..

I have an internal script that can potentially patch the problem files. I recommend opening a support ticket with RED support so we can gauge what level of support is necessary.

In addition, PM me if you can provide a link to a problem file so I can make sure the patch works for you.
 
Back
Top