Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

I'm afraid of Scarlet

My ideal SCARLET

My ideal SCARLET

And this:

http://sumix.com/products/cameras/smx-12a2m/smx-12a2c.html

camera_smx_body.jpg


RED-SCARLET.jpg


If RED build this chip in a metal body like this, I would be very, very happy!
Leica M are the best lenses in the world, and they are also small.
ideal for the prof pocket cinema cam called: SCARLET

P.S: voightlander also makes very good Leica M compatible lenses
and they are much cheaper than original Leica M lenses.
http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm

and there also Zeiss lenses for the Leica M:
http://www.zeiss.com/zeissikon ....so choice enough!

What more do you want ? :-)
 
RED-SCARLET.jpg


Now imagine working with something like this for a client.

Client: why are you taking photographs?

You: Photographs, no, no, i was actually about to film the scene

Client: right.....but where's the camera?
 
RED-SCARLET.jpg


Now imagine working with something like this for a client.

Client: why are you taking photographs?

You: Photographs, no, no, i was actually about to film the scene

Client: right.....but where's the camera?



The client doesn't care about the looks of your camera, he only wants quality.
imagine what the possibilities are when people think you are just taking pictures and you are in fact recording 1080P uncompressed video footage! you can now finally make the shots you couldn't make before....
ideal for documentary's, news, and inside story's, etc.
 
I told myself I wasn't going to talk about Scarlet anymore till we actually know what the hell it is, but I really like this whole Leica M style lens idea. Make it a HV20 sized camera or smaller with the ability to pop on different tiny lenses... I like.
I've been of the mind that Scarlet will have a fixed lens, and I didn't really want it to have PL sized lenses on it, but this Leica M lens idea is growing on me. I don't know much about them other than the quick search through B&H I just did, do they come in zooms? All I saw was primes.
________
Ford granada (europe)
 
My money is on an SD card recorder only. 2 mini XLR inputs, (no sound would be suicide). Head phone jack out. A single mini HDSDI out. A fixed zoom lens. I suspect that this camera will feature many of the automatic focus and iris settings that other small cameras have, as it would seem strange to make a camera too much cheaper that still requires such a feature film style crew to make the most of it. To combat this I suspect a built in LCD (hopefully touch screen) with menu functions as well as lens control features. I imagine that the SCARLET will continue the theme of using software upgrades and therefore software control for much of the camera and consequently shy away from on body buttons to control the lens etc.
 
A little pissed off

A little pissed off

Sorry guys, but I have to state my feelings here.
I'm red #400. I put my deposit down almost two years ago, and have been following the Red Trail ever since.
I finally recieved my camera last week. (Feb '08) I'm frustrated because I paid for the thing a month before I recieved it, after waiting two years to pay for it.
The accessories are not fully trouble-shot yet. I had two machining errors in my basic production pack. (they graciously replaced items, quickly, no questions asked.)
As well, I use PC, and am having SERIOUS issues viewing/encoding footage in RedCine.
All this is to say that they HAVEN'T FINISHED MAKING THE RED ONE YET!!! Red, you're over-extending yourselves.
I was at the Red Headquarters today! They were running around a million miles a minute as it is. Don't take on another project of that size.

ALSO, by making Scarlet, Red WILL infringe on the Red One market. I know from experience that producers will use Scarlet at 2K over 4K 2:1, if they can get a cheap rental. That pisses me off the most.
Red will be boning all us Red One owners very soon after they sold us the Red One!!!!
 
Sorry guys, but I have to state my feelings here.
I'm red #400. I put my deposit down almost two years ago, and have been following the Red Trail ever since.
I finally recieved my camera last week. (Feb '08) I'm frustrated because I paid for the thing a month before I recieved it, after waiting two years to pay for it.
The accessories are not fully trouble-shot yet. I had two machining errors in my basic production pack. (they graciously replaced items, quickly, no questions asked.)
As well, I use PC, and am having SERIOUS issues viewing/encoding footage in RedCine.
All this is to say that they HAVEN'T FINISHED MAKING THE RED ONE YET!!! Red, you're over-extending yourselves.
I was at the Red Headquarters today! They were running around a million miles a minute as it is. Don't take on another project of that size.

ALSO, by making Scarlet, Red WILL infringe on the Red One market. I know from experience that producers will use Scarlet at 2K over 4K 2:1, if they can get a cheap rental. That pisses me off the most.
Red will be boning all us Red One owners very soon after they sold us the Red One!!!!

Only if Scarlet is what the DVXUser crowd hopes it is (an HVX/EX1 killer). I strongly don't think it will be.

Christopher, do you think Jim wants to kill his Red market? He has 3000+ Reds ordered, by NAB they will have only shipped half of those. If Scarlet is announced and is a Red-killer, Jim could watch a 1000 Red reservations get defaulted on. Do you think he'll risk that? He has said repeatedly that Scarlet is not a competition for Red.

So, if it's not a competition, then what is it? I strongly feel it will be a 2k lipstick camera with a simple raw output only, then you'd get the recording module separetely. Just look at Jim, what are his passions? He loves extreme stuff: racing, BMX, extreme sports, etc. I think he wants to get 2k footage from helmet cams, inside tight quarters of racecars, etc. Places that Red can't go. Something of that nature could be mounted inside an airplane cockpit easily, or an on airplane's wing, snowboarder's helmet, etc. That wouldn't compete with Red at all.

My prediction? That Scarlet is a system comprised of a tiny fixed-lens 2k lipstick camera that then connects to a CF recorder unit. The CF recorder unit will allow for monitor ports to frame things up if need be and maybe for audio in, etc. While sure, some indie is going to try to use that as an "A" cam, no producer in the world is going to take it seriously as an "A" cam and it wouldn't encroach on the Red at all, but rather supplement it nicely.
 
I wouldn't think an "HVX-killer" Scarlet would cut into the Red One market. The relationship between the two would be more akin to what exists between the Varicam and HVX. It may not be the digital A-minima many of us are hoping for, but I really doubt it will be a lipstick cam -- that's just not a big enough market in the volume Red is predicting.
 
I wouldn't think an "HVX-killer" Scarlet would cut into the Red One market. The relationship between the two would be more akin to what exists between the Varicam and HVX. It may not be the digital A-minima many of us are hoping for, but I really doubt it will be a lipstick cam -- that's just not a big enough market in the volume Red is predicting.

I must have missed that. Have they made a market prediction for Scarlet?
 
I believe Jim said that he expects the Scarlet to be a much bigger seller that the Red One. I sincerely doubt there's a huge market out there for a lipstick cam. Scarlet is going to be DVX-ish, more or less. Which isn't going to cut into the One's market anymore than the EX-1 is going to cut into Sony's high-end CineAlta market.

I can't possibly afford a Red One, but with luck I will be able to afford a Scarlet. So Red will get my money where as Sony would otherwise get my money with something like the EX-1.
 
I see many users saving their cash for scarlet, I'm one of them too.

I love my HVX, it has bought me a house, a car and possibly a fiance. I know, funny eh. But thats the truth. Scarlet can have pretty much this huge market but its gotta be the indie filmmakers tool, just like what the DVX did with its world's first 24p DV cam.

Jim mentioned that something like Scarlet comes every 25 years. So i dont think its gonna be another uncle Bob camera.(no insult to any uncle Bob)
 
If Scarlet is 2k, up to 60fps and under $10k for a working unit (LCD, lens and battery), that could gut the lower half of the Red One market. It would make the famed statement "Rendering Obsolecense Obsolete" not so true anymore, for they would have greatly surpassed the Red in value within months of actually releasing the camera.
 
If Scarlet is 2k, up to 60fps and under $10k for a working unit (LCD, lens and battery), that could gut the lower half of the Red One market. It would make the famed statement "Rendering Obsolecense Obsolete" not so true anymore, for they would have greatly surpassed the Red in value within months of actually releasing the camera.

I don't buy that at all... You gotta remember all of the I/O that it will be missing let alone all of the other features like RAW, 4k, accessory options, file storage options, interchangeable lenses... etc.

Your comment makes it sound like 2k and 60fps are the biggest selling points for the Red One.
 
If Scarlet is 2k, up to 60fps and under $10k for a working unit (LCD, lens and battery), that could gut the lower half of the Red One market. It would make the famed statement "Rendering Obsolecense Obsolete" not so true anymore, for they would have greatly surpassed the Red in value within months of actually releasing the camera.

thats true, but the Red is 4K with interchangable lenses, different mounting options and lenses. Scarlet wouldnt reallly be competition if it had say a fixed lens and a 2k max res. It would be competition for cameras like the EX1, SI-2K mini and the HVX.

Remember also that Jim has the honor to offer the Red users Scarlet first.
He has clearly stated that it will NOT be a replacement or competition to red.
2k is not competition to 4k. A fixed lens aint either.

But what if it was a complimentary to the Red, just like what the HVX does with the Varicam. Would you still buy it?
 
It's naive to think that Scarlet won't compete at all with Red One. Let's say Scarlet is a multiple-framerate 2K, fixed-lens, 10-bit camera that costs $10K. Let's further say that it sports a CMOS chip and Red has virtually eliminated the rolling-shutter artifacts. Up until its release, Red One will be the only camera that can do 2K 10-bit 4:2:2 under $30,000. Filmmakers will either have to find the money to buy or (more reasonably) rent a Red One, or they will choose an alternative (like the HVX). After its release, the segment of the market that doesn't need 4K, 4:4:4, or an interchangeable lens will have a cheaper 2K alternative. Sure, Red One and Scarlet won't compete on a feature-for-feature basis, but whenever there are options, there is some degree of competition.
 
Sure, Red One and Scarlet won't compete on a feature-for-feature basis, but whenever there are options, there is some degree of competition.

True 'nuff. But how much competition? I can't afford a Red One. It is not even an option. So, I can either give my money to Sony for an EX-1 or to Red for a Scarlet. That is the market I believe Red is going for. It's a larger market. Sure there will be some encroachment, but I think people who who can afford the Red One will continue to buy it for the features it provides above and beyond what the Scarlet can do.
 
Back
Top