Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

I'm afraid of Scarlet

True 'nuff. But how much competition? I can't afford a Red One. It is not even an option. So, I can either give my money to Sony for an EX-1 or to Red for a Scarlet.

They'll have to put out one helluva a camera to beat the EX1. I've seen it and it's real 1080P with very nice latitude. Throw a 35mm adapter on there and it's pretty dangerous.

Come to think of it - Scarlet plus a 35mm adapter might be the holy grail for a lot of people.
 
They'll have to put out one helluva a camera to beat the EX1. I've seen it and it's real 1080P with very nice latitude. Throw a 35mm adapter on there and it's pretty dangerous.
I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard that it has rolling-shutter artifacts that, though not nearly as bad as the HV20's, are still significant. As to using a 35-mm adapter, it's a shame that the EX1's zoom is fixed -- it just seems kind of silly to have to affix an adapter to the end of a fairly long zoom, only to attach a prime lens to the adapter. With a removable zoom, a simpler relay lens could be used.

Come to think of it - Scarlet plus a 35mm adapter might be the holy grail for a lot of people.
How do you know that an adapter will be necessary to achieve a shallow depth of field? No one has made an official announcement regarding the size of Scarlet's image sensor.
 
I think Red owners need to chill. Jim clearly stated that Scarlet will NOT replace or compete with Red. Its been said a thousand times.

Red has a market and Scarlet has its own. Does the HVX compete with the Varicam? NO. But they do intercut well together, both have VFR, 720p, DVCPROHD.

One costs almost $50,000 and the other $6000. So stop your worrying, the other boys wont have better toys.
 
They'll have to put out one helluva a camera to beat the EX1.

I consider the EX-1 as the camera to beat in that price range. Scarlet will have to beat it in features or price to be a competitor.

Throw a 35mm adapter on there and it's pretty dangerous

I actually think the EX-1's DoF is pretty nice. Close to that of a 16mm camera.

Come to think of it - Scarlet plus a 35mm adapter might be the holy grail for a lot of people.

My idea of the holy grail for Scarlet would be a full size sensor that accepts Nikon or Canon SLR lenses. No adapter required! :)

As far as Scarlet treading on Red's toes... I don't think it will be any more of a threat to the Red than the EX-1 is. To be a "pocket" camera, some things are going to be jettisoned, like the nice big lens the EX-1 has. Most likely it will have the slimmed down guts of the Red (large sensor size, raw data, but only 2K) in a smaller handsized camera (HV20 size? maybe larger?). How could that possibly be threat to the Red?

This is why I really wish Red would release just a few details regarding the Scarlet. I think it would get everyone's expectations much more in line. Alas, it is not to be.
 
They'll have to put out one helluva a camera to beat the EX1. I've seen it and it's real 1080P with very nice latitude. Throw a 35mm adapter on there and it's pretty dangerous.

Come to think of it - Scarlet plus a 35mm adapter might be the holy grail for a lot of people.



Scarlet without the need of using a 35 mm adapter even more!!!!
 
My idea of the holy grail for Scarlet would be a full size sensor that accepts Nikon or Canon SLR lenses. No adapter required! :)

These are my feelings and exactly what I'm daydreaming about. And with a Nikon mount, the package could range from hefty to quite compact -- ever seen Nikon's 50mm "pancake" lens -- it's not a whole lot thicker than a polarizer! (I'm exaggerating, but not that much.)
 
With Red One still pretty much in its infancy, I think it's impossible that its creator would present a dangerous rival. C'mon: in many countries there are just a couple of units for the whole territory and almost all the feature films shot on Red have yet to be released, and if they'll look good as we all think they will, a lot of people (Hollywood people, indies and alike) will want to use it. The Red people surely want to maximize their profit, as every business man would.

I'm sure Scarlett will be a camera for the prosumer market, something that guys like me will buy since they cannot afford the RED ONE (a 30-40k setup is too much for my pockets). The only thing that puzzles me is the "pocket cam" concept: honestly, I don't feel attracted to a camera so darn small. I hope it will be something in the XVX range, maybe with the possibility of interchangeable lenses (like the upcoming Sony Z7 - minus the HDV format!!) . But I'm afraid I will be disappointed: if not, they wouldn't say it will fit our pockets.
 
my scarletq

my scarletq

how many small productions company would like an "scarlet" hd100 form factor camera with interchangeable lens priced at 6k-10k (with all the accesories to work on the field... run and gun documentary set up included?)? -and, obviusly, created with "red one filosofy"-

please, how many of you are dreaming like me? :greedy:
 
how many small productions company would like an "scarlet" hd100 form factor camera with interchangeable lens priced at 6k-10k (with all the accesories to work on the field... run and gun documentary set up included?)? -and, obviusly, created with "red one filosofy"-

please, how many of you are dreaming like me? :greedy:

What you're dreaming of is a RED One for half the price-not gonna hap'n cap'n!
 
What you're dreaming of is a RED One for half the price-not gonna hap'n cap'n!

2k is enouhgt for me, :sarcasm:

30k-40k if you want a cinematrography or publicity set up(4k) (red one)

10k if you´re a mediums/small production company (2k, scarlet)
 
This would be my first real camera...so as an indie

2K is like a blessing
24p/23.98whatever and some higher frame rates would rock
and CF Cards would be fine

I'm on a $12,000 budget all things included; camera lenses, etc. and I may have to upgrade from my iMac. So I'm kinda hoping that it'll have a good fixed lens or will come with a lens.

Scarlet- 5000
Lens - 5000
Sound Equip - 1000
Tripod - 1000
 
This would be my first real camera...so as an indie

2K is like a blessing
24p/23.98whatever and some higher frame rates would rock
and CF Cards would be fine

I'm on a $12,000 budget all things included; camera lenses, etc. and I may have to upgrade from my iMac. So I'm kinda hoping that it'll have a good fixed lens or will come with a lens.

Scarlet- 5000
Lens - 5000
Sound Equip - 1000
Tripod - 1000

absolutely agree :biggrin:

"10k with all the accesories to work on the field... run and gun documentary set up included"

i have tripod right now, and sound, so for me red team can spend this 2000$ improving scarlet , :bleh:
 
We believe that "Scarlet" is one of those cameras that comes around every quarter century or so... but then again, we are delusional.

Jim

Drat! I was hoping for the once in a century camera... :innocent:
 
delusional

delusional

please, can someone explain what it´s the meaning of delusional?

in other words... it´s good or wrong for my requirements?

can i follow dreaming?

(sorry my english)
 
RED are going to want to amortize all their R&D costs as much as they possibly can. it makes complete sense that Scarlet will be a 2k camera which records to compact flash cards only. it'll use redcode and it'll probably have variable frame rates up to 60 at least. they aren't going to reinvent the wheel. they'll use the knowledge they've gained with the RED ONE and they'll take another market. jim keeps saying some people aren't going to be happy come nab. I'm thinking sony isn't going to be happy and it has to be because of scarlet. I don't think sony would care as much about the 4k delivery system , displays or projectors.
 
The ppl at Red are smart. The Red One is a fresh new design that will not sell in quantity. I think one of the major reasons for doing scarlet is to lower the cost of sub-systems or even IP licenses by widening the market. Most car manufacturers have consolidated their varied car products on a rationalised set of subsystems to lower manufacturing costs. Having a 2k sensor and a less rugged, less versatile body is enough to distinguish it from it's big brother. I'd still prefer it to have a 35mm sensor: the rejects from Red One maybe with a better dynamic range. Red is a relatively small company and has less inertia compared to the big boys, so they can afford to undercut them. The technology they are developing is not that far out to require exorbitant R&D and impossible long term risks. Scarlet can do to Red One what the Mac did to the Apple Lisa.
 
Back
Top