Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

ILLUMINA Primes

I too had heard of mechanical issues from previous versions, and I'm not a fan of the weird color scheme (green lettering??) but seems like the mechanics may have been corrected, and if they perform close to superspeeds or RPP's but smaller/lighter/faster ... then they are worth a look. How much are they again? Who distributes them?
 
...As a more practical test, when Ketch was here in Feb we put both his master prime and an Illumina on the epic, same scene and the illumina was clearly brighter - both on the LCD and the histogram.

Indeed when Joseph and I went on our Epic American Tour our first stop was at Michael's in Miami to get the Under water housing ready for Clay's shoot in NY,
and we put the Illumina on the Epic and was also surprise to se how fast this lenses are, build quality was good but not excellent, this is were I was informed that
the new design to be showcased at NAB was a big improvement, we were supposed to get a set to do a shoot in Vegas prior to NAB and for this we went a little earlier,
but we never heard back form them, which was a bit unprofessional on their part since we did made time and move up schedules for the return to do this.

I did not see them at NAB unfortunately, so I can 't say anything about them in their new build, but for me however it is a no issue to
have the front half of the lens move forward with Focus, as when this are mounted for Cine use with a Follow Focus, either the wireless or manual, the focus ring will be
moved out of place, and also the issue remains when using a Matte Box, so for e this lenses can and will represent a great choice for Hybrid shooters then, one, never
use Follow Focus, and Two, never use fixed Matte Box on Rods.
 
I do not remember them planning to have a redesign for the issue that Ketch has mentioned. Especially when it comes to 3D motor control, it will be impossible to rack focus or zoom with these lenses due to the barrel moving back and forth...bringing of course, the focus/zoom/iris rings forwards and backwards as well. However, this may change...which would be greatly welcomed for those who want to have a follow focus unit or a fixed mattebox on rails.
 
The ones I saw at NAB barreled forward a total of approx 1/4" when going from full close focus to infinity, which is not usually a move you'd use on a shot in my opinion.

Was def not a deterrent to me when I was examining them.

Jason

Did you check out the 50mm? I think that was the one that moved forward/backward quite a bit more than the others.
 
Not a fan of any barrel forward while focusing. I tested Xenars and aside from the less than impressive image quality, the barrel forward was a true deal breaker. Anything more than a quarter inch eats away at an effective mattebox, making a three stage a two stage with your wide angle.
 
Indeed when Joseph and I went on our Epic American Tour our first stop was at Michael's in Miami to get the Under water housing ready for Clay's shoot in NY,
and we put the Illumina on the Epic and was also surprise to se how fast this lenses are, build quality was good but not excellent, this is were I was informed that
the new design to be showcased at NAB was a big improvement, we were supposed to get a set to do a shoot in Vegas prior to NAB and for this we went a little earlier,
but we never heard back form them, which was a bit unprofessional on their part since we did made time and move up schedules for the return to do this.

I did not see them at NAB unfortunately, so I can 't say anything about them in their new build, but for me however it is a no issue to
have the front half of the lens move forward with Focus, as when this are mounted for Cine use with a Follow Focus, either the wireless or manual, the focus ring will be
moved out of place, and also the issue remains when using a Matte Box, so for e this lenses can and will represent a great choice for Hybrid shooters then, one, never
use Follow Focus, and Two, never use fixed Matte Box on Rods.

Thanks Ketch. So you're saying no FF is possible because the focus ring gets dislodged during rotation? I assumed that even with the slight barrel forward, it was just primarily the front element moving and
the focus ring would remain relatively stable. Guess I was wrong ...
 
I think Tim must be simply talking about the older Illumina offerings. These lenses are also easily confused with the Optica Elites. The thing is he must be working on second hand information as most rental houses simply haven't actually seen these lenses.

Yeah, any barrel moving forward is an issue but up to a maximum of 1/2 and inch is not in anyway a deal breaker. Its fine with clip-on s and studio matt boxs have donuts, used plenty worse on FF4's. I don't see what this has to do with 3D either. 1/4 of an inch to 1/2 an inch of travel won't make much of a difference to your mirror rig.

These lenses might be a nightmare for 3D for a whole host of other reasons though! But the 3D community is not interested in T1.2 lenses. They have the UP's and Optimo rouges all matched and calibrated. These lenses are for cameramen/women. As such I am super interested! Especially as some parts won't be available for the Superspeeds in as little as 18 months.

Remember that these Illumina offerings are made by Lomo. A big factory that has been building things for a long long time. The glass itself is made by Shott (I think thats how its written). They make SO much of the glass you use in so many of the brand lenses out there.

I have my eye seriously on these lenses. Optically great apparently, mechanically they need to prove themselves and total lack of market penetration to make them contenders for dry hire. They need to get them out more as we simply haven't seen these new mechanics in the field...
 
Thanks Ketch. So you're saying no FF is possible because the focus ring gets dislodged during rotation? I assumed that even with the slight barrel forward, it was just primarily the front element moving and
the focus ring would remain relatively stable. Guess I was wrong ...

Correct Anthony, and again I have not sen the newly redesigned ones, but if the travel distance of the front end of the lens
is the same then it could easily be a deal breaker for me, especially for 3D work.

This lens design, has the focus in the back and the Iris in the front.
 
Are you saying that the actual focus ring moves forward as well? Usually only the front element travels forward (independent of the rings). I can't believe someone would design a cine lens with moving focus rings.....
 
Then it should be no problem using it with a Follow focus? I am a little confused on what Ketch is referring to when he says it's not usable with a FF...
 
This is what is says on there website:

'Our Illuminas are similar to Zeiss mechanical mechanism in that the front and rear are coupled by internal guides. This means that your focus gear does NOT move, but the front of the lens and its iris gear do track in and out, but they DO NOT ROTATE.'

Source: http://www.lumatechinc.com/S35.html
 
Indeed when Joseph and I went on our Epic American Tour our first stop was at Michael's in Miami to get the Under water housing ready for Clay's shoot in NY,
and we put the Illumina on the Epic and was also surprise to se how fast this lenses are, build quality was good but not excellent, this is were I was informed that
the new design to be showcased at NAB was a big improvement, we were supposed to get a set to do a shoot in Vegas prior to NAB and for this we went a little earlier,
but we never heard back form them, which was a bit unprofessional on their part since we did made time and move up schedules for the return to do this.

I did not see them at NAB unfortunately, so I can 't say anything about them in their new build, but for me however it is a no issue to
have the front half of the lens move forward with Focus, as when this are mounted for Cine use with a Follow Focus, either the wireless or manual, the focus ring will be
moved out of place, and also the issue remains when using a Matte Box, so for e this lenses can and will represent a great choice for Hybrid shooters then, one, never
use Follow Focus, and Two, never use fixed Matte Box on Rods.

Ketch, just so you know, Gregory has had some health issues and had a heart operation on the Monday of NAB so was unable to attend, but the new lenses were there 10 feet across the aisle from the Zeiss booth.

I do not remember them planning to have a redesign for the issue that Ketch has mentioned. Especially when it comes to 3D motor control, it will be impossible to rack focus or zoom with these lenses due to the barrel moving back and forth...bringing of course, the focus/zoom/iris rings forwards and backwards as well. However, this may change...which would be greatly welcomed for those who want to have a follow focus unit or a fixed mattebox on rails.

Well, zoom isn't an issue, since they are primes :-).
Thanks Ketch. So you're saying no FF is possible because the focus ring gets dislodged during rotation? I assumed that even with the slight barrel forward, it was just primarily the front element moving and
the focus ring would remain relatively stable. Guess I was wrong ...

I think you might be right, that the focus ring doesn't move much or maybe at all even if the barrel does extend slightly - need to check.

Edit: Just read Jason's post

Guys, I'm pretty busy working on my Aero3D rig this week but since there is so much confusion I will try to get over to Gregory's next week and make a video for you all - he only lives about about 2 miles from me.

I too had heard of mechanical issues from previous versions, and I'm not a fan of the weird color scheme (green lettering??) but seems like the mechanics may have been corrected, and if they perform close to superspeeds or RPP's but smaller/lighter/faster ... then they are worth a look. How much are they again? Who distributes them?

About $32K, they are sold direct by Gregory MIRAND at Lumatech.
 
Thanks for clarifying Michael, will look out for your review :)
 
IT makes a clip on matte box a neccesity. I passed on the Cine Xenars, and the illuminas for this reason. A traveling lens is an issue for stedicam operators, the movement of 1/2" with a clip on matte box attached and ND filter is a considerable amount of weight to be shifting during a shot. Not the end of the world, but means constant compensation. It also means bellows style matte boxes if you do decide on a static mattebox solution, and the complications there in. The travel means possible vingettign on wide lenses, and inconsistent horizon lines on graduated filters. The Xenars ( which travel a bit more) were very annoying to work with. I imagine the Illuminas being less travel, and thus less irritating, but still irritating none the less. I jut feel that my AC shouldn't have to fight with the lenses, RED/ALEXA/F3 are not DSLR's. Those days are past.
 
Back
Top