Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

If I'm recording on the epic-w and pull the battery off what will happen to the file?

David Schuurman

Active member
Joined
Jun 28, 2016
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Curious if it closes out the file via an internal battery or something or if the file is corrupted? If so is there any way to bring it back?

Just to clarify, the situation I'm asking about is if mid record, I yank the battery off, (or unplug the power with no battery attached) will the file be saved or lost?

Thanks
 
lots could happen...corrupted video file is the most favorable situation. In that cast your file would work until the end of the clip and likely crash whatever your using. if that happens, you can export the footage in RDX as a r3D clip with just the end of the clip taken off to avoid issue.
You also could fry your camera in rare cases, or your media, or other various issues that require repair. Or you just loose your footage and you have to re-format card.
 
In my experience with an Epic Dragon, the file has been OK. Didn't play back in cam, but did play back off a computer in RCX, and graded fine in Resolve.
 
Best way to find out is to pull of the battery while recoding...

I had that happen a lot of times with batteries overheating. The volts could easily overheat when in quad module and under water. As I remember the battery then just makes a brutal power down and the file is normally there but I assume it could have a corrupt end and you only get the closed segments of the file if any. Simply those parts of the r3d thats written fully to disc is there and then the last segment... I assume is unreadable or not showing at all.

but again this I did with the dragon not weapon. But assume they do about the same. Some times you need to use Read undead to get it back.
 
Thanks for the insight guys. I just had a friend have that situation happen where the battery went dead and he lost a file, but that's just conjecture so I wanted to see what the community thought.
 
If correct, if the recording was past the 4gb size, the file may work up to the last 4gb completed as it starts a new file at that point. Those multiple files get sewn together and closed when you stop recording.

I've seen files not play in the camera but playback in Redcine-X. I've also seen it not play in both (but not sure how big the recording was that got corrupted - since I didn't keep track).

Anyhow, I'm sure no one wants to corrupt a file but batteries do die.
 
Back
Top