Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

How To Get Non RED CF Cards to Work?

Hm I was involved in several TV-series, features and shorts on R1 on RED drives, and we didn't lose frames.
But you have to... like not go into a helicopter... just for starters.

Shot R1 last time quite exactly 2 years ago. Worked just fine. (On disk on a concert. Just had to protect the drive)

But I understand what you say.

My suggestion was just to test it to see if you can have RC42 at 4k 16:9. I think limit is UHD.
And I doubt media is the culprit.
 
[STIRS POT] Has anyone recently tried removing the CF module from the side of a RED One to directly attach an SSD drive the exposed SATA connector? [/STIRS POT]
 
[STIRS POT] Has anyone recently tried removing the CF module from the side of a RED One to directly attach an SSD drive the exposed SATA connector? [/STIRS POT]
I think you will run straight into a wall with this. I vaguely remember someone trying this way back when and can't remember the details but i think you will find the firmware will prevent this.
 
Like back in 2009?

yeah... Im not sure who Sandisk made these 64gb cards for.. they dont seem to work in normal cameras.. our 16GB don't either, but that's because we had to custom make them to optimize them for our camera.
 
Last edited:
Opening up R1 to all CF cards would be great for the whole RED ecosystem. As increases the odds people like myself will take their first step on to the RED ladder.

As I've shot a few times with an R1, but I can't see myself ever buying one for myself. Not when there are such attractive alternatives instead out there such as a Sony PMW-F3 (my current camera) or an URSA Mini / Sony FS7 (one of these will probably be my next camera).

But opening up the R1 to larger cards would go some way towards making it at least a more attractive option for me to consider as well.
 
Has anyone figured out if this will work or found a workaround for 3rd party cards? Would make life so much easier to just pop in a high capacity CF card, especially for steadycam work too vs. using the big clunky hardrives.
 
Back
Top