Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Headphones for editing ADVICE needed

I'm a big fan of the Sony MDR-7510's. A hundred bucks, great fit, very flat sound compared to the "peaky" EQ of their previous (very widely-used) 7506's.
 
Editing or mixing? For editing, just about anything decent will due. Just head to you're local music/audio dealer and try some out. Comfort is probably the most important thing. And if you are working in a noisy environment you will want something "closed back" for more isolation. "Open back" in general tend to be more accurate and comfortable. Good luck in your search.
 
I'm a big fan of the Sony MDR-7510's. A hundred bucks, great fit, very flat sound compared to the "peaky" EQ of their previous (very widely-used) 7506's.

Marc are you using the 7510's when your recording sound in the field? Ie on a boom? We use the 7506's ourselves, but yeah they are as you say very peaky (good description).
 
I have the Sennheiser HD 650s. They are open backs, so not the best for isolation. But they are very comfortable and I can wear them all day while editing.
I also have some Audio-Technica ATH-M50s and they are good too. Not as comfortable as the 650s.
 
If you have a lot of noise around, you might consider noise-canceling headphones - that said they are definitely not for mixing as they boost certain frequencies and lack in others. That said, noise canceling headphone help for editing long hours at lower DB's in noisy environnement. This is something that needs to be taken in account as working at high volumes for many hours will wear you down in the long run.

If you want to mix with your headphones, then open-back is the way to go. Sennheiser 650's and its variants are fantastic. If your on a budget, then the sony 7506(which is the pair you see everywhere) just for the fact that if you ever have to edit in a post-prod studio, there's a 99% chance there is at least one pair so you have the same reference all the time.
 
For both accurate dialog and for noisy environments I use the beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-80-ohm closed back studio mixing headphones. There are two ohm ratings on this, the lower impedance ones I think do better if your directly plugging them into your computer. A lot of this has to do with ear cover, the circular ear cover works better for my ear type.
 
We use some cheap Logitech USB headphones with a fold out microphone. Works great especially considering that I do most of my client presentations with screen share over Skype. Then I can confortably sit and chat with them while showing them the desktop of my computer.

The phone salesmen feature is way more important to me than actual good sound. I guess its different if you work in a sound studio.
 
I second the Sony MDR - I have the Sennheiser HD 280s and I prefer the fit and feel of the Sonys. They're much lighter and fit better, while the 280s are heavier and offer a much tighter fit.
 
Back
Top