Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

HAPPY 8 YEARS TO THE GROUP THAT PICKED UP THEIR RED ONES ON 09/07/07

dino g

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
1,847
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Venice, CA; Rye, NH; Boca Raton, FL; NYC
Website
red31.com
YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE ...8 years of living the dream. thank you again and again to brent, jarred, jim, ted, kelly, stewart, big john, sean r, rob, graeme, and michael.


here is a video of that day, shot with an HDV camera, but super compressed and then compressed again...perhaps ill find the original and share it if any one cares.

enjoy,

dino

 
They were a well oiled machine by the time you got there Dino ;-)
Wayyyy back on August 31st ;-) hehe, I remember getting camera firmware timestamped less than 2 hours before I was holding #19.
Nothing like the smell of fresh firmware...

Great ride indeed.

Cheers - #19
 
This is awesome! I remember all of this and these posts! :)
 
There's a saying "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as soon as I could."

Well, I was born in Texas so no problem there... however, I did not know about RED until February 2007, but I got one (two, actually) as soon as I could.
 
Absolutely try to find the original. I love history stuff. This is priceless. Thank you for sharing.
 
That is a tremendous video actually. What strikes me about it is the general overview that Matt did.

It's insane how far modularity and rigging have come since this video.

"This camera's a tank".

Love that.
 
Oh... Remember the excitement:

When is #930 ready to ship??????
(and 5 months later my number was up)


Thanks a lot Dino.
 
Last edited:
I remember flying down to Irvine to attend Red day. It was much later than yours. I recall watching a video of Michael Cioni. I can't remember if Michael was actually on hand or not. That was discussing the post side. Good times!

One thing that has come out of the Red experience for me are the friendships I have made over the years because of the camera. I really enjoy being a TA for Reducation. Spending a few days with folks passionate about the same things. Also hanging out with Erin and the other TAs is always fun. Having lunch on Sunday with the other TAs at the place next to thunder studios before the week begins.
 
That was no video, Stacey:) That was me in the flesh:)

I used to drive down to RED HQ every other Friday and meet all the new camera owners and give a presentation about the RED workflow. It was so new and different, I barely understood it myself. Then my good friend and mentor, Leon Silverman said to me,

"The best teachers in modern technology are only 1 semester ahead of their students."

Sound familiar?
Sound exciting?

I must have done that class which we called "RED DAYS" a hundred times! I think I still have the slides! Sometimes Lucas Wilson would join me after Brent and Kelly would start things off and Dan would run the projector. We didn't know it at the time, but together (students and teachers and bomb squaders) we were literally trail-blazing something that was changing cinema forever. Today what we were doing in 2007 seems obvious, but back then, it was a real-life Fight Club. Those days represented why the RED community is so strong - we had to stick together and figure things out as they were happening! Being that close to the technological edge is one of the most liberating feelings a creative can experience. And all the camera owners, post professionals, do-it-yourselfers, and RED employees could rely on these lasting relationships to make everything better…and that's exactly what happened…

Sometimes when I read posts or hear people speak ill of RED and criticize how and why it works I try not to argue with them. The reason is they simply weren't there when it counted. They believe they have license to criticize RED because it is a standard, available, competitive product. And they are certainly free to do so. But it's easier to jump on any bandwagon and speak your mind after something exists than it is to improve it during critical incubation phases.

Based on something I once heard Steve Jobs say, I once said in response to criticisms of iPhone after Samsung released Galaxy, "Building a life-altering device like iPhone is relatively easy…compared to thinking it up...which is what no one else did." The iPhone is not a perfect product, and Samsung has certainly contributed to improving smart phone technology for all manufacturers. It's easier to reject something you don't respect…or even fully understand. So if you are a RED believer and were there at the beginning, you can't blame the peripheral critics because they weren't there to experience what we did. I think if career critics even had the slightest glimpse of what we really accomplished as a community of believers and risk takers, they would pause a moment before generically exhibiting what they believe is "unequivocally flawed." When we give appropriate pause and form the relationships necessary to provide improvements, we actually become part of the solution instead of intensifying existing problems.

…but that's a lot harder than voicing criticisms...

I find the people who complain the loudest are either
A) deeply threatened by emerging disruptive technologies, or
B) lacking the skills and vision to improve something constructively

Dino's post is a good reminder to us all that RED didn't just change the world, we all did as a team of uncoordinated misfits who refused to play by the rules. All of you who were there at the beginning know what I'm talking about. And I miss you guys;-)


Hey, that gives me an idea…
Let's do it again.


Michael

good post, Dino:-)
 
This is a great read. Hard to believe that was 8 years ago. I joined Reduser about then. It was a different forum then; lots of in detail discussion daily about the makings of the camera with Jim, Jarred, Dean and Graeme (most of which I couldn't comprehend). And not a 'For sale' thread in sight.
 
Back
Top