Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Handheld rig for follow focus

Linda Barzini

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2009
Messages
269
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Chicago
I am looking to make a handheld rig for a bartech wireless follow focus, AC7 monitor, and teradek bolt receiver. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a rig or handle system? Also, what is a good battery for this system? I think my AB HC-Dionics are too large for handheld.

Something like this.
 
I have my AC's use exactly that...but I think you'll find that for remote follow focusing, it's easier to have the remote controller around your neck and have the monitor stand mounted. You can pick up the wooden camera monitor support system - which I also have and can be threaded onto stands, add all kinds of batteries, accessories to it via the threaded mounts and then just hand hold the focus unit that's hooked on via a lanyard. My AC's favorite route to go!

The problem is the RR offering is it isn't the best to hold and isn't really that balanced, plus, you're limited on how you position the monitor. WC's offering plus stand mounted is the best IMO.

For mobile/doc/run-n-gun work, if the bar tech has threaded mounts, you can mount everything around the bar tech via magic arms and have the focus be your "hub." Done it many times and it works well when you need to be on the move constantly.
 
That's a monstrosity- it doesn't need to be that big.
I think both RT motion and Small HD have a HH monitor/FF chassis in the works.
We are making one as well for the OptiTron2 with our 10" monitor or the likes ofSmallHD, TV logic, etc..
I'm sure there will be more of these coming out- the off monitor focusing is becoming more popular- main stream even...
 
I have the Pro Aim version and works fine once I upgraded all my bolts at Home Depot, the ones that came with it did not allow you to tighten enough to keep the unit together. The lanyard that came with it has already broken, so perhaps Wooden is a better investment if you go that direction. The other thing is it comes with a v-mount battery mount on the back, but this does take away places to screw in anything you want to attach. Don't like the magic arms I currently have as they loosen, so still need to invest to make this work more elegantly.
 
The bartech follow focus does not have any mounting brackets. Can anyone figure out how this guy attached the Bartech to the rig?

EDIT: I just saw a zip tie.
 
Last edited:
I've mostly done this with an RT motion as a base but the principal should be the same.

Dual lock Velcro the teradeck to the monitor, handle on one side, bracket/ magic arm for the focus unit. 4 way d-tap extension cable tied to the rig somewhere ergonomic. IDX slim battery in a belt pouch on my back with the d-tap extension running into the side of it.

Granted, getting a bartech attached is a bit more hassle. But of Velcro and a cable tie should be plenty strong enough most of the time.

Alternatively, I've seen drone pilots use those self supporting shoulder rigs to hold a monitor and battery in place. Keep the bartech separate, encourage the AC to look away from the screen from time to time ;)
 
Back
Top