Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Green Tint with Dragon Sensor

Kyle Kelley

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
179
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Yonkers, NY
Website
www.bullmoosepictures.net
Hey all,

While with the MX sensor I had problems with IR pollution using ND filters leading to a magenta hue, I find the opposite is true for the Dragon sensor. If I'm not using ND filters, I find the image tends to have a pretty off-putting green tint. I've attached a couple images for comparison. Both were shot at 4KHD, 320 ISO, 5000 Kelvin. The greener image is with the tint set to zero, the more neutral image has a tint of -10. Anyone else have this issue?
 

Attachments

  • Green Tint.jpg
    Green Tint.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
  • B001_C028_0108SY_S001.0005456.jpg
    B001_C028_0108SY_S001.0005456.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
Do you have a shot with real daylight without windows filtering? I don't have such a green tint in my Dragon footage.
The pink tint is a bit too much in this example.

Pat
 
Need to know a few things. When was the last time you Black Shaded? Also, which OLPF? Do you ever white balance to a card on location?
 
Hard to say, but I wouldn't call this picture to green considering the cloudy weather and the surrounding forest/grass... now on this picture I would also warmed a tiny bit and probably put some red in it.
Do you use DEB to debayer Skintone OLPF? (DEB also introduce some green)

Pat
 
I black shade pretty regularly -- I know I black shaded right before starting the project these stills are from, because I had just updated my firmware. This was the Skin Tone Highlight OLPF. And no, I don't generally balance to a card on location.
 
Here's another example. Both at 5600, ISO 400. Greener image has tint set to 0, the other image is at -5.
 

Attachments

  • Carey_1.1.1.jpg
    Carey_1.1.1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0
  • Carey2_1.1.2.jpg
    Carey2_1.1.2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
Here's another example. Both at 5600, ISO 400. Greener image has tint set to 0, the other image is at -5.

The Skintone OLPF is a little more almond than the Standard OLPF. If you like that bias towards magenta try the Standard. I got one to make exposure on a "natural" light shoot and it definitely is a slight bit pinker. I kind of like the Skintone Highlight OLPF.
 
Tint and wb values are there to be adjusted, don't freak out.

No light source is going to give you a perfect 0 ... rest assured this is not some unwanted polluting IR or similar.
WB to a reference card and good to go.
 
Best to shoot a color chart in the lighting setup and then pick a white balance around middle grey in post.

Or or get an 18% grey card and do a white balance with the camera under the lighting conditions.

So so many variables here, even high CRI led's might leave a tint swingin either direction, but -5 seems pretty "normal" with the STH OLPF.

david
 
Skin tone olpf is green, lowlight is magenta

Alexa favors green just as a fun fact
 
STH = green.
LLO = orange.

Just adjust the white balance and tint to get it accurate.

 
John is 100% right... a -5 or -10 tint setting is all within range of expected lighting conditions.

My advice is to get a colour chart in flat to the camera and use it to set tint and CT later when looking at a colour accurate monitor in a controlled environment.

PS and also perhaps consider getting individul light source readings as well (if under very mixed compound lighting...) I sometimes 'show' the chart to specific lights becuase the flat front reading is less relevant.
 
Back
Top