Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

FS: Red Pelican Case

sold- how do I get you the money (assuming I'm not out bid)
 
FOR SALE:
Like new, never used RED branded (literally branded) Pelican case. This case has laser-cut foam specifically for the RED ONE camea and accessories. We took delivery of the case but never used it. $600 OBO

Would you care to share your laser cutting specifications for those of us hoping to do the same?

Thanks in advance!

Dylan Macleod, CSC
Cinematographer
Toronto, Canada
www.dylanmacleod.com
 
Yes, this case was made by RED and I bought it from them. I wanted a different configuration so I had a custom case built and I dont need this case anymore.

I will post the files as soon as I have some time in the other thread I started here:
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6064

Post #66 has photos of the case I built.
 
Yeah I saw a site with pictures of them branding the cases by hand:

blow_torch3_thumb.jpg

blow_torch5_thumb.jpg
 
Wow, is that legal? It would be like buying a Ford sticking on a Ferrari sticker and then upping the resale price?

From the story on the site- that is RED's branding iron. They just did it for fun to some cases that Jim custom ordered. I guess it's as legal as branding any other property you might own.

I don't know if any of that is true, but it's a fun story. Oh lord- I think t've become a RED fanboy...

Anyway we priced the same case (i'm pretty sure) with custom foam and it was about the same.
 
From the story on the site- that is RED's branding iron. They just did it for fun to some cases that Jim custom ordered. I guess it's as legal as branding any other property you might own.

I don't know if any of that is true, but it's a fun story. Oh lord- I think t've become a RED fanboy...

Anyway we priced the same case (i'm pretty sure) with custom foam and it was about the same.

Ok so that me in the picture with the branding Iron.

Here is the real background behind the cases. Jim had a set of 6 cases (I think it was 6 ) made personally for his own use. A couple of us flew in from out of town and needed cases at RED day 1,... Jim kindly let us buy his cases - and at a price I still think was a gift.

One of the guys, Jarred asked if I wanted to Brand mine - as RED had a branding iron - Of course I agreed as this was way too much fun !!!
I discovered this was actually the second iron that they had made the first had not been reversed - so it read back to front and upside down!!

Anyway a couple of the other guys also wanted to brand their cases... I think I went second and perhaps due to my "outback, down under" breeding it was decided that I was a natural at this and I go to brand a few of the others cases - in addition to my own.

So
yes the case is RED branded -
yes it was at RED - on the first ever RED day -
yes Red or rather Jim sold us the cases -
yes it was Extremely nice of him - no there was no surcharge (man I hope that remark was a joke)... in fact the opposite...they were a steal, IMHO.
and yes we use our case still every time we fly the camera anywhere as it is the safest and most carefully cut RED case we own. It is does require breaking the camera down fully - which can slow you down - but it has seen our RED go around the globe now twice without incident.

Mike #22
 
So
yes the case is RED branded -
yes it was at RED - on the first ever RED day -
yes Red or rather Jim sold us the cases -
yes it was Extremely nice of him - no there was no surcharge (man I hope that remark was a joke)... in fact the opposite...they were a steal, IMHO.
and yes we use our case still every time we fly the camera anywhere as it is the safest and most carefully cut RED case we own. It is does require breaking the camera down fully - which can slow you down - but it has seen our RED go around the globe now twice without incident.

Mike #22

Thanks Mike- exactly why I want this case! (Not yours specifically, DigiFX's)
 
I'm not questioning the case per se, I'm just surprised that it would be legal to buy a product from company A, modify it and then sell it as a product from company B whilst it still carries the emblem and logotype of company A. I just find that a bit surprising. I trust it is all above board as I wouldn't imagine that Jim would do anything untoward but it just strikes me as a bit 'off'.

No big one.
Mark.
 
Back
Top