Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

From OLPF 2 to OLPF 1

Hi Bob,
this is just to show the level of noise @ iso 2000 with OLPF 2. If I had seen a picture like this before , I would have thought twice before choosing the olpf 2.
 
Hi Bob,
this is just to show the level of noise @ iso 2000 with OLPF 2. If I had seen a picture like this before , I would have thought twice before choosing the olpf 2.

Paul, this is out of context. You are showing a part of an image that's under exposed. Please provide an R3D to tell the whole story. From your own admission, you said you are new to using RED. Perhaps we can help you get the most from your camera.
 
Thanks for posting Paul. Looking at the image reveals that its severally under exposed. Your histogram is way on the left. Your F2.8 lens needs to be a little faster or add more light. Also, its very important to wait for the camera to get proper temperature before black shading.
 
No matter what- v2 OLPF is letting less light and hit the sensor, it is a darker filter so therefore you will inherently have more noise
Than v1
It depends on how you expose it. Yes, less light hits the sensor in v2 olpf ASSUMING that you rate both sensors at the same iso. If you use a light meter like I do, and rate v2 olph at 320 iso, you are now giving v2 olpf 1.3 stops more of light than v1 therefore negating the darkness of the v2 olph and moving your 18% gray point brighter and farther away from the noise floor, thus improving the noise. The camera will now map 18% gray at a brighter value than at 800 and my guess is that the noise will be equivalent between the two sensors. The difference is that now you need 1.3 stops more light into your set. For some of us that's a lot more light to have to come up with. At t2.8 thats the difference between 12 footcandles and 32 footcandles. 12 footcandles is very doable in many situations, especially when using natural/ambient light thats already there. 36 footcnadles exponentially bumps up your lighting needs.
 
All I can say is I totally love OLPF1 for its sensitivity! I don't feel hand cuffed anymore! But I'm really looking forward to swappable OLPFs so I can use the Skintone OLPF during exterior daylight shoots.

By the way I notice that DEB cleans up OLPF1 footage too. It might take a little too much red out of the overall image, but I like what it does to the noise.
 
@ Paul.

I can trigger "none" and "a lot" of noise on any cam I know at any ISO.

So your image isn't really very informative. I am tempted to take it down. Not because you're disappointed or because of "censorship", but because it is pretty misleading :)

Why is that misleading?

1) It doesn't say anything about the exposure. (and an ISO setting on a cam is NOT an exposure. But amount of photons relate closely to exposure)
2) It doesn't give us anything to relatively understand anything from. A comparison with a different camera shot with the same settings and for the same deliverable, would at least give us a hunch.

It's no problem for me showing "noise" from any camera. It doesn't say much more than "hey, this is what noise looks like on camera X"

I'll let it stay for you to answer, but if you cannot contextualize your input somehow, it will go.

Adam. Glad you're happpy.
With OLPF 1 it looked like to me that the Dragon was going "a bit more than a stop" under MX. From what I could see, it also went a bit higher than the MX.

It's a lovely thing.

G
 
All I can say is I totally love OLPF1 for its sensitivity! I don't feel hand cuffed anymore! But I'm really looking forward to swappable OLPFs so I can use the Skintone OLPF during exterior daylight shoots.

By the way I notice that DEB cleans up OLPF1 footage too. It might take a little too much red out of the overall image, but I like what it does to the noise.

There is also a de noise filter in RCX so maybe for OLPF footage you can use the slider to taste instead of the DEB which might be too much.

Battistella
 
OLPF1 make Dragon feel similar to MX and several new cameras. Cool thing about OLPF2 with DEB is that I think it feels like vision t-grain 5279.
 
ps. To be honest, i wish one OLPF did it all. but sadly not.

True. On the other hand, unexpected incidents can sometimes open all new ways to look at things, and with the additional options that will soon be available such as IR, Monochrome and others.. all so easy, I'm still happy things happened the way they did..
 
I shot an off-road race tonight, available light. While the OLPF2 performed admirably at ISO 1000, it was not as clean as the MX in the same conditions. (Couple of shots below w/DEB, otherwise untouched).
It's in these situations, where you don't have control over the light, that OLPF2 struggles more than the MX used to. Daylight is a completely different story, very creamy and film-like.


15292192651_434d427752_k.jpg



15108502949_8ba64530e9_k.jpg
 
Last edited:
Thanks for posting some samples Milan.

I see more clearly where you are coming from and your POV. Pixel peeping there is more texture, but the whole image has a nice overall richness. MX favored the blacks with a hard clipped highlight so there was more to dig out of the shadows which is what people are missing a bit in V2.

What was the lens and stop here?
 
I shot an off-road race tonight, available light. While the OLPF2 performed admirably at ISO 1000, it was not as clean as the MX in the same conditions. (Couple of shots below w/DEB, otherwise untouched).
It's in these situations, where you don't have control over the light, that OLPF2 struggles more than the MX used to. Daylight is a completely different story, very creamy and film-like.


15292192651_434d427752_k.jpg



15108502949_8ba64530e9_k.jpg

beautiful shot Milano :) :) .. I like cars :)
I saw that you also filmed the race uphill. Pikes Peak. for the competitor Sebastian Loeb (he be great)?
I filmed a few times I even for the Renault Jean Ragnotti :) Renault 5 Turbo 2 tour de course :)

I understand your sentiment Milan, true MX to be more sensitive, but Dragon have less contamination .. I prefer a bit more noise than the blue tungsten .. But I understand you.

Filming often races? climb, slalom or rally?
 
Hey Luigi, Ive been doing a lot of car stuff lately, a variety really but I do love rally. That Renault 5 is an awesome machine.

It was great witnessing Loeb's Pikes Peak record an Peugeot's triumphant return to the mountain.

Old and the new!

1082372_10201791190049740_257394511_o.jpg
 
Hey Luigi, Ive been doing a lot of car stuff lately, a variety really but I do love rally. That Renault 5 is an awesome machine.

It was great witnessing Loeb's Pikes Peak record an Peugeot's triumphant return to the mountain.

Old and the new!

1082372_10201791190049740_257394511_o.jpg

fuck ahaah, I feel the smell of petrol ... hahaha I like too heheh be a drug for me :)
I liked a lot the 205 Turbo :)
best wishes for your shots with Dragon, I hope you bring home beautiful things :)
good luck :)
Sebastian go as fast as the wind :) at full throttle in doubt, keep it down on the accelerator;)
make a few posts every now and then .. I love these things :)
 
Cheers David.

Red RPZ 17-50mm at T2.9
3200k
ISO1000

No filtration.

nice. Yeah. If that lens was t2 or 1.8 it would be awesome. I think someone has rehoused the sigma 1.8 18-35 not as much zoom range but probably a nice option.

I'm excited to have both OLPF options.

Battistella
 
I shot an off-road race tonight, available light. While the OLPF2 performed admirably at ISO 1000, it was not as clean as the MX in the same conditions. (Couple of shots below w/DEB, otherwise untouched).
It's in these situations, where you don't have control over the light, that OLPF2 struggles more than the MX used to. Daylight is a completely different story, very creamy and film-like.


15292192651_434d427752_k.jpg





15108502949_8ba64530e9_k.jpg
Milan, great shots. And while image two is stunning, image one seems lacking a teensy-weensy amount of finer focus on the toggle switches. Was that a result of lower light or just a visual choice?
 
Back
Top