Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Form factor

RED is focussed on getting 4K/24p for now. Once they establish the new platform, may be the next generation might be more ergonomic. With built in LCD screen, EVF, Microphone, etc.

Now you can appreciate why Sony, Panasonic and others spend millions on designing ergonomic forms.
I heard Panasonic is using the HVX form for their 4K/24p 2/3" lens camcoder coming out in 2008.
Haven't heard what design Sony would adopt. Probably one of their existing forms.

Not sure what youve heard, but Scarlett wont be competing with the RED one. This may certainly mean no 4k. Secondly, I'm sorry, but a pocket cam is ALL about ergonomics, as hand held usage plays a big role. Thirdly, where did you get HVX from? Its a pocket camera. HVX shouldnt even be on the tables as far as form factor goes.. I fail to see the HVX fitting in anybodies pocket or pockets. Unless you happen to be Jabba the hutt.
 
Then again, you may recall the early prototypes of the RED 1 that generated such excitement - "It's smaller than a DVX, but it's s35 and 4K!" Things change...
 
Not sure what youve heard, but Scarlett wont be competing with the RED one.

Hi,

Many people are moving up from HVX to Red one, also people are planning to use Red for ENG & EFP (is Gibby watching) work. IMHO Scarlet will be in competition to Red one and every other video camera ever made

Stephen
 
Hi,

Many people are moving up from HVX to Red one, also people are planning to use Red for ENG & EFP (is Gibby watching) work. IMHO Scarlet will be in competition to Red one and every other video camera ever made

Stephen

I agree absolutely. I just don't think in terms of technical specs it will be in competition. That would be market cannibalism for red.

Whether it adopts the s35mm standard or not will determine a lot of things for this camera. IMHO, i care less about 4k than I do about 35mm photography.
 
Hey Acehole, nice render!
imthatoneguy, I agree that whatever goes into processing and storing the image could be at the end of a cable. I told this to the guys at Dalsa at a seminar a while back... "you know, if just the lensboard and sensor could be tethered by a cable, who cares where the refrigerator goes?" or something like that. They did not see the need for this.
Imagine Acehole's ball, and then whatever "guts" you need to process the image in a Red One sized (not shaped) box that could go in a fanny pack or whatever. And not just for skydiving. Car shots, location shots where you can't move a wall... I can't tell you how many times I've literally jammed a camera in the corner of a kitchen or bathroom...
I know that holding "the ball" seems like a good idea, but how about a 1/4"-20 or 3/8"-16 tapped hole on top, bottom, and back? Mounting a sphere will require some sort of hard screw-in points.
And why not 4K? Did Jim say that it would be "cheaper"? Or just "smaller"? What if it was MOS? Or limited speed changes? No EVF and a strange form factor alone might ensure that it won't cannibalize Red One, at least on movies or commercials...
Cheers,
Harry
 
Since the wrist movement is the most problematic factor concerning shake with a camera size like this, I believe additional adapter for constraining its movement would be very useful.

Also - to keep the size as small as possible most of the connectors should be moved to either docking station or wearable breakout box. You could also think about going with modularity even further. For example - sensor & controls in the hand while compression electronics and solid state media in the wearable modules- connected via fiber-optic.

Also I think it would be very useful if CF reader and SSD modules could be swappable.

The other form factor besides Ace's design (which should be great for the most of the situations provided it has a good grip and available attachments for mounting) could be gun style. With this form it would be useful to allow the handle to rotate, depending on a shooting angle.

In terms of balance I don't see any other options of holding the camera. Usual side grip as seen on most of the camera's this size should be out of the question.
 
And yeah, great job, Ace.
 
Nice Ace! now if that ball just was tethered to the module that would process and dump to CF we'd have a full unit.

Oh, and I like the form compare picture, I definitely see the source of inspiration. :-)
 
Huh? I thought that would be all done in the camera.. If the technology is small enough then why not.
 
Some might prefer a "formfactor" like this:
scarlettjohansson.jpg

That looks extremely ergonomic but it is definitely not pocket sized. And while stereo for 3D would be a prime target it shouldn't be the default.
 
Huh? I thought that would be all done in the camera.. If the technology is small enough then why not.

No reason not do it if it's possible.
However, if we are talking about all the connectors it could get very messy putting them all onto Scarlet. Wearable breakout box is a must IMO.
 
Maybe when they say RED Mini, they literally mean it, like its a RED ONE body, but was put in front of a shrink ray so its the same size, just scaled down. The brackets for connecting all the accessories would all be in the same spots so you can swap them between cameras.
 
May get a lot of heat for this, but heres something I quickly put together..What if the form factor was a ball. Something you could hold from any side, and still maintain the ergonomic shape of your hand (in a cupping position).

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

tex_nab_2007.jpg


Stole the pic from engadget... Anyway, I asked way back when if the body of "Tex" (the spider) could potentially be a possible housing for a future camera. Someone told me "no". But still fun to think about. Actually, I'm still thinking there's a possibility. Perhaps "Scarlet" is a pocket camera in that the body itself can fit in a pocket. But look at Tex... Ample room for a lens mount. Very compact. Could attach accessory handles or a pistol grip if wanted. Looks like 15mm (maybe even 19mm) rods could be accommodated with something similar to those bulbous protrusions on the base of Tex's body.

...Just speculatin'
 
why cant we buy souvenirs like this ( which one of those two you can guess :))

oh no scarlet has a highway between heir eyebrows
 
Okay, seriously Red crew.....Tex is way too cool not to be on a t-shirt AND a poster.
 
Ace,

I think you're on to something with the "orb" design. I think you need something though to keep the orientation inline. Even before I saw your render, I imagined something like an SLR body/grip with a sphere embedded inside. Essentially what you've rendered, but add an SLR-style grip around the outside. The camera could basically roll 360', and pitch/yaw about 30', within the grip. Perhaps there are 'snaps' at 15' intervals, so you can easily align the camera back to a "default" orientation for those moments when you bolt it to a set of sticks.
 
That spider RED thing, looks like it would be a cool RC toy car or something you would have seen on BattleBots like 6 years ago. But it does appear that a lens could be attached to the front, some 15mm rods underneath, an LCD would be on top being able to rotate however you want. Or it would be right on the back like a regular DSLR camera. Or on the back would be the menu screen like the RED ONE.
 
Back
Top