Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Foolcontrol disconnect

Simon Lok

Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2014
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Anybody out there seeing sorta frequent disconnects between their weapon and foolcontrol?
 
Hello Simon

It could be a busy network channel / environment or a top plate / camera accessory reducing wifi range

Various stuff that could help make it more robust (in no particular order) :

- putting phone in airplane mode and enabling only wifi

- changing the wifi channel if using ad hoc network (default channel 1 for example is not the best one and is often very crowded)

- switching to infrastructure mode using a router on set. Sadly I never found Ad hoc to be a reliable connection method whenever you have too much other wireless stuff around. Even a USB powered router like this can do wonders : http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR802N-Wireless-Repeater-300Mbps/dp/B00TQEX8BO

- email foolcontrol at foolcolor.net so I can help you directly

- pray the 3rd party gods for a wifi extension camera accessory (might actually be coming very soon). I'm not an engineer but the DSMC2 2.4 Ghz wifi antenna is located under the top fan plastic cover and could certainly benefit being larger or external one.

Let me know

Mikael
 
Thanks Mika for the TP-Link suggestion!

I shot a feature last year where I had often disconnects even on channel 6...

It's declared as 5V 1A power consumption, have you measured the actual current draw of it??? ;)

Thanks again!!!!!
 
- pray the 3rd party gods for a wifi extension camera accessory (might actually be coming very soon). I'm not an engineer but the DSMC2 2.4 Ghz wifi antenna is located under the top fan plastic cover and could certainly benefit being larger or external one.

Also praying for this! Any sort of top plate accessory makes the adhoc outright unusable. Someone definitely needs to get on this.

Until then, it's wifi only, with that mini extender router that you proposed!

Fantastic app either way. :)
 
Also, in regards to the channel, is there any way to maybe program an "auto channel" feature where it scans for the cleanest channel automatically?
 
I don't have a top plate on my camera at all and the camera disconnects all the time. It is on par with the dreaded REDMOTE for reliability. Fool control is a great app, but not as useful when the camera is such a weak link in the wireless chain. I have invested in this industrial access point and run in infrastructure mode on camera. Even still it is not that reliable. I'll be testing more and more on each job but the tests I've done in my house are not that promising.

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/picostationm/

iOs devices don't seem to have a problem staying connected to the network.
 
Eric have you been trying several channels ?

I use an app called 'wifi scanner' from Mac app store to find the best one depending on surrounding channels / strenght.

It is sad the in camera wifi does not work on 5Ghz or comes with a stronger signal strenght / external antenna like the #xenomorph.

Feel free to email me so we can try to make it work better with your setup at home.
 
Back
Top