Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Follow focus advice needed

Dominik Bauch

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 20, 2015
Messages
131
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles
Hi,

Finding a decent follow focus is killing me!

I'm running an Epic Dragon on 19mm studio rails and want to try and keep my rig small-ish and relatively light.

First off I went cheap and tried the Lanparte FF, which was not so great.

Then I went for an O Connor CFF-1, the one I got had a very unsmooth motion - I happened to have a Tilta ff-05 lying around and that was like butter in comparison. Crazy but true. I must've got a bad one?

The Tilta TT-05 isn't bad but is very wide and when using it caused vibrations that could be clearly seen on footage (and heard as it rattled my matte box...) Otherwise held up surprisingly well build quality wise to the O Connor CFF-1.

Now I'm getting bored of this game and either I go back and get another O Connor CFF-1 (one that works) or I try the Arri FF-5. My only concern with the Arri is the weight. Does anyone know the weight? Impossible to find anywhere. Also how wide is it without the handwheels?

Anyone have any advice on this? Very frustrating finding a pro FF with a smallish footprint that runs smoothly on 19mm rails without crazy risers and adapters.
Also anyone have experience with the O Connor DM? Looks decent but worried that I'll regret in in the future...

Thanks in advance,

Dom
 
i actually bought one of those http://www.shoot35.com ones because everyone was raving about them, i had litttle to no expectations but when it arrived and i put it to use i feel like its the best deal ive ever got on anything.
 
Yes revolver. But to answer your question, the ff5 is super light, not sure the weight, but I'd call it very light
 
Just get an Arri FF4 and you'll never need another manual follow focus. The FF5 has a lower 1:1 gear ratio for shorter throw lenses, the FF4 is the standard 2:1. FF5 works great on LW15 with the snap-on bridge, but for Studio 15/19 I prefer the FF4. I own an OFocus DM and it's ok. But it's not an FF4.
 
All the Arri FFs I've used have had extreme backlash issues. In my opinion they're over-priced gear that caused a lot more in-precise operation than any other FFs I've used. I would look closely at the Bright Tangerine Revolvr. I'm not sure about the price point since they seem to have increased it since they first revealed it, but if their marketing is correct there will be zero backlash and high quality built. They also have the Revolvr Atom which is the same design but smaller (and only one-sided operation at a time).
 
Fine tune your CFF-1 and it will be tight and precise. Mine had backlash when I bought it used. Took it apart, adjusted everything, trial and error on some tight Pro Primes, and now
it's at 0%, super tight. Only drawback is that it is tight, a little more hand torque needed to turn on tough lenses, so not great for handheld when you might want to turn the wheel
with just your thumb or something
 
I always been happy with chroziel.
Also I've been impressed by the quality and the zero backlash of the "lensse" 5. You can't bear this quality at that price.
 
I just wish the Bright Tangerine's were available today, seems like 1st quarter next year. Look good though for sure.
 
Is ff4 still available new? Thought it was discontinued. Also looks like a heavy beast. Guessing that ff5 is lighter. Anyone know if it's roughly the same weight as the O Connor CFF-1?
 
If you want a serious follow focus it's an FF-4 or FF-5 and that's basically it. They are industry standards for a reason.

The FF-4 is noticeably heavier than the FF-5 but they are built for different purposes. The FF-4 is better suited for big studio set ups while the FF-5 is more at home on a modern day light camera rig.

I don't know if FF-4's are still on sale so that may influence your decision for you.

(All that being said I am still interested in trying out a BT revolver. After the misfit atom, I've started paying a lot more attention to BT.)
 
For me at the moment the top 3 follow focus units are:

- Arri FF-5
- OConnor CFF-1
- Bright Tangerine Revolvr

BT hasn't shipped just yet, but I've had one in my hands. It's very good. I purchased the CFF-1 over the FF-5 a long while ago. It's something I use on every shoot. It's performed very well for me.
 
Thanks for the insights, think I might try the FF5, the Revolvr looks pretty bad ass but I can't wait 3 months or so for it...
 
Just got the Arri FF-5. Way lighter than I thought, with 19mm studio bridge plate adapter. Have to weigh it but would say lighter than the O Connor CFF-1.
Also the hand wheels come off way easier and cleaner. Will test out tonight but feels really tight, no backlash - very smooth. Also nicely made, although the hand wheels are a little basic.

Pretty happy so far but still, do a few of bits of metal and gears really have to cost $4k...
 
Back
Top