Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Everything changes... IMPORTANT post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The timing of the reduction must be more than in part due to the imminent Sony announcement. Whether RED reduce their price or not, rental rates will have to be reduced if a cheaper Sony camera hits the market that comes close to the Epic in quality. You can't seriously expect Red not to respond to competitors in order to protect your investment when your camera's value will be hurt by external companies whether RED do anything or not.

You should just be glad for the opportunity to upgrade to Dragon so your camera can continue to bring in rentals. Imagine if you were any other companies customer at the time of a new announcement? No freebies against accessories for purchases that took place in the last month, no upgrade path, and instant huge devaluation.

You are probably going to be out of pocket but it could be so much worse.

When push comes to shove, you and your clients have a camera that was used on Prometheus and Hobbit - and it is only going to get better.
 
I agree with this and Gavin's post before.

I see this as one of two things. I worry a bit that they feel the Scarlet really isn't able to handle Dragon.

I can tell you right now Scarlet, as it sits , cannot handle the Dragon.

But as it sits, neither can the Epic.

One way or another we will make sure Scarlet customers have a pathway to the Dragon.

It is a complicated problem, but a good problem to have.
 
And one more thing - even though it has been repeated here a few times.

The RED ONE was a great camera at a great price for regular people. It shook the industry. I was happy.

The EPIC is an incredible camera at a very expensive price for the regular people. I wasn't that happy about the second part. (Let's not talk about RED's unbelievable generosity for the early adapters, which made the expensive price a moot point for many here.)

Now, the price is going down. The industry will probably be shaken all over again.

Who wins in the long term? You.

Again -- what are we complaining about? Daily rental rates?...

George


--
 
I hope RED will not announce on November 1st a higher price than they originally intended, because of the whining.

I can't understand why people are complaining about higher prices?
In my experience, the reverse is true :-)

The end of the World is near.
 
I can tell you right now Scarlet, as it sits , cannot handle the Dragon.

But as it sits, neither can the Epic.

One way or another we will make sure Scarlet customers have a pathway to the Dragon.

It is a complicated problem, but a good problem to have.
Agreed. At least I'm not stuck with some 1080p camera I'll have to buy a 10-20 grand external recorder to get 4k. :yesnod:

Honestly I'm hoping that upgrade is through the Epic. Hopefully I can make that call sometime next week. Either way you got our backs. Thanks for that.

Because of that as long as I do this or until I get called back to the military and even after that I'll always buy RED. We all owe Jim and Jarred a beer in my mind ( if you enjoy a cold one that is). And if you do first one is on me if I can ever make it to NAB or a RED party.
 
I hope RED will not announce on November 1st a higher price than they originally intended, because of the whining.
Indeed. That's the agenda of who only has to lose with a price reduction. Here is a very interesting post on topic:

Hear, hear.

All this moaning about price reduction is flabbergasting.

You give a starving beggar some food, and he throws it back at you and complains you did not put enough salt to his taste. I am certain that if tomorrow Red announced they have found a cure for cancer, a certain 'class' of individual here would whine how Red developed the cure just to destroy the livelihood of all the existing cancer treatment providers.

The amazing thing is, the people most passionately campaigning against any price reduction are the ones who would not even be in their precious rental business if it was not for Red and its products in the first place! Red made them.

Their attitude is doubly appalling: "I got mine, but now close the doors. I don't want anyone else to compete and prosper."

This is the same close-minded attitude that caught Sony, Alexa et al napping and made Red-volution possible. And some people want Red to emulate this behavior?

Unreal.
 
Whatever is going on, as long as I can put some money down before the end of the year for tax reasons, I'm happy.
 
One way or another we will make sure Scarlet customers have a pathway to the Dragon.

It is a complicated problem, but a good problem to have.

Not to be too much of a nag. Haha, when has that not been the case. ;) But I would add: *affordable* pathway to the Dragon.

I'm sure with unlimited money it wouldn't be a complicated problem at all but as is it's got to cost less than a new camera. :D
 
A lot of users here are quite aggressive in their notion that we all should be happy about lower prices. But for good reasons a lot of us are worried, and I must say I regret having bought the Epic, as the project it was planned for has been delayed. It's not always you plan for investing in an expensive paper-weight... And it's not often I do that, i.e. the Scarlet payed for itself within 4 weeks.
 
A lot of users here are quite aggressive in their notion that we all should be happy about lower prices. But for good reasons a lot of us are worried, and I must say I regret having bought the Epic, as the project it was planned for has been delayed. It's not always you plan for investing in an expensive paper-weight... And it's not often I do that, i.e. the Scarlet payed for itself within 4 weeks.

It's ok, and perfectly natural, to be upset and/or disappointed. Just don't throw it back at RED and suggest they are "screwing" their customers. We all live with decisions we made in the past in an uncertain world. The best thing RED can do for its customers is stay competitive and stay in business. If they become "over-priced" in a highly competitive market, we all lose.
 
For those who want to continue complaining about the price drop, I'll refer you to the title of this thread.

EVERYTHING CHANGES.

RED as a company is notorious for this, and this is why we continue to have the toys we have. If everyone wanted to buy into a camera system that is dishonest and is not transparent about costs... ARRI, Sony & Canon are waiting for you. Until then, god bless RED.
 
if you really must have stability in your life.. your only stable bet is probably investing in C-Stands and Sandbags.

I hope you guys don't start make lighting anytime soon. :-) Seeing that these cameras are basically computers... I've made the wise decision to invest in grip and lighting.
 
One way or another we will make sure Scarlet customers have a pathway to the Dragon.

It is a complicated problem, but a good problem to have.

And this is why I never worry about the future...RED always takes care of their customers.

I'll I have to worry about is to keep on shooting...when the path to Dragon is ready for my SCARLET, then ill consider the alternatives...
 
For all the Cry Babies out there ... If the price reduction is that big a deal for you then you either couldn't really afford one in the first place or you are not working enough to justify owning one. Every other company on the planet reduce prices without warning.
 
A lot of users here are quite aggressive in their notion that we all should be happy about lower prices. But for good reasons a lot of us are worried, and I must say I regret having bought the Epic, as the project it was planned for has been delayed. It's not always you plan for investing in an expensive paper-weight... And it's not often I do that, i.e. the Scarlet payed for itself within 4 weeks.

Similar situation. Got mine late Feb and it's seen some use, but not as much as was planned for, as the major production it was purchased for has slipped into next year.

But, as Jim says, everything changes... life is full of ups and downs.

Let's hope for some nice reductions on modules, as RED continue to improve production :)

Edit - and I'm sure there are more surprises to come from Jim & the Guys... it's always the way!
 
It's a tool. Just like your Epic. The rest is just zeros.

Well no. Many can afford to get $0 ROI on MacBook. It's low enough to have a wide personal-use only market. You can contineu to use it long after it is out fo date - no client si going to care how recent your laptop is, unless it si too slow for DIT tasks or something. Not a 30K + camera. Few people would buy this just for personal fun. I know I could not.
 
Lets not forget the Epic and Scarlet as they are now still exceed 99% of all production requirements. Dragon is an exciting upgrade and ensures your Red camera will be a valid film making tool going forward.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top