Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

EPIC-X at IBC...

Working in 3D

Working in 3D

Does the EVF connector/CF module on the left side come off?

I'm wondering if the camera can be configured with that off or on the right side for doing side by side 3D shooting?

Yes, it can be removed.

Then you would either monitor via HD-SDI, or use a rear I/O module that provides an EVF / LCD output.

And you would use a rear I/O module that has CF or other media support.
 
More pics please. :emote_popcorn:
 
Just an observation regarding the two pictures Jarred posted, I may be off the mark as I have not seen the Epic/Scarlet up close but if you look close at the vent on the Epic it looks like it needs a tighter/mesh/dust guard intake. It looks like a medium sized piece of stone/dirt could enter here. A closer knit mesh may just be needed.
We all know what sand can do on a shoot but this intake looks like it leaves you open to a lot more. Once again this is not a criticism just an observation.
Till
 
hey till.. that top is actual the exhaust not the intake.. fine mesh is great but it restricts airflow which means we would need to make the camera bigger to make the mesh bigger.

Remember... this entire vent system is sealed from the electronics, so sand getting in there doesnt affect anything but the fans.. which are user cleanable and replaceable.
 
Jarred,

All these quicktimes and stills are really great. Thank you SO much for taking time out of your day for us fanboys to wet our appetite a little bit. Is there any chance you could please take an extra minute and create a new thread for these sneak peeks? It'd be great to have all these consolidated in one place. Thanks so much again!
 
Call me old fashioned, but I'd love the ability to have a small LCD panel on the top of the brain with a pentaprism option so it would be like operating a 'Blad, Bronica or Mamiya. My old Bronica ETRs was the best handling camera I ever used, with the Speed Grip and Prism Finder - so beautifully balanced. Having never shot stills on something with a side-mounted finder I'm wondering how it will feel.
 
Call me old fashioned, but I'd love the ability to have a small LCD panel on the top of the brain with a pentaprism option so it would be like operating a 'Blad, Bronica or Mamiya. My old Bronica ETRs was the best handling camera I ever used, with the Speed Grip and Prism Finder - so beautifully balanced. Having never shot stills on something with a side-mounted finder I'm wondering how it will feel.

Put the Bomb EFV right on top of the brain if you like. Everything goes anywhere.

Jim
 
Yes Jim, but when does the Epic-X go into my hands? :)

During 2010.

RED main competitor right now is a brand new ARRI digital BLUE cameras that have release dates from June to December 2010.

EPIC has to be perfect in all ways just to compete with new German camera design otherwise professionals can mostly turn to ARRI digital in a near future.

It's not so easy task and everything needs more time and more patient to get all the things done.

I'll bet that EPIC can finally show up as a fully workable camera at NAB 2010.

Before that you'll get M-X upgrade option to your existing RED1.

The times for getting "cheap" cameras from RED Digital Cinema Company are definitely over.

RED definitely turned to "professional" brand more then year and half ago as Jim once announced.
 
Nice job guys...looking real good...I am working hard to be able to afford one of these babies...a Scarlet actually...but still I imagine this video you posted is similar to what Scarlet will look like as well?

So good...damn...you guys are awesome. Thx again for keeping us all in the loop...I for one love that about your company. I feel like I'm part (tiny part) owner in RED....or at least part of the army you are building!
 
Man, although I generally envy you guys at RED, there is one thing where I don't:

After month and months of labour you finally present first (ultrasound) pictures of the baby (still in the womb) and instead of hearing cheering from grandpa, granny, aunts and uncles and all the other, they go:

-hmmm, is that his hands? do they work properly? I have seen better hands at Arrisons' baby next door!
- Look at his eyes!! He is never going to see straight with these eyes!
- It's like with his older brother, I bet he still wets the bed when he is five!
- He's cute n all, but if he does not come out before mid-November I quit as godfather!
- Can we not have a girl instead??
...

So good luck to the soon-to-be parents! ;)
 
Some time ago it was stated that the Epic series would be CNC milled bodies and the Scarlet series would be cast bodies. Don't know if this is still the case or not.
 
Man, although I generally envy you guys at RED, there is one thing where I don't:

After month and months of labour you finally present first (ultrasound) pictures of the baby (still in the womb) and instead of hearing cheering from grandpa, granny, aunts and uncles and all the other, they go:

-hmmm, is that his hands? do they work properly? I have seen better hands at Arrisons' baby next door!
- Look at his eyes!! He is never going to see straight with these eyes!
- It's like with his older brother, I bet he still wets the bed when he is five!
- He's cute n all, but if he does not come out before mid-November I quit as godfather!
- Can we not have a girl instead??
...

So good luck to the soon-to-be parents! ;)

I am not a RED-fanboy (as a matter of fact, I hate fanboys in all fields: movies, videogames etc.), yet I don't see how the Arri camera is going to create issues with the Epic sales - on the paper, the new Red camera is offering much more. Sure, there will be people using the rival camera, but that was always part of the picutre, wasn't it? I mean, do you all really thought the whole world would've just stopped using Arri, Panavision, Sony or whatever?
 
don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the locking ring on the PL-Mount looks BADASS!

It's a shame that if anything, I'll be in league for a Nikon-Mount Scarlet and hence won't get to enjoy the feeling of it locking the Film-Lens to the Body, rock solid.

Yup, I sure love how the PL-Mount firmly locks a lens into place. When you are shooting motion, you can't have any lens-to-mount wobble, and I've certainly had that in cheap mount adapters for stills camera lenses.

It does appear, however, that it is entirely possible to build a PL-like Nikon mount. Take a look at Optitek's Nikon ProLock mount:
http://optitek.org/nikon-prolock.php

I hope RED decides to go with something like that for Nikon and Canon mounts!
 
Hey guys, I was just trying to be a bit sarcastic; I'm pretty damn sure that the Red team is not too bothered about critical comments. To an extend they encourage it, no? And different people wish for different cameras. So no big deal. I was just in the mood for some comic relief this morning... awfully quiet at the RED front though... I wonder what they're up to right now... *grin*
 
Yup, I sure love how the PL-Mount firmly locks a lens into place. When you are shooting motion, you can't have any lens-to-mount wobble, and I've certainly had that in cheap mount adapters for stills camera lenses.

It does appear, however, that it is entirely possible to build a PL-like Nikon mount. Take a look at Optitek's Nikon ProLock mount:
http://optitek.org/nikon-prolock.php

I hope RED decides to go with something like that for Nikon and Canon mounts!

yes please
 
Hey guys, I was just trying to be a bit sarcastic; I'm pretty damn sure that the Red team is not too bothered about critical comments. To an extend they encourage it, no? And different people wish for different cameras. So no big deal. I was just in the mood for some comic relief this morning... awfully quiet at the RED front though... I wonder what they're up to right now... *grin*

Either laughing or hiring a red-hooded hitman to move down critics...only time will tell...
 
Ok, so 2nd post on reduser.net, total noob. Really interesting reading and some great insights, especially if you read this thread from the beginning. Simple question for you knowledgeable chaps and ladies... Should I buy a RED ONE now or Wait for the EPIC?
 
Back
Top