Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Epic W lens options?

jon olsson

New member
Joined
Sep 13, 2016
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Been looking around a bit an all sorts of lenses from Crazy cine glas to Canon and Sigma zoom photo lenses. Anyone with infobon what the limitations are to not get winjetting when shooting in 8k?

All info is appreciated! As well as ideas for light zoom options! (On the wider end strating at 18-20 going as far as possible with al ow F/tstop and as much caracter and flairs as possible! ;-)

thansk in advance!

Jon olsson
 
I picked up a set of Milvus's with the Zeiss focus gears to hold me over until Sigma announces pricing for their cine lenses or I decide to go for Xenons or something else... They seem to be quite exceptional for the cost, and they cover full frame.
 
Definitely going to want something wide for when you need to get cropped HFR.

The Otus line is cheap and with match res with 8k. so thats a good direction for 28mm and up.
 
I picked up a set of Milvus's with the Zeiss focus gears to hold me over until Sigma announces pricing for their cine lenses or I decide to go for Xenons or something else... They seem to be quite exceptional for the cost, and they cover full frame.
what did you grab? love my 35mm
 
I pick up my Epic-W tomorrow and I'm going to try it out with the 20mm, 35mm, 50mm Art lenses. To cover the wide end they also send me the 12-24mm f4-5.6 non art and 85mm f1.4 non art.
There will soon be 12-24 Art and 85mm Art too but they weren't available yet. I think these are going to be the best bang for your buck especially for those people who are spending more than they anticipated on a camera thanks to the great S-W to E-W upgrade price but still need lenses that can stand up to this sensor.

I can't say anything about the optics in the Sigmas yet but they feel great in the hand, cover FF, and will soon be available in cine versions that I believe will be weather sealed.

The other big benefit to the Sigmas for me is going to be using Foolcontrol when it's on my cable cam and gimbal you can't do that with the Zeiss unless you add rails and motors and sacrifice weight. We'll see if they all pair up I guess.
 
I pick up my Epic-W tomorrow and I'm going to try it out with the 20mm, 35mm, 50mm Art lenses. To cover the wide end they also send me the 12-24mm f4-5.6 non art and 85mm f1.4 non art.
There will soon be 12-24 Art and 85mm Art too but they weren't available yet. I think these are going to be the best bang for your buck especially for those people who are spending more than they anticipated on a camera thanks to the great S-W to E-W upgrade price but still need lenses that can stand up to this sensor.

I can't say anything about the optics in the Sigmas yet but they feel great in the hand, cover FF, and will soon be available in cine versions that I believe will be weather sealed.

The other big benefit to the Sigmas for me is going to be using Foolcontrol when it's on my cable cam and gimbal you can't do that with the Zeiss unless you add rails and motors and sacrifice weight. We'll see if they all pair up I guess.


But do the zooms cover full sensor? I know the primes do, but thought the zooms didn't. Maybe their right there with S35
 
But do the zooms cover full sensor? I know the primes do, but thought the zooms didn't. Maybe their right there with S35

I don't think the 18-35 cover the full sensor but maybe the 50-100? I think the Sigma S35 zooms will shine at 6K with framerate options up to 75fps at 6KFF and 100fps at 6K 2.4:1
 
I don't think the 18-35 cover the full sensor but maybe the 50-100? I think the Sigma S35 zooms will shine at 6K with framerate options up to 75fps at 6KFF and 100fps at 6K 2.4:1

Ya, thats what I remeber reading. Funny tho now we have to refer to either 6k Dragon or 6k Helium FOV Size
 
Ya, thats what I remeber reading. Funny tho now we have to refer to either 6k Dragon or 6k Helium FOV Size
Yeah, I'm actually thinking of replacing some of my glass to S35 equivalent as I think I'll mostly shoot 6K on the Epic-W. The T2 Sigma Cine Zooms seems like the way to go unless they'll be crazy expensive.
 
Yeah, I'm actually thinking of replacing some of my glass to S35 equivalent as I think I'll mostly shoot 6K on the Epic-W. The T2 Sigma Cine Zooms seems like the way to go unless they'll be crazy expensive.

Opens up a whole other group of possibilities doesn't it. BTW anything that fits on Dragon 6k with fit on Helium at 8K FOV being about the same size. Im sure Red planned that one.
 
Opens up a whole other group of possibilities doesn't it. BTW anything that fits on Dragon 6k with fit on Helium at 8K FOV being about the same size. Im sure Red planned that one.
Haha they sure did!

The "problem" I encounter sticking with the same glass I have for 6K Dragon (going to 8K Helium) is the lack of a wide angle lens when overcranking due to the 'windowing' of the sensor. Unless the need for shooting 8K, I think going Helium 6K true S35 and 'adjusting' my glass accordingly, eliminates the problem with crop factors when shooting at different framerates. I will probably shoot some stuff at 8K but due to the framerate limit of 30fps (Epic-W) and data rates/storage I'll be very selective.

Exciting times!
 
Last edited:
For the Epic W "the"wide angle to get should be both the 10-22 APS-C Canon and the gorgeous 11-22 L . That extra 1 really does make a difference for APSC. The 11, when using the full sensor, is simply the best wide angle I've ever seen.
 
For the Epic W "the"wide angle to get should be both the 10-22 APS-C Canon and the gorgeous 11-22 L . That extra 1 really does make a difference for APSC. The 11, when using the full sensor, is simply the best wide angle I've ever seen.
Do you mean Canon 11-24 f/4L? Nice lens but difficult to use with a mattebox.
Another option for a good wideangle is the upcoming Sigma Art 12-24 f/4. (although also impossible to use with a mattebox)
 
Last edited:
I don't think the 18-35 cover the full sensor but maybe the 50-100? I think the Sigma S35 zooms will shine at 6K with framerate options up to 75fps at 6KFF and 100fps at 6K 2.4:1

Just be aware of the Sigma 50-100mm T2 heavy breathing, it's pretty bad (cine and stills version).

The 18-35 is amazing tho!
 
Back
Top