Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

EPIC W AND FINAL CUT

Luca Volpe

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2016
Messages
385
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
UK
Website
www.lucavolpe.com
HI guys I switched from SW to Epic W and I just downloaded a 8K 3RD file from red.com
As I was expecting 8k raw is not possible to import in fcpx, there is anyone here that can try to import a 5k or 4k file from Epic W in FCPX (has to be a 3RD file raw) just to see if is a problem of resolution or something else.
My SW files raw are ok to import, just wondering if I will have to film only in pro.res with my EW until a new fcpx update!
Many thanks for the help
Luca
 
Thanks Mathieu, well I was hoping at least that someone can import a 5K file 3RD in FCPX to try, hope will work, otherwise I will need to use only pro res...lol...
 
fun Red trivia fact: Red's RAW files are not called 3RD but rather R3D. The easy way to remember that is that it spells "RED" except the "3" is a backwards "E". Red also has a playback file format called ".RED". So capture is .R3D and playback is .RED.

In your case, your spell checker probably just tried to "fix" it for you.

Cheers.
 
If I'm not mistaken, up to 6K is supported in FCPX in R3D. Could be wrong though.
Learn about the workflow though, it's best if you first make .rmd files in RedCine before you bring the footage into FCPX, so you can change the RAW Parameters in REDCINE and it will ripple trough to FCPX. (Sam Mestman from We Make Movies has a couple of very old, but still very good and relevant tutorials about it)
 
@Andy I am with the phone not easy to write lol
@Mathieu sometimes I prefer to work directly in FCPX as I don't have much time for work on some projects, this why I was asking. I tried with red cine and works but is to long process for me.
I hope that someone that has fcpx and epic w can do this test at low res, I HOPE that under 8 will work....
 
Just got my Epic W yesterday and cannot import 6k R3D into FCP either. It must be something different with these files, not just the size. Previously could import all Scarlet W files into FCP.
 
jarred said 6K raw is supported, make sure you have up to date r3d wrapper thingy from red, I will test also
 
I will also say that the 8k scaled down to 4k in camera ProRes gives beautiful images and with little problem editing in FCP X but the fastest you can go with 4k is 30 fps regardless of 8k vs 4k in the "R3D" speed, even if you record ProRes only. If you step down to 2k then can get speeds up to at least 120 fps. Most amazing is that at 8k you can record very low compression AND simultaneous 4k ProRes images BUT it takes a red 512 GB card to handle the data. I first tried with a 240 card and got data overflow errors.

The best workflow presently for speed seems to be to edit the R3D in Redcine-X Pro then export the files as Prores 4K into FCP-X. These can be exported as ProRes 444 whereas the in camera version is limited to 422. For up to 30 fps, use the internal conversion to 4k ProRes and simultaneous R3D recording to use later or just in case you need them if the ProRes files are a problem.

I gotta say, I love this camera.
 
jarred said 6K raw is supported, make sure you have up to date r3d wrapper thingy from red, I will test also

You are right, I just checked and had the 10. version of the installer and now i see there is an 11. version which is likely the difference. Great, nice that the R3D's will work at 6k! Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Sorry...but where is the installer? I had in system preference the red code....then I just downloaded and installed the installer...but where I find on my mac...?? I am getting crazy...lol...
 
lol...yes Jon, I have done it...but my question is: Once I install the plug in...where I find in my mac? How you know which version you have? The only thing I have is the Red Code in my system preference but I suppose is not that one?? Thanks
 
when you select a clip in FCPX you will have red modify settings on the right hand top panel
 
Yes Steve I know, I was already working with the previous one, but I am asking where phisically the plug in goes in the mac....so that you know which version you have?? Thanks
 
I dont have a file natively I can drop into fcpx, as I transcoded all to pro res, but I would take an old file and launch fcpx and see if it has version name on the plug itself, I couldnt find it anywhere on my computer
 
HI Steve, I tried to open some of my SW files and they are ok, I see the panel with the new Color science added too, but where this plug in goes I have no idea...!! IN fact how we know when is time to update? In red cine I have the popup window that tell me to update, but this plug in not! IN fact if I didn't post this thread I was goign to have issue to open 6k files when my Epic W will arrive!
 
wait so you see the new color science! thats awesome, I am in the middle of an edit but I will have some time tonight, Ill shoot some 6K and see if I can figure it out for you!

Steve
 
Back
Top