Mike 'Fireman' Ross
Well-known member
As I understand it, when we are notified our Stage 3 EPIC is ready to ship, we have 30 days to complete payment and take delivery. Presumably RED will expect to get the old R1 body back as part of that process.
My question concerns those who might be affected by any delay in availability of essential accessories; will it be possible for these people to either extend the 30-day 'window' and postpone the upgrade, or else take delivery of a partial EPIC order, and retain their R1 until such time as the delayed bits are available?
In my case I'm wondering about the availability of the Nikon mount; that's going to be critical to me, and I seem to recall hearing that it will be available 'later'; the Canon mount will be done first. If the Nikon mount is 'backorder' or 'still in development' when I get the 30-day letter saying 'please send us money and your R1, your EPIC is ready' I'm going to have a potential problem...
Obviously we're some way from starting that process, nothing is official yet, but I just wanted to get RED folks thinking about it
Mike
My question concerns those who might be affected by any delay in availability of essential accessories; will it be possible for these people to either extend the 30-day 'window' and postpone the upgrade, or else take delivery of a partial EPIC order, and retain their R1 until such time as the delayed bits are available?
In my case I'm wondering about the availability of the Nikon mount; that's going to be critical to me, and I seem to recall hearing that it will be available 'later'; the Canon mount will be done first. If the Nikon mount is 'backorder' or 'still in development' when I get the 30-day letter saying 'please send us money and your R1, your EPIC is ready' I'm going to have a potential problem...
Obviously we're some way from starting that process, nothing is official yet, but I just wanted to get RED folks thinking about it
Mike