Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Epic Dragon and power from the DJI Ronin

Kurt Naeslund

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 26, 2015
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Norway
Website
www.renrorosfrontal.no
Hello!

Is it possible to connect the rear power-cable inlet on the dragon, to the P-tap connector on the DJI Ronin so that the camera is powered from this and whitout any PowerVolt etc.?

Regards,
Kurt Naeslund
Frontal Media as
 
Hello!

Is it possible to connect the rear power-cable inlet on the dragon, to the P-tap connector on the DJI Ronin so that the camera is powered from this and whitout any PowerVolt etc.?

Regards,
Kurt Naeslund
Frontal Media as

No.

If I were you depending on your set-up I'd either go with a proper voltage Lipo 4S battery. Or go D-Tap off a V-mount battery. I get like 45 minutes per Lipo. And it's easy to mount to the bottom and prevents an extra cord from attaching elsewhere on the gimbal.
 
Last edited:
Yes you can. I had my local electronics guy make a Dtap to Epic power cable with a nice right-angle cable. If you're not sure, consult someone.

So your saying the Ronin battery is powering the Epic as well?? Thats interesting. I don't know much about power (or anything for that matter) but I've read on here a couple times I think that it's impossible to power from D tap..
 
It's absolutely possible to power from p-tap (a Scarlet anyway, which has slightly less power draw than an Epic). I use one with my "battery belt" (a dollar store fanny pack with a 160w v-mount inside...And, yes, pinkish-purple was all they had)...

How long are the run times when powering off the Ronin battery? Also, anyone try one a Ronin-M?
 
Last edited:
Hello!

Is it possible to connect the rear power-cable inlet on the dragon, to the P-tap connector on the DJI Ronin so that the camera is powered from this and whitout any PowerVolt etc.?

Regards,
Kurt Naeslund
Frontal Media as

I was thinking the same but, DJI do not recommend it. I´m guessing the camera and gimbal motors can suck to much out of the battery if running at full trottle.
 
Yes it's possible to bottom out with bigger follow focus motors and stiff lenses/fast racks - I've managed to do the same with the Endura 7s batteries (IDX) - the camera just shuts off suddenly.

It's only viable for certain setups, you also have to monitor the battery as it is all to easy to drain it past 23 percent rendering the battery useless.

I can't speak directly for the Ronin battery - it would be a LiPo I imagine, but for the size I wouldn't want to power the Epic because you'd be swinging batteries constantly. Better to get a separate LiPo for powering the camera/accessories. That Gremsey looks like the business!
 
Is this for Aerial or steadicam use??? ...

Because if it's aerial, a Redvolt in the handle will work, obviously adjust balance accordingly, but you might see more disruption. For best performance from the Ronin motors, cut out the handle and Redvolt, get a Batt Belt or a Batt Purse, throw a brick in there with a V mount battery plate with a D tap cable.
 
I power the camera with a Red brick on a custom V-mount plate with a 4 foot cable. I mount the battery plate on the Ronin handle bars and run the cable to the back of my Epic. Still haven't figured out the best way to control the loose cable without constricting the gimbal, but it's WAY better than using Redvolts. I own 10 Redvolts and 3 chargers, but in my opinion Redvolts are really only good for hotswapping bricks. The run time is just too short to be useful.
 
Rory Hinds also makes a very nice Lemo cable that will power the camera using a LiPo battery, which is handy for gimbal work. The Lipos (3S or 4S) can usually power the camera for an hour or so, depending on capacity, and they easily velcro to the handle without adding too much weight to your armload. I try to strip the camera of the side handle when it's on a gimbal to make it more center balanced -- like Julio, I find the Redvolts to be less useful than bricks.
 
Back
Top