Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

DSMC2 OLPF vs DSMC OLPF On Dragon

Lee Kelly

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 17, 2012
Messages
366
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Sydney, Australia
Website
www.leekelly.tv
Info was a bit limited (from what I can find) on the v2 filters. It says it is compatible with Weapon, Dragon and 5k Scarlet.

Are these an improvement from the originals?
I have a new-ish Dragon which was upgraded in the very last second from an Epic and was shipped with the interchangeable OLPF system but wondering if there is a reason there is a v2 available now and to be sure itll work with my Dragon if I choose that over v1 filters.

I had my dragon shipped with Low Light filter but now want Skin Tone.

Anyone with experience with both have any insight?
 
You know everything at RED gets a little better with time. Meaning that they are constantly updating and perfecting. So it would not surprise me that the new V2 OPLF is an improvement to the older version.
And you should get the Skin Tone OPLF. It really helps when things get bright...I almost always shoot with it and only change when I need something shot in low light.
 
Thanks Russ,

Do you usually rate the camera at lower ISO, say 250 and work backwards slightly from a clipping point in bright lighting?
I was reading on another thread about this and how this OLPF really gets the most out of the Dragon sensor whereas LLO works more like MX sensor especially rated at 800.

I have a shoot coming up where the DP really prefers the look of STH as we are shooting with a Mini and we think the STH and Dragon sensor better matches with that combo.
I guess I will do some tests, as the other thread also suggested that combo makes it a whole different camera to what I had been used to with Epic MX and now LLO/Dragon combo.
 
Hey Lee, make sure you're reading the OLPF information correctly. The DSMC2 glass is only for the new Weapon and Scarlet-W cameras. They have a different OLPF system. The regular DSMC line is what you're looking for with the Epic Dragon.

I used to rate STH around 500, and LLO between 800-1000. This all changes on the environment though.
 
DSMC2 olpfs only fit in DSMC2 cameras.

And yes - they are improved.

We shot Skintone on a CF Weapon 2 weeks ago, and it looked GREAT. Much cleaner than DSMC.
 
Hmmm,

This is what it says on the store page:

NOTE: The DSMC2 Skin Tone-Highlight OLPF is ONLY compatible with 6K WEAPON® DRAGON and 5K SCARLET-W cameras.

Are we calling the Weapon a Weapon Dragon? That could confuse a few people (like me) as I see it there is Dragon and there is Weapon right? Two different cameras?
 
Most things that have the DSMC name are only compatible with DSMC cameras, and DSMC2 accessories are only compatible with DSMC2 cameras. When you have a DSMC camera, you should just ignore DSMC2 accessories, unless you're thinking of upgrading.
 
Asked and answered previously; new OLPF for DSMC2 are not backwards compatible. And, sadly, old DSMC version do NOT work on DSMC2.
 
Back
Top