Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

DSMC1 - V-Mount & AC at the same time

Zack McTee

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
186
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NYC
Is there any option for DSMC1 to allow you to use AC power and V-mount at the same time?

I'm shooting an event with the scarlet as a b-cam, and I planned on using AC power since it's a long presentation. However, I'm a little worried about the possibility of someone bumping the AC power and me losing everything.
 
What do you mean by option? Just plug in AC power and put a V-Mount on. The camera will default to the AC power, but will switch over to V-mount if anything happens to your power source. I've got a Gemini now, but when I had the Epic Dragon I always had a v-mount and AC power connected for interviews and other long shoots. I usually had a redvolt in there for good measure as well.
 
Last edited:
Like Kyle said, if you're using the V-Mount Quickplate Module you can do both painlessly.

If you're using a battery plate that powers via LEMO, unless that battery plate can receive power from a plug then you might be a bit more out of luck.

Anytime we do events we just tape down the power/XLR/SDI cables and then we don't have to worry about people tripping/bumping into anything. Works every time.
 
Hey Zack, not sure if you're asking if it's possible or if it's allowed, but regardless the answer to both questions is yes.

That said, I'm pretty sure the only v-mount plate that does *not* use the brain's AC connector is RED's own Quickplate V-mount adapter (sends power directly to the brain through a module adapter or +1 plate, and *not* through the AC connector). As far as I'm aware, all other 3rd party v-mount plates piggy back on the camera, but actually use the brain's AC port to send power to it. There might be a y-splitter 6-pin lemo that could work (to plug both a 3rd party v-mount *and* AC), but that sounds super sketchy and would probably cost half as much as a Quickplate V-mount (which is a far more elegant/cableless solution).
 
If you have a side handle with a redvolt battery inside, you can unplug the v mount power or the ac power and then plug it again the and the camera will continue on.
 
Back
Top