Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Dragon + Motion Mount + Kowa PL Anamorphic

How come all the other Dragon footage doesn't look like this...?

Well, the Kowas's are pretty distinct looking! But I think a lot of what Toia and Probst (and others) have been posting has looked spellbinding also. Across the board...Dragon has been looking pretty good to me (so far)!

best
 
How come all the other Dragon footage doesn't look like this...?

RED have always given one enough rope to suck balls with. However I would contend there's lots of good footage out there. Also, there's a ton of mojo in the Kowas. They're like cheating really (in the best way possible).
 
RED have always given one enough rope to suck balls with. However I would contend there's lots of good footage out there. Also, there's a ton of mojo in the Kowas. They're like cheating really (in the best way possible).

The glass makes a huge difference, no doubt.

That said, the locations and the costumes mean a lot more in the end. Some of the places we filmed were very tough to find and access. Two person crew and lot's of hiking in of heavy equipment. The gear used helps make it look unique, but it would have looked more or less the same with $200 Nikkor lenses. In fact, Nikkor lenses were used for about 1/3 of the shots in the teaser.
 
The glass makes a huge difference, no doubt.

That said, the locations and the costumes mean a lot more in the end. Some of the places we filmed were very tough to find and access. Two person crew and lot's of hiking in of heavy equipment. The gear used helps make it look unique, but it would have looked more or less the same with $200 Nikkor lenses. In fact, Nikkor lenses were used for about 1/3 of the shots in the teaser.

Wise words Luke. Thanks for sharing. Great piece.
 
Nice reply Luke. I didn't mean to suggest the glass is the only reason it looks great - not all good Dragon footage is shot on Kowas!

By way of analogy, I would argue that the Kowas are akin to Alexa, and that RED is akin to Zeiss. Attitude vs. neutrality! I'd argue the AI glass has quite a bit of attitude also (wonderful glass). Just my opinion.



The glass makes a huge difference, no doubt.

That said, the locations and the costumes mean a lot more in the end. Some of the places we filmed were very tough to find and access. Two person crew and lot's of hiking in of heavy equipment. The gear used helps make it look unique, but it would have looked more or less the same with $200 Nikkor lenses. In fact, Nikkor lenses were used for about 1/3 of the shots in the teaser.
 
Nice reply Luke. I didn't mean to suggest the glass is the only reason it looks great - not all good Dragon footage is shot on Kowas!

By way of analogy, I would argue that the Kowas are akin to Alexa, and that RED is akin to Zeiss. Attitude vs. neutrality! I'd argue the AI glass has quite a bit of attitude also (wonderful glass). Just my opinion.

Totally man, I didn't mean to suggest that I took offense either. The glass does play a very big role!!
 
nice shots. Is the Sensor now responding to cyan blue like the way alexa does? Or is that something created in grading?
 
You own the set of Kowas Luke?

Do you own the Nikors, Luke?

Seriously, could you detail the settings used, etc. with the Nikors? I wonder how many viewed the footy and thought there were any intercuts at all. I think I may get a set of Nikors, as the Kowas are not as cost effective...

Thank you very much

Fury
 
Do you own the Nikors, Luke?

Seriously, could you detail the settings used, etc. with the Nikors? I wonder how many viewed the footy and thought there were any intercuts at all. I think I may get a set of Nikors, as the Kowas are not as cost effective...

Thank you very much

Fury

I do yeah. I used the Nikkor Ai-s 28mm (2.8), the 35mm (2.8), 50mm (1.2), and 85mm (2). Mostly shot around f 4-5.6.
 
nice shots. Is the Sensor now responding to cyan blue like the way alexa does? Or is that something created in grading?

Not sure exactly. It seems like it renders them differently than the MX sensor though. The colors in general just look a lot better straight out of the camera.
 
Thanks for sharing! Great work. My best wishes for the Fall Premiere!
 
Back
Top