Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Dragon - Motion mount flicker

Tim Lynge Resdal

Active member
Joined
Nov 23, 2011
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Copenhagen, Denmark
We just did a test of our new Dragon with Motion Mount, but we "easily" get a lot of flicker, also when shooting outside. I noticed that the ND needed to be set to ND 1,98 (stops) not to flicker.

Why can this be?

Thanks :-)
 
When you say flicker do you mean the whole frame or just light sources.

Also, what shutter speed are you using. Frame rate and project timebase would also be useful information.
 
Phil, you're always so damn quick - Great! :-) I was shooting 200fps in 3k WS 180degree shutter 25fps project time base. Of course the flicker was very bad inside, but I also noticed it outside.

I can do a quick test tomorrow, if it helps ?
 
Phil, you're always so damn quick - Great! :-) I was shooting 200fps in 3k WS 180degree shutter 25fps project time base. Of course the flicker was very bad inside, but I also noticed it outside.

I can do a quick test tomorrow, if it helps ?


Nah. No need to test. I got you.

Check this manual out:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/red_3/downloads/manuals/RED_MOTION_MOUNT/RED_MOTION_MOUNT_Operation_Guide_Rev-F.pdf

The very important line you are looking for is:

"Based on the selected shutter type, the MOTION MOUNT overrides control of all shutter operations. The MOTION MOUNT can operate at frame rates up to 109.98 FPS."
 
I have had the MM on and set 2K HHHFR and the fronds on plan trees and Flax looked like Alien was coming for me...

Fun to try out, but sticking to the called out guidelines and I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

Thank you very much

Fury
 
Very interesting. I regularly use mine up to 120fps without noticing problems, but I never go faster than that. Maybe it progressively gets worse above 109fps and at 120 is still just subtle. Love me some Motion Mount!
 
Dang I was gonna ask this very question :skep:. Crazy it's like Phil is in our head. A lil creepy haha.
 
Strange I shoot at all frame rates with my MM and have never had flicker or any problems.

Edit: I have realized the the new 7in touch monitor shows flickering sometimes, but this flicker does not show up when played back on computer. Perhaps thats your issue?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top