Tarquin Cardona
Well-known member
Just happened upon this. Relates to a question I have wanted to ask. I have always found the images from the Dragon to be super 'natural' a lot of the time. Akin to what we look for in good stills. And I remember one time we were zooming way in on skin tones from different cameras, I think Canon and Sony. And I noticed that the Dragon skintone was made up of many little different colored dots, whereas at the same magnification the other images looked uniform - all one consistent fleshy tone. My thought was that this was the 'trick'. That in truth an object like skin, hit by light, is not 'skintone' but a very complicated amalgamation of lots of colors. I realize that this may seem duh obvious to many, but to me it was the answer in some way as to why the image looked natural. And is therefore - intentional.
Along the lines of what Blair said above. I wonder if some manufacturers make a choice in the programming to unify the tones of adjacent pixels to help paint a 'preferred' image and make it more in this case black and white. Even if. In fact. What the sensor sees is more complicated.
In any case - I have to say the images both looked good. Good enough. So this is not meant as anything more than wondering if that is the difference with how a Dragon sensor perceives versus a more decisively opinionated and processed approach. One sensor allows for the fact there is a little CA. The other processes this out.
Along the lines of what Blair said above. I wonder if some manufacturers make a choice in the programming to unify the tones of adjacent pixels to help paint a 'preferred' image and make it more in this case black and white. Even if. In fact. What the sensor sees is more complicated.
In any case - I have to say the images both looked good. Good enough. So this is not meant as anything more than wondering if that is the difference with how a Dragon sensor perceives versus a more decisively opinionated and processed approach. One sensor allows for the fact there is a little CA. The other processes this out.
