Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Dovetail guide

Joshua Miner

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 29, 2018
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Location
Burlington, VT
Hi folks,
I'm looking into getting a dovetail plate for my Raven. My current setup is going to be light, with the base expander, a battery, monitor, and handle. Is there a specific length I should be looking for? I see dovetail lengths ranging from 4-18" from various manufacturers. Do people use the safety dovetails frequently, or do most people prefer the standard type? My primary use would be for mounting the dovetail to a tripod plate and then using it to balance the Raven. Thank you!
 
The standard ARRI dovetail comes in a few flavors and lengths.

Typical lengths are 6, 12, 18, and 24 inchers for people who have big lenses or enjoy playing nodal tricks.

The most common and likely most useful is the 12" or 300mm if you're any place else in the world.

Then there's the variety of the plates themselves. There are lightweight plates that are cored out a bit and save weight. There's also various plates with and without safety bolts or levers to prevent the camera from sliding off at full tilt and also help speed up plate removal. I recommend at least a bolt or lever on one side and a lever on the other. Personal preference from working with them forever.

Lastly is the base plate itself. I'm still using RED's Quick Release Platform because I like the concept of having a plate that is always on the camera then can quickly drop onto rods. Bright Tangerine's newer Left Field is also pretty cool and you don't have to slide it onto the dovetail as it can magically open wider. Honestly there's a lot of variety in the market here and you'll have to discover what you prefer.

I personally use 19mm rods more often than not, when I go super lightweight I go down to single 15mm or 19mm rod via the rodClaw and a single rod follow focus. I would personally recommend the newer titanium rods from BT. They are really nice.
 
I have been using the Bright tangerine left field for some time now and loving it, both the dovetail 300mm and bridgeplate (wich is adjustable). The ability to mount the camera from the top on to the dovetail is Golden!
 
Thank you Phil and Johnny! I've been eying the Left Field setup for a week or so and I'll pick that up. The titanium rods are pricey, but the quality looks like it's worth it. I had been bouncing between BT, Movcam, RED, and Wooden Camera setups and trying to find a good configuration for my needs. I love the RED setup, it's just on the expensive end. I come from the 15mm rod universe, so 19mm is a new standard to me.
 
Also, Phil, I love the idea of the rodClaw - I've always wondered what that M3 slot was for, the one below the media bay. Are there any other accessories that utilize it?
 
Back
Top