Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

DJI Ronin + Dragon + Master Primes?

Jonathan Petts

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 29, 2014
Messages
181
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Location
London,UK
Hello all,

Got a DP asking about mounting Master Primes on the Dragon on a DJI Ronin ?

Anyone even tried this ? I had problems getting the Leica summicron lenses on the Ronin - my gut tells me they wont go on. But I know some people are magicians with this thing.

We do have the extended Cinemilled pan arms I should note as well.

We will then have the DJI Focus and Teradek Bolt Pro 300 for wireless focus and video.

Any tips or help would be amazing!

Jonny
 
Might try looking into the zeiss Otis lenses with ef mount. I think you'd be shocked at the comparisons. Mini master primes, AND full frame
 
I had a shoot with Dragon + Cooke S4 Mini (+ filters + FF + Wireless) and I was around 50% of motor power, without extra length on the Ronin side, so even with 1.5kg+ for the lense (1.5kg s4 mini, 3kg for Master Prime) I don't see why it could go wrong.

https://www.instagram.com/p/0AOx-4NtJl/

Just be sure to run the VMount outside of the balanced rig, you have to remove all the weight !

What was the issue with Leica Summicrons ?
 
I had a shoot with Dragon + Cooke S4 Mini (+ filters + FF + Wireless) and I was around 50% of motor power, without extra length on the Ronin side, so even with 1.5kg+ for the lense (1.5kg s4 mini, 3kg for Master Prime) I don't see why it could go wrong.

https://www.instagram.com/p/0AOx-4NtJl/

Just be sure to run the VMount outside of the balanced rig, you have to remove all the weight !

What was the issue with Leica Summicrons ?


We have the Battery Belt clip to go along with it. So that takes off alot!

We just had a few issues with the motor's just giving out - could have been how we configured it I guess.
Thats good to know that you managed to get it all on okay with an S4 ! I have some hope !
 
We have the Battery Belt clip to go along with it. So that takes off alot!

Yeah I have that setup too.

With a Leica Summicron you should be around 35-50 motor power depend the axis with a well balanced rig. With master primes I guess something around 45-65 ?

At least you don't have to deal with a **s/$ùù big receiver for the wireless FF haha (it's why I bought my own FF with receiver in the motor, so much easier than balance the big box).
 
Keep us in the loop with BTS photo's of the setup and what you encountered please.. I'm very interested in purchasing a Ronin for my Dragon here shortly, but I don't want to be disappointed with weight issues.. Would the Movi or Defy be a better choice? Yet, given the price of the Ronin, it's hard not to go that route...
 
Keep us in the loop with BTS photo's of the setup and what you encountered please.. I'm very interested in purchasing a Ronin for my Dragon here shortly, but I don't want to be disappointed with weight issues.. Would the Movi or Defy be a better choice? Yet, given the price of the Ronin, it's hard not to go that route...


I will make sure I take photo's and note down any points of interest while trying to balance it.

I would note that prior to the Leica's (which looks like I set-up wrong) we have had no issues and even using a 70-200mm lens worked perfectly on it.
 
I think if using MP´s then you are boarderline to heavy. Filter and matte box will not help, heavy focus motor and fiz receiver will also add weight. So even if you strip the camera to the minimum you run a risk of being front heavy. And to me the extensions for ronin does not really make things better as you kind of have to extend all axes ot make things work and then you added even more weight and the rig then also has more inertia. So the simple solution would be to find shorter, lighter glass.
 
I agree. I don't really like using PL mount lenses on the ronin. Just the weight of the RED PL mount is prohibitive for me. I'don't rather use EF mount.
Contax, leica R, cp2, are good options I MO according to what render you expect.
Also for the FF go with one that have a integrated receiver, I own the cine gear and the DJI and I'm pretty amazed by the strength and quietness of the DJI focus. Stunning for that price range!
 
I agree. I don't really like using PL mount lenses on the ronin. Just the weight of the RED PL mount is prohibitive for me. I'don't rather use EF mount.
Contax, leica R, cp2, are good options I MO according to what render you expect.
Also for the FF go with one that have a integrated receiver, I own the cine gear and the DJI and I'm pretty amazed by the strength and quietness of the DJI focus. Stunning for that price range!


I have the DJI Focus so im not too worried about the weight of any brain on the unit.
We most certainly won't be able to have any matte boxes or filters on.

Incase the MP's dont go on we have a 16mm Canon lens on stand-by which is a pretty shitty downgrade for the DP if it doesnt work - but none the less I will keep everyone posted if I can get it to work!
I feel like I really also need the Extended Tilt arms if I want it to work.
 
I've done this set up. We had to use the dji extension arms in order to get the balance right. I believe we used a sideplate not back plate for battery as well. Even then ronin would occasionally lose calibration trying to hold the weight of the whole thing. It works, but you have to be patient. If it's a busy day I might try to use an ultra prime instead.
 
Back
Top