Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Custom Steadicam for REDusers <1800USD - Post your ideas

regarding the survey
http://www.esurveyspro.com/Survey.aspx?id=08f4e505-0eb9-4a50-8c19-b35d51b766a8

2. Monitor mount on 15mm rods, instead of unique dedicated rising solution used now. *

What is this ? What's the disadvantage of the current solution ? Is this the thing that was talked here where you can't properly balance the rig in some situations ? But with the 15mm rods you have more control ?
--------

3. Supple battery plate mounted on 15mm rods, must be angle adjustable.

Same thing here also ?
---------

5. Additional forward travel for the camera mounting dovetail plate. *

- again about proper balancing ?
-----------

And also I noticed in the survey it's nothing about stronger springs. People here said this model is barely enough for a Scarlet and I have a Red One MX. Which I think weighs twice as much.
 
Last edited:
Modifications were takan from the list provided to manufacturer. Hence we'll get survey results and go into more details.
 
thats what happens when you buy products from copiers and people that have 0 experience in this business. Who ever thinks that getting a few cnc machines and routers can make a steadicam rig that works as it should then he is very far from true. Why do you think already established companies like Tiffen, Pro, etc, havent made a steadicam that flies on its own yet?
just tell it to fly and it flies? All those little details are the ones responsible that make a good proffesional with out issues rig.
Even older steadicam systems like SK , provid , etc all had their issues , so you guys are trying to buy something in the range of 1800 usd, and have all this sorted?
I suggest you take some cources first, do some steadicam seminars, there are plenty out there, and then my friends you will have a much better understanding of the tools and the operation , as well as whats needed and what it takes to fly steadicams and produce decent shots.I just wish you good luck and try and at least direct you a little towards a more decent product. On the other hand in the past, many bought the action products stabilizers , which was and still is a very nice engineered product, with best quality available for a fraction of the cost of similar systems, and that ended up having plenty of systems used for sale after a few months or a year. its because people jumped in for the price and never really though it takes a little more than money to be a steadicam op. Because unfortunatly you will need to become one to use those tools. its not something you take out of the bag and it works easilly, it has a learning curve. And learning HOW it works as well is something you l;earn in steadicam sessions. Once you know all this you will never turn back, or you will move away.
So I suggest you do this first, then you will discover a brand new world .
Best regards and good luck
 
thats what happens when you buy products from copiers and people that have 0 experience in this business. Even older steadicam systems like SK , provid , etc all had their issues , so you guys are trying to buy something in the range of 1800 usd, and have all this sorted? And learning HOW it works as well is something you l;earn in steadicam sessions

This position is pretty common for many Steadicam(r) operators. Yet exactly same operators are very frustrated with Steadicam prices, and prices are such because Tiffen is able to sell only small amount of items.
Idea that only select, proper companies can produce system that use basic laws of physics and same principles is just wrong.
I fully support your idea about steadicam courses, operating steadicam rig requires good skill, and original Steadicam courses have very good repulatiton. Yet most good steadicam operators learned by themselfs or from their more skilled peers.
 
thats what happens when you buy products from copiers and people that have 0 experience in this business...................

I think it would be best to post constructive criticism and suggestions here.

Replies such as : my steadicam is longer, no.. mine is even longer, and mine is made of gold - are not helpful.
 
sebastian, constructive critisism is all I do,trying to tell to some people to get this right. I dont sell steadicams , Iam mainly talking about this because I have been doing this for a dozzen years and have tested 75% of all available products including Chinese brands lieke movcam. To be quite honnest I have also tried to help Movcam in one point since they had a different design arm, to help them construct a decent rig. No matter what I did they were keep doing mistakes. YoU KNOW WHY?not because they havemt got educated engineers. It because none is a steadicam operator, and engineer at the same time, nor had anything to do with this industry before. Even having experience in how to operate a camera would be helpfull.
However if you think my advice isnt helpfull then I ll be gladly stop.
Vitaliy, there are many kind of operators, some have also a mechanical or grip backround, some dont, the standard rules in any way are the same. So its best you find out before you develope bad habbits which can be more difficult to fix, but yeah most have the enthusiasm to try on their own. I did. but I already knew all the mechanics and physics of steadicam due to my engineering and robotic backround, so it was easier to understand what I had to do.
Sorry if some think Iam trying Not to help.
again good luck.
 
I dont think there is frustration on stadicam prices. you can be a proffessional op having a very cost effective but advanced rig. The way to do this is mix components to suit your preference, body structure, and taste. There are still pro-operators out there, who still use a 3A rigs and noone telles them that they arent pros.
prople that are frustrated with pro steadicam prices are people that want to make gigs for 200 euro/ day which cannot justify the price they have paied to get a good system
But those days its even easier as you have a wide choice. You can get an action products rig with all the bells and wistles at a very cost effective price compare to Tiffen, yet have a very advanced and smooth rig. Unfortunatly you will have to add a good wireless FF, a good non latency wireless video, and a dozen of accessories to be able to work with different cameras in various modes. In the older days you only had a few choices at very high prices. Now you have at least 6 manufacturers that make verty proffessional trigs at a fraction of the cost of the standard expensive prices of the past. So its better not worst and operators are happier now.
regards
 
You can get an action products rig with all the bells and wistles at a very cost effective price compare to Tiffen, yet have a very advanced and smooth rig. Unfortunatly you will have to add a good wireless FF, a good non latency wireless video, and a dozen of accessories to be able to work with different cameras in various modes. In the older days you only had a few choices at very high prices. Now you have at least 6 manufacturers that make verty proffessional trigs at a fraction of the cost of the standard expensive prices of the past. So its better not worst and operators are happier now.

For me it seems like you propose to buy certain products here :-)
Most people (by number) using steadicams work in low budget or weddings fields, most do not have wireless FF (and Chinese companies are moving fast in this department also). Low latancy small WHDI transmitter is very cheap now (but most do not use them also).

So, to conclude our discussion (that happens in each and every of similar topics, btw). Different products exist for different people. And now it is good time as you have many choices.
 
Last edited:
I am giving you my hands on experience My friend in different brands. Iam not advertizing for someone. I am the one who also suggested to go toward Pro-line direction if you could get a good offer than getting a came stabilizer.
Action products is for sure a great rig, but hey no worries. go china. it will work in some extent for your use. However using Epics for weddings?? well..ok.
I think I said everything I thought to help you make a wise choice..now..
Iam out of here.
again good luck
 
I completed the survey but as I already said I'm using a Red One MX and most people here said the springs are too weak for a red one.
Your survey doesn't address that.
So I answered most questions with "Can be cool, but I can live without it." or "Like to see it as option."

but not one question with "I absolutely need, it won't buy without it." because I kept waiting to see something about those springs.
 
I completed the survey but as I already said I'm using a Red One MX and most people here said the springs are too weak for a red one.
Your survey doesn't address that.

Thanks.

Can you reference me to the quotes you mentioned concerning springs?
 

We did capture some footage taken by the rig and I'm working on getting the video up.
...................................
-Stronger arm springs! The arm springs barely supported Kwan's Epic rig consisting of 9" touch LCD, V-mount brick, cabling, wireless ff only, RED mattebox, Rokinon/Samyang prime lens. We dialed the tension of the arm to maximum. Adjustment of the springs required an allen wrench even though there is a hand knob . The present springs will not hold a
fully loaded Red One.



Also, I feel like the Scarlet's weight really pushes the limits of the arm, and the arm sags under it. It flys, but it flys a little low.

quotes
 
Thanks.

Can you reference me to the quotes you mentioned concerning springs?

Here's the list

Ideas for modifications

Stronger arm springs for a payload of up to 11kg or more. Maybe replaceable springs for heavier loads
Easy and fast adjustment of the springs. Right now, an allen wrench is required even though there is a hand knob
All parts milled and not made out of folded metal
Monitor mount on 15mm rods
Battery plate on 15mm rods, angle adjustable (either V-mount or AB-mount depending on every individual order) with LEMO 2pin out
Quick release dovetail system with two 1/4" and one 3/8"
Additional forward travel for the camera mounting dovetail plate
Additional clearance of bottom of tilt head when mounted on the sled cradle. A thicker docking ring or additional spacer would solve this problem
Docking plate which mounts to any light stand
Sturdy carbon pole with diameter between 1.5“ to 2“
Improved vertical adjustment length of the arm
A 90 degree mark for camera head tilt. Also markings on the center pole to align the monitor and battery sleds.
Bubble levels on both stage and bottom of the sled (with back-light)
2x 2pin LEMO, HDMI and an HD-SDI socket at the bottom of the sled
3x 2pin LEMO (2x 12VDC, 1x 5VDC), HDMI and HD-SDI socket at the top of the sled
1x 2pin LEMO to 6pin RED LEMO cable
3x 2pin LEMO to flying wire cables
Junction box with 1/4" thread or rod clamp: 2pin LEMO in / 2x D-Tap, 2x XLR and 2x USB 5v out (at additional cost / not included in the base package)
No generic printed text or labels like "Camera Stabilizer"or "Hotwheel"
All aluminum parts black anodized
 
I know about this list, I asked for quotes that Sebastian already provided so we could contact and talk in details.

That list was derived from all comments about the CAME/Laing model, including the above quotes. I think you will find it fairly comprehensive if you cross check it.
 
Some comments from nickmilo on his ProLine & Laing Test:

Very Impressed with the [ProLine] today! Purposely went with a heavier setup to push it... thing is solid. I got tons of video so I'll hopefully have it up here soon. Cool additions in the works for the "REDuser Edition" including red specific lemo connectors in the D/J Box and red colored cables.

For those who are wondering, the camera itself came in at 26.5lbs, we also had 3 batteries on the sled itself, two smaller ones and a big sucker mounted under the DBox... As to the springs and noise, didn't hear a thing during the testing... no squeaks, chirps or creeks whatsoever.

Got some good stuff off of the Laing, but then again, I wouldn't say its a "True" Laing, because David added a alot of additional modifications (and $) to get it up to the point where it is. And it is a good system, yes, but one of the things I curious about is if it could fly a R1 (as thats what I own), I realized quite quickly that it wasn't gonna happen...

David's rig build: photos

Even if it were to come with stiffer springs and the other planned/suggested mods, I do foresee other parts in the system coming up short that would need more work to get it able to fly heavier setups (Red1 or Scarlet/Epic with Cine Lens)-- a big one being the gimbal. For light Scarlet use, I'd say the Laing is great, David's been getting some good success off of it...

Having the thicker post on the Proline definitely helped as you're able to have more control. One of the comments I heard is that even though the Proline was more than twice as heavy as the Laing, the gimbal felt smoother and more comfortable....
 
David, may be it is best to provide links to this comments and discussion, instead of cross posting them?

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showth...t-your-model&p=1165672&viewfull=1#post1165672

So it'll be all in one place.

This thread here is about the customization and redesign of the Laing M02, the other one about the election of a rig for the group buy (all those rigs can fly a RED one and do also fulfills other requests). The Laing is not included there, since it doesn't have some of those requested features and can't, at least not in the version out there, fly a RED one. Again, there will be probably two group buys, one of a more expensive, but also more evolved system, and one of the Laing M02.
 
Back
Top