Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Cant find a great wide angle Lens option for Weapon 6K - WTF?

Was going to suggest the 20mm ultra. I own one, it covers 6kFF and i would be willing to say that it and the ultras fall in a sweet spot of price, performance and size. I was tempted to part with mine and start buying masters but ultras are ideal for gimbal work . . .


I think this one is the ticket. Comes with a nice price tag tho
 
I you have a limited buget I highly recommend the Zeiss ZE 15mm or the Canon 11-24mm.







______________________________
Motionary – Videoproduktion Schweiz

2x RED EPIC, 2x CANON 1DX MARK II, CINEPRIMES, GIMBAL AERIAL…

www.motionary.ch
 
Again the 15mm is way too wide to look natural, maybe if I'm shooting a 90s rap video lol. Needs to be around 18-20mm for the sweet spot. And budget is less of a concern. Unless we're talking $30k for A big boy Lecia, I really want to take money, for the most part, out of the equation and go with the best lens for the situation. Right now I'm between the ultra 20 hopefully they do EF mount for it, the Lecia 19 adapted to EF, or funny enough the Sigma 20. And that's only cause these are really the only ones that I can find out there that fit my, not very strict requirements, and I'm sure many others requirements too. So we have The ultra expensive, The old tech, and The cheapo glass. I'm being funny, but man really, why doesn't zeiss make the 18mm CP.2 faster, or Canon Cine at 18 or 20mm. Or Shneider 3's that cover 6k. Or Cooke's that cover 6K or... Nevermind, Don't answer that. Just point me to the magical perfect lens that only cost as much as a new Raven or S-W :biggrinjester:
 
Own the 18mm CP2, works great, looks great. Yes it's not fast, but still a great option.
CZ lenses are also outstanding
 
"it just don't look natural to me" What exactly does that mean? In English if possible

Exactly, 15mm is a bit too wide, starts to look fisheyed somewhat.

And tilt and pans with 15mm look like the room is spinning. Heres a good example of the tilt movement here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNp9yJ8R5p8&list=PLncnVMHIDhgLs3OSrXqGUBIk1BnvL2V6B

Tell me you see the distortion. And i don't want to rely on a fixing this distortion in post.


But really what do you care about my taste in FOV.
 
Last edited:
Ok, I am starting to lose my mind trying to find the best wide angle lens option for my Weapon Dragon 6k sensor. I have rented lenses, I have looked almost everywhere, and I have done tons of research, but still none of them seem to fit right.
I really hope you guys can help lead me to the right one, for the last 3 weeks I have hit a wall and just cant figure this damn thing out. Let me explain what I already have, and what I am looking for. I am sure I am missing some things so any experienced help is very much appreciated.

I already own the Otus 28mm, 55mm, and 85mm. 28mm is just not very wide with S35 sensor.

Required Specs: I am looking for a focal length around 18 to 21mm, a prime lens, a sharp lens, EF mount, absolutely needs to cover the 6k Dragon sensor at 6k, budget is not a concern.


LENS RESEARCH SO FAR:

Zeiss 18mm CP.2 - Not sure how sharp it really is. Seems ok but the aperture isn't very fast. Won't get that background/foreground blur in most situations. and i.e. no low light benefits.

Zeiss Milvus and Distagon etc. - Not very sharp I hear. Milvus is definitely pretty soft.

Schneider 18mm Cine-Xenar III - Doesn't cover Dragon sensor at full 6k. (again so I have read) and a bummer cause I really like the look of these.

Schneider 18mm Xenon FF - Cover Dragon 6K, but from what I have read they have major CA problems.

Sigma Art 20mm - It is very cheap, and aside from the obvious areas this cheaper photo lens doesn't offer, the image just doesn't compare to my Otus set. I have a feeling I will constantly be thinking I need better glass on the front of my Weapon, and that will pretty much bother me every day I use it.

Canon 24mm Cine lens - Don't seem to be very sharp, color is not great, and their widest is 24mm just not wide enough.

Cooke 18mm S4mini - Vignettes at 6K with certain stops (so I have read) honestly haven't looked as much into this one as the others.

Lecia Summilux-C and Summacron-C - Very very pricey, Just can't justify paying that much for 1 lens just yet. Price is a factor when its $30k+ for 1 lens. Also have no EF mount option, and did I mention its pricey?

Lecia Elmarit M 18mm - No EF mount option.

Red Pro Primes - Haven't heard or seen great things from these. Their cameras are certainly great tho.


There were others not worth listing cause they don't cover 6K dragon sensor.

So, what else is out there that works along the lines of my specs? I assume I am not the only one with these same requirements for a wide angel lens.


Have ve you ever used sigma 20mm?

I own one.

in terms of sharpness, it is the sharpest wide angle along with the list also the fastest.

only one lens can beat this sigma lens in terms of f stop/T stop.
its arri ultra speed 16mm 1.3t. None of company actually made 1.4 at this much wide angle.

if you feel cheap, you can do cine mod at G.L optics and that's still cheaper than canon cine glass.
I don't find sigma's new art series as cheap look. It's just modern look - commercial style.

Lens choice isn't based on how much it is, it's just different style...

i am so sad to hear that you think it's just a cheap lens
 
Have ve you ever used sigma 20mm?

I own one.

in terms of sharpness, it is the sharpest wide angle along with the list also the fastest.

only one lens can beat this sigma lens in terms of f stop/T stop.
its arri ultra speed 16mm 1.3t. None of company actually made 1.4 at this much wide angle.

if you feel cheap, you can do cine mod at G.L optics and that's still cheaper than canon cine glass.
I don't find sigma's new art series as cheap look. It's just modern look - commercial style.

Lens choice isn't based on how much it is, it's just different style...

i am so sad to hear that you think it's just a cheap lens


Well Minu let me describe what I mean by cheap lens, cause I don't think its a bad lens, I actually rented one just to check it out, but what i mean by cheap is a couple things that do suck compared to higher end lenses, the focus throw is very short, the focus ring doesn't have stops, and is doesn't have a very smooth ring movement, and other things when it comes to build quality come into question with the cheapness of the housing, but I think? its at least a metal housing which is good, the fixed hood is a pita for light weight filter mounting. Most of which it looks like the GL optics solves, thx for that info BTW, kinda bad they want over 4 times the price as the actual lens tho. But I might get it anyways, cause image quality is what it all comes down to in the end, testing it soon so we'll see if it holds up. I mean its soo cheap kinda should have it for how much value you get out of it, again if it performs.
 
Back
Top