Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Cant find a great wide angle Lens option for Weapon 6K - WTF?

Phil is right that Zeiss 15mm is a very sharp contemporary lens, And I think would hold up well next to Otus, and has Zeiss charachter. But then 15mm is a long ways from 28mm.


Exactly, 15mm is a bit too wide, starts to look fisheyed somewhat. But that would be the one if it was 18 instead of 15mm. 2.8 is plenty fast for me and will certainly do the trick with OOF and low light management.

There are some very good insights here thanks everyone for their help. Gonna keep reading thru this.
 
Brian, what was ur experience with the Ruby ?

I really liked it, awesome lens..
With Red having a nikon mount myself personally would rather go with the nikon 14-24 non cine zoom lens.
Reason being.. focus markers aren't deal breaker nor is the PL mount or reversed focus direction on nikon.
But this is speaking without having used the nikon, after actually using it my opinion might change lol
 
Another vote for the 15mm and 21mm CP.2's to compliment the otus'.

Also, if you are considering throwing another ~25k into your lenses, I would take a very serious look at the 15-30 CZ.2.

I think a near perfect modern FF set these days consists of the complete OTUS line and the complete CZ.2 line.
 
Canon EF mount option? Not on Duclos website
Leitax makes a "permanent" EF mount adapter for Leica-R (and many other) lenses. Duclos or RP Lens can install it for you. Costs about $150 per lens.
 
The CP.2s should work fine as would the Summicrons, I have doubts about the Ultra Prime being able to cover the 6k area however.

Depending on your reasons for specifying wanting a prime lens, you might want to take a look at the Ultra Wide Zoom. It's an extraordinary lens that outperforms many prime lenses and meets all your other requirements. Especially since you stated that budget is not a concern :001_tt2:.

9.5-18mm
very sharp
barely any distortion at all
barely any breathing at all
Comes with PL and EF mounts
image circle is 34.5mm

https://www.arri.com/camera/cine_lenses/zoom_lenses/ultra_wide_zoom_uwz_95_18/
 
I have the Zeiss 15mm and love it . Goes great with the Oti .
Only problem is the built in hood is hard to use with matt boxes and hard to use circa pole.
Thanks,
Tim
 
The CP.2s should work fine as would the Summicrons, I have doubts about the Ultra Prime being able to cover the 6k area however.

Depending on your reasons for specifying wanting a prime lens, you might want to take a look at the Ultra Wide Zoom. It's an extraordinary lens that outperforms many prime lenses and meets all your other requirements. Especially since you stated that budget is not a concern :001_tt2:.

9.5-18mm
very sharp
barely any distortion at all
barely any breathing at all
Comes with PL and EF mounts
image circle is 34.5mm

https://www.arri.com/camera/cine_lenses/zoom_lenses/ultra_wide_zoom_uwz_95_18/

haha. I like your style :cool: $$$ :cool:. Surprising that they can make a better lens at 9-18mm that doesn't have as many limitations as most ultra wide cinemas.
 
I have the Zeiss 15mm and love it . Goes great with the Oti .
Only problem is the built in hood is hard to use with matt boxes and hard to use circa pole.
Thanks,
Tim

I wish the 18mm had the same aperture and I really need between 18 and 21mm, 15 is just too wide and unnatural looking for me on the Dragon 6K.
 
Leitax makes a "permanent" EF mount adapter for Leica-R (and many other) lenses. Duclos or RP Lens can install it for you. Costs about $150 per lens.


Oohk I might be into that, how sharp is the Elmarit 19mm? Not sure how well it will match with Otus'.
 
Was going to suggest the 20mm ultra. I own one, it covers 6kFF and i would be willing to say that it and the ultras fall in a sweet spot of price, performance and size. I was tempted to part with mine and start buying masters but ultras are ideal for gimbal work . . .
 
Back
Top