Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Can Filming Welding Hurt your Sensor?

Neil Dearman

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Messages
1,127
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Atlanta/Nashville
Website
neildearman.com
I was filming today a car getting restored and the welder turned around (filming to the side/back) and accidentally filmed him straight on (was far away and had ND filters/mattebox. please let me know (doesn't look like it hurt anything just want to make sure thanks!!!!)
 
Anybody please let me know kind of freaked me out!!!!
 
I've filmed a few short welding pieces with a variable ND and my sensor seemed fine after. Was shooting on a Canon 70-200mm 2.8 at about 4.0. I was a little worried too so I didn't shoot for too long but the sensor seems fine. I'd be interested in hearing about any best practices on this topic though.
 
Yeah me too I know lazers are trouble but have seen a ton of people filming welding, the footage looks amazing too!!!! Any thoughts people please let me know thanks!!!
 
I would love to shoot welding as it looks very cool and organic sparks. But im to afraid of the sensor and red could not say that it is safe for the sensor. But i think you should be fine as i seen serveral welding shoot on red that looks great and some less good with superzoom right at the flare. Also reading on forums people always warn you but i have not yet come across anyone that states there camera have actually gotten damage. Would be a great topic for myth busters:)

I hate my sulotion, but i bring a dslr camera for just those shots that will show the welding (only time i use dslr). I shoot welding even without nd with that with no problems. Would love if someone could kill the myth of welding destroying the sensor!
 
To be on the safe side, use the same ND glass a welder's hood uses to protect the welder's eyes. But I suspect you would be alright with even less ND filter for the camera.
 
I am dyslexic and read the post as



I was slightly disappointed to read the responses and that is wouldn't damgae it ;-)

PS I hvae filmed welding 2 times on my Red 1's and it was fine..

Hehe
 
I think the problem with welding is strong UV light, which you can't see but will hurt your eyes.

I don't think sensors are that sensitive for UV light and I have filmed some welding without problems but if you're worried then add a UV filter and you should be fine.

Weddings on the other hand...
 
I was very far away and had a ND and mattebox on so shouldn't be a factor.
 
I have shot both welding and glass blowing fire on my red mx with no ND and no issues. Lasers are the enemy and should be completely avoided!
 
I've shot welding with Red epic mx with ND and without, and later upgraded to Dragon with no problems!
 
Just completed a Welding vid - no probs.

Stu Aull
SX199
Alaska
 
I've shot welding with Red epic mx with ND and without, and later upgraded to Dragon with no problems!
sweet that is a relief thanks man :)
 
+1 shot welding without ND's, no problems.
 
Same here - filmed welding and never had issues.
 
Hey guys, im digging this back up because users warned of filming lasers. Do you mean like lasers aimed directly into the lens? Because the metal shop ill be filming at will have welding, (which brought me here) as well as plasma laser cutters and such. Would filimg the laser cutters be a no no? Or like I said are you talking about direct laser into the lens?

Thanks
 
Back
Top