Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Best Thunderbolt SSD Dock for editing Dragon 6k footage?

Mike Quill

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
647
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I just pulled the trigger on a maxed out 15" MacBook Pro to edit Red Epic Dragon 6K footage natively in Premier CC. I'd like to edit on 1TB SSDs over Thunderbolt. What would be my best set up if speed and portability is important?

I was thinking about buying the HighPoint RocketStor Thunderbolt Dock: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home…

And going with 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSDs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…

Are there any issues with this setup that I should be aware of? Are there better Thunderbolt docks out there? Or maybe I should consider USB3 docks as well?

Thanks much,
Mike

 
Michael,
Sorry, ignore me. While the device might be of use to you, i've just realised it uses G-Drive drives, which don't come in SSDs, only 512GB/1TB 7,200rpm HDDs. Sorry - i'll keep my head down and shut up!

Richard
 
Michael,
Sorry, ignore me. While the device might be of use to you, i've just realised it uses G-Drive drives, which don't come in SSDs, only 512GB/1TB 7,200rpm HDDs. Sorry - i'll keep my head down and shut up!

Richard

You can not only use G-Drive SSD's in it ( http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive-ev-ssd ), G-Tech also has some interesting products in the pipeline that may make it very suitable for this exact use.
 
I have the RocketStor dock for my DIT station and the only complaint about it is that it doesn't have a second TB port for passthrough. Not sure if it would work for what you want (I think it would), but it's worked great for me.
 
I have the RocketStor dock for my DIT station and the only complaint about it is that it doesn't have a second TB port for passthrough. Not sure if it would work for what you want (I think it would), but it's worked great for me.

Matthew do you ever do any native 6k editing with it in Premiere? If so is it fast or sluggish?
 
Hi Kwan,

After doing a lot of research today I'm also thinking the Lacie Little Big Disk might be my best option for my main working drive. When you say it's 'on sale,' is it usually more than $1,200 at B&H?

Mike

Michael,
It was $1250 - $1299, I think price has dropped (not on sale)
 
I just pulled the trigger on a maxed out 15" MacBook Pro to edit Red Epic Dragon 6K footage natively in Premier CC. I'd like to edit on 1TB SSDs over Thunderbolt. What would be my best set up if speed and portability is important?

I was thinking about buying the HighPoint RocketStor Thunderbolt Dock: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home…

And going with 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSDs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…

Are there any issues with this setup that I should be aware of? Are there better Thunderbolt docks out there? Or maybe I should consider USB3 docks as well?

Thanks much,
Mike


I hope you have a Rocket X
 
Matthew do you ever do any native 6k editing with it in Premiere? If so is it fast or sluggish?

No I don't. However, I can max out two 7200RPM drives's I/O when downloading footage to them. So I have gotten 250-300MB's off traditional hard drives and I have gotten 300MB+ off SSD's.
 
In my own experience I have found Thunderbolt powered SSD drives to be quite slow when compared to spinning drives (7200 rpm) in a RAID config. I have two first gen Promise Pegasus R6s with TB 1 set to the slower RAID 5, and according to the BlackMagic Disk Speed Test...I get a write speed of 750 MB/s...and reads that are north of 500 MB/s....On my older laptop (2011 Macbook Pro with an internal SSD) I get less than half that when measuring the speed with which the motherboard talks to the SSD drive inside the computer. By contrast however, my "trashcan" writes to its internal SSD (a newer tech) at some 980 MB/s. I tested the LaCie Big Disk at one point for speed (I don't remember what the results were if I am honest) and it was not even close to what my old Pegasus Drives do. Not scientific, Your mileage may vary.....
 
I just pulled the trigger on a maxed out 15" MacBook Pro to edit Red Epic Dragon 6K footage natively in Premier CC. I'd like to edit on 1TB SSDs over Thunderbolt. What would be my best set up if speed and portability is important?

I was thinking about buying the HighPoint RocketStor Thunderbolt Dock: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home…

And going with 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSDs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…

Are there any issues with this setup that I should be aware of? Are there better Thunderbolt docks out there? Or maybe I should consider USB3 docks as well?

Thanks much,
Mike


Hi Kwan,

After doing a lot of research today I'm also thinking the Lacie Little Big Disk might be my best option for my main working drive. When you say it's 'on sale,' is it usually more than $1,200 at B&H?

Mike

I'm using the Lacie Little Big Disk (with 6K R3D's) and the disk is faster than any external drive I've ever used. It's light, small and super fast and it has been reliable so far.
 
I'm using the Lacie Little Big Disk (with 6K R3D's) and the disk is faster than any external drive I've ever used. It's light, small and super fast and it has been reliable so far.

That's great to hear, Robert, as I just placed my order for the Lacie Little Big Disk as well! What computer are you editing on?

I also ordered 2x Samsung 1TB 850 Pro SSDs so now I'm trying to decide on the best USB 3 bus powered enclosure. My first choice is currently this Inateck enclosure because it seems to be faster with its UASP technology (whatever that means lol): http://www.inateck.com/inateck-feu3ns-1e-usb-3-0-superspeed-hdd-external-enclosure/ Does anyone have a better product to recommend?

In all likelihood, I'll need to eventually purchase a 4-5 bay Raid enclosure. Seems like the two best manufacturers to consider are Promise and Lacie. Someone recommended the LaCie 5big to me: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...Tk8JwXk8qfbqCkaAuSJ8P8HAQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

LaCie's options seem to be more affordable than Promise's. But how do they compare peformance and reliability wise?
 
I have been editing off of the Lacie Big Disks for the last couple of months and they have been fantastic! Highly recommend!

8 core trashcan
d700
32Gb Ram
 
Back
Top