Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Basic Scarlett-W set up?

Richard Kynaston

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 1, 2013
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Location
London, United Kingdom
Morning all (well if your in the UK it is!),
I've worked with RED cameras a little over the past year or so through work, but have decided to take the plunge on a Scarlett-W for myself. Can I just confirm what the basic package to shoot is? Im thinking Brain, LCD or Viewfinder, Red-Mags, battery plate and battery. Is there anything else that is a MUST HAVE to be usable - apart from a lens of course! I need to be taking XLR audio into the camera, so I'm guessing its either the Wooden Camera A-Box or a OffHollywood OMOD XLR - and presumably the latter is better? Battery wise I'm either going PAG v-moutn or AB Gold, favouring the PAG, but not totally sure yet.

Lens wise - I'm thinking of a couple of Zeiss SuperSpeeds to start with, which I think should be fine for 5K, and still be usable in the future if I upgrade to 8K, can anyone confirm?

I know there are various options for the battery plate, Wooden Camera, Element Technica and of course RED. From the guys that are using this kit already, do you have any preference as to which is the best/most durable?

Thanks in advance chaps.

Rich
 
Don't forget the appropriate lens mount, as well as an expander if you need any I/O (v-mount expander is your cheapest option if you're going v-mount, however it's also the least flexible and only has 3.5mm audio jacks).
 
Hi Nathan,
Ah! Good point - i'd assumed a lens mount was included with the brain, but looking at the website, its not. We don't use the motion mounts at work - can anyone say what the advantage of them is?

Rich
 
I've never used one, but the motion mount gives you the ability to shoot with a global shutter, which reduces the jello distortion or skew, often seen during quick movement with rolling shutter on CMOS sensors.
 
PAG gold mount batteries are awesome.

Superspeeds will handle 8K Helium like the monster beast lenses they are.

I have an OMOD POE and like it a lot... I'm not sure if the XLR module has the RTmotion MDR built in, but if you need wireless FIZ support... can't recommend the RTMotion / Latitude based follow focus system enough. Really good stuff.
 
Hi Nathan,
We don't use the motion mounts at work - can anyone say what the advantage of them is?

And motion mount has built in ND filters which are electronically controlled in precise increments. But having the mount on all the time costs you about a stop of light. Most don't use Motion Mount as the primary all the time mount.
 
I'm ordering the Base IO package minus the red power pack (already have IDX V mount charger and batteries galore) + Canon EF mount aluminium, the same mount on my MX has had no issues so I see no need for titanium for EF mount.
Also ordering a minimag or two. Likely two 512's. The Scarlet doesn't need the full speed of the 512 and 1tb minimags but incase I ever hire a weapon, those cards will handle the high res and lower compression.
 
Guys,
Thats great, thanks. I'd forgotten about PAG doing a gold mount option now. As for motion mount, hmm yes that's an interesting point about loosing a stop. Low light and external night filming may be better done with a standard mount if that respect I guess.

Rich
 
Back
Top