Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Base iso Epic-w

Aaron Bernakevitch

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 21, 2008
Messages
287
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Calgary | Vancouver
Website
www.aaronbernakevitch.com
Has there been any chatter at what the base iso of the Epic-w will be?

Is it more sensitive then the dragon?

Thanks

A
 
People have been saying its more sensitive but I don't remember hearing any hard numbers being thrown out there. I'm sure thats information we'll find out as soon as its in a lot of hands and a lot of tests are done on the sensor.
 
The real answer is it depends on which OLPF you're using.

I will be doing some tests right when I'm back and she'd some light on that.
 
Helium and Dragon are different. If your goal is a clean image at higher ISO ratings then yep you'll still like the Low Light Optimized OLPF. Especially on Helium in low light.

I'm gonna write up a bit thing with images about this shortly to help clarify and perhaps provide a practical POV on the whole thing.
 
Helium and Dragon are different. If your goal is a clean image at higher ISO ratings then yep you'll still like the Low Light Optimized OLPF. Especially on Helium in low light.

I'm gonna write up a bit thing with images about this shortly to help clarify and perhaps provide a practical POV on the whole thing.

That will be great Phil, thanks for doing this.I never remove the LLO on the Dragon. Can I expect similar performance on the highlights and better on the lows in Helium? Thats the idea I'm getting from the posts here. This will be required read for us upgraders!
 
The real answer is it depends on which OLPF you're using.

I will be doing some tests right when I'm back and she'd some light on that.

I thought with DSMC2 the OLPF has moved back onto the sensor. So what you change is a IR/UV filter?

I am a little confused..
 
I thought with DSMC2 the OLPF has moved back onto the sensor. So what you change is a IR/UV filter?

I am a little confused..

You're confusing something Jarred said about a specific piece of the OLPF that they moved to the sensor (it is a part that has to be changed depending on pixel pitch of the sensor), so Jarred was basically saying that the DSMC2 OLPF's are resolution-independent.

Due to this element being separated from the other aspects of the OLPF, you can still use the same DSMC2 OLPFs, like Skin Tone Highlight and Low Light Optimized, on the Helium.
 
I think the confusion is coming from the fact that, although things haven't changed from an end user perspective, the DSMC2 interchangeable OLPF's aren't technically OLPF's anymore, just F's.

If I am remembering correctly, Phil said, somewhere on this forum, that RED took the Optical Low Pass part of the OLPF and moved it to the cover glass, leaving us with just the F part of the OLPF. So, the purely technical stuff has been moved to the cover glass, while still leaving us with all of the creative oppurtunties we had before.

So I guess the question is, if they are not technically OLPF's anymore, should we stop calling them that? Or would changing the name just confuse everyone even more?
 
FWIW, I think we need to move beyond ISO as an exposure reference. Traditionally the nominal ASA/ISO of a "stock" was a point in the exposure range where half the usable stops were above, and half below. The number of stops in each direction before hitting D-min and D-max being the latitude. The center stop was theoretically right at 18% gray (roughly 43IRE). Thanks to the naturally logarithmic nature of silver halide response to photons, the toe and shoulder flattened out in such a way that rating film stocks always included a bit of extension on the extremes if one cared to plumb them. Digital, not so much.

I would argue that signal to noise ratio (S/N) is a better index for digital sensors than ISO. Based on first impressions, the noise floor on Helium is 2 FULL STOPS lower than Dragon, perhaps even more. Proper empirical testing will be required to back that up, but if I'm roughly correct - this will open some options for low light shooting situations that were problematic on Dragon.

Cheers - #19
 
So I guess the question is, if they are not technically OLPF's anymore, should we stop calling them that? Or would changing the name just confuse everyone even more?

nooo, not calling it OLPF would create more confusion.. like the Big 12 which had 10 teams and the Big Ten which has 12 teams.
 
I thought with DSMC2 the OLPF has moved back onto the sensor. So what you change is a IR/UV filter?

I am a little confused..

Don't be totally confused. OLPF is what it started as. Optical Low Pass Filter.

There's the Low Pass/Anti-Aliasing aspect to these filters that has since been moved to the sensor's coverglass on DSMC2 bodies which has improved the optical chain.

The various coatings, layers, and properties of the filters are what changes. The optical and color qualities of the Low Light Optimized Filter, Standard Filter, and Skin Tone - Highlight Filter vary in their anti-reflectiveness, IR blocking/absorption, and general color profile which is detected automatically these days.

The term OLPF is just grandfathered in to keep it simple.
 
BUMP


What's the word on the base ISO for epic-w?.


Thanks all for your comments and thoughts
 
when you view in raw on camera it defaults to 800, which feels right to me, you can push to 3200 though, at least what I have seen shooting it

steve
 
800 is what I would suggest, too. Keeping you about 6 stops towards highlights (on middle grey) which means about 8 stops until clipping (spotmetered on white). And almost 8 stops towards lowlight. With standard OLPF. Did not try any other yet.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top