Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Any word from RED on SanDisk CF card compatibility?

JW Lee

Active member
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Ran across the links regarding the possibility of using the newer SanDisk high speed CF cards on a Red One. Seeing how you cannot buy the SSD module anymore and they are hard to find used, finding an alternative to 16 GB cards and the aging RED drives is becoming a big issue.

Is this just wishful thinking or is there the actual possibility that RED will help out all the R1 owners out there? Looking for any kind of status update.

JW Lee
GCM Media
Phoenix, AZ
 
I wrote to Sandisk and they said no, then I spoke to Red Europe and they also said it wasn't possible because of some proprietary coding.

Shame, because it would be a game changer!
It would be a reward to the R1 users who suffered with 8min mags all those years! 64gb cards under $200!
 
I am really hoping they get these to work.

Stephen
 
CF for sale and pro batery module

CF for sale and pro batery module

Hi there,
I have 5 original RED CF 16GB and 9 CF 8GB for sale, plus 2 CF lexar readers, plus 3 4card sealed mini cases. All in perfect condition. Used in 3 shortcut projects. Like new, really.

All 15 cards, plus 2 card reader, plus mini cases for $1,250, if you are interested.

Also, even if has nothing to do with the CF card thread, a Pro Batery module (quad). New. It has never been used. For $1,250.
Giuseppe
 
I'm still waiting for the outcome, this is what I was told:

Chad Koeller | RED SUPPORT (RED Digital Cinema)
Nov 15 09:54 am (PST)
Hello Gil,
Thank you for contacting RED SUPPORT.
We have not yet been able to verify if these compact flash cards are compatible with the RED ONE, however our engineering team is aware of these compact flash cards and are looking into it.
Thank you, let me know if you have any questions.

I'm just trying to figure how will I be informed if things check out…email?
 
Brent, I'm glad to see that someone at Red has at least looked at this thread and tried to come up with a solution. However, I'm sure you can see how 16GB can be limiting for some of your camera owners. I would like to know if Red as a company is allocating some resources to support the use of third party media for the Red One or has decided that it is in the best interests of the company to consider it an EOL product and it is what it is. I'm pretty sure I speak for other Red One owners that it would be preferable to have a more definitive answer straight from the source than wait for something that may or my not happen depending on which rumor is circulating, even if it's not the answer I want. Even better, make up another batch of the SSD modules and let everyone know that this is the last batch. Our checkbook is out and ready to write that check!
 
We are looking into the possibility of getting RED ONE SSD module material to have units built and have available for customers to purchase. We will be able to confirm in the next couple weeks.


Brent, I'm glad to see that someone at Red has at least looked at this thread and tried to come up with a solution. However, I'm sure you can see how 16GB can be limiting for some of your camera owners. I would like to know if Red as a company is allocating some resources to support the use of third party media for the Red One or has decided that it is in the best interests of the company to consider it an EOL product and it is what it is. I'm pretty sure I speak for other Red One owners that it would be preferable to have a more definitive answer straight from the source than wait for something that may or my not happen depending on which rumor is circulating, even if it's not the answer I want. Even better, make up another batch of the SSD modules and let everyone know that this is the last batch. Our checkbook is out and ready to write that check!
 
We are looking into the possibility of getting RED ONE SSD module material to have units built and have available for customers to purchase. We will be able to confirm in the next couple weeks.

Thank you. Even though I did manage to buy a used SSD module it is great to hear that new SSD modules might be manufactured.
It's a good move that will help many R 1 users.

Brian Timmons
BRITIM/MEDIA
 
That's excellent news as the SSD module is a much better solution. Hopefully we'll have some good news in a couple of weeks. Appreciate having a Red response.
 
Thank you the Red Team for having listened our needs, these 2 Cf Kits are beautiful offers even if it doesn't solve the 8mn limitation.
We all wait for your next answer about new Cf cards compatibility or new SSD modules (why not new Red Cf cards with larger capacity? you seem reluctant to make a third brand Red compatible)..

And if i may say so, here are the bests solutions (according to me of course) :

1: (The best solution so far) Make these new Sandisk Cf cards Red compatible, because of their large capacity, their 4k designed acquisition, their Low price, and the work it implies for your engineers (it takes an update firmware only)

2: Make some new Red Cf Cards, with larger capacities (it will take more time and i'm not a huge fan of this solution, new technology implies a lot of work, which implies a huge price)..

And sorry for saying that but, i don't see the point of something like selling new SSd modules, Red One owners are (for a a lot of us) people who can't afford the epic technology, selling new SSd modules will not be judicious as they don't have the budget for (SSD modules + Red mag + Red station, at the end, it coasts a lot).

Red Mags are expensive, but it is logical when you know how high data ratio it allows, it's epic designed for. Red one need a much lower data rate, so, unless you propose some Red mags Red one dedicated (lower data rate, so lower price), i don't see the point..

Again, please, the Red one is an Old camera, it still kicks ass but it is old, so less appealing and sexy for a lot of people (not for me), just open the doors and let us use these new Sandisk Cf cards please, you can do that, for sure, and it is the simplest and best solution so far..

Thanks again the Red Team, and Mickael in particular
 
Last edited:
Mendes Nabil for president !!!! i completely agree with Nabil point of view...supporting old Red one owner and small production with the ability of using new gen CF card should be the best gift for christmas !
 
I agree with Mendes,

As RED ONE users, we all own CF modules so spending another $1500 seems hard to justify.
On top of that, red mags were made to handle the high data rates for the Epic and they are pretty expensive per GB. The RED ONE gets no benefit from the high data rates as Red Code 42 is the max and RED MAGS don't change that. So for all that money spent, all we get is longer record times.

On the other hand, using the existing CF module and the huge improvements in faster and higher capacity CF cards makes much more sense. Lexar makes 128GB cards that are crazy fast(far more than fast enough for Red Code 42) along with 64GB and 32GB cards.

RED should make a deal with Lexar(just like with the original 8GB), re-brand the cards as RED, bump the price a little, and sell them on the RED store along with a firmware update to support them :)
 
Back
Top