Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Another Cheap battery alternative

Jett He

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 6, 2012
Messages
294
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Los Angeles
Just checked ebay and found these new 130w/hr batteries for $190 shipped including charger. I bought two for some projects in the future. Just wondering if anyone had tried these yet? I've seen quite a few designs and this one seems really sleek on the RED cameras.

LINKY

I'll update once i test them out.
 
Yeah, seriously. 130wh is ~2hours use (more with Dragon) and is plane certified (for two anyway). Let us know.
 
hey guys its Good for REDONE-MX?
 
Last edited:
he meant guys I guess ;)

should be compatible with RED ONE, at least I had no problems with "China-Brand" V-Mount batteries before -> I just didn't like the fact that they don't last as long as good brands when it comes to overall-lifetime (I've seen some cheapo V-Mounts starving after like half a year to a year of use while our original IDX ones lasted about 2 years [sure, every battery looses some capacity after some time, but our cheaper ones died earlier in a long-term perspective]).
 
They should work for RED Ones as most v-mount batteries do. For the price, i dont think there are any brands that come close, even the chinese ones. I just hope they last. Hopefully i can dedicate one for testing purposes such as recharging cycles before performance deteriorates.
 
Just got them in today, or maybe yesterday since i didn't check the mail room. Anyways they look great and sturdy with a nice soft touch plastic. It's Currently charging right now for almost two hours already. I'll update after a few days of testing.
 
I've been using redvolts with my scarlet for weight and compactness. After using this battery I think I can comfortably accept the additional weight. I brought both batteries for a shoot yesterday from 2-7pm with only 20% downtime and I manage to get through it all on one battery. I even had about 20% left when I got home. It's too early to judge it so maybe after a few more shoots. The battery level indicator is questionable, but voltage is displayed through a swit plate. More info to come.
 
I've been using redvolts with my scarlet for weight and compactness. After using this battery I think I can comfortably accept the additional weight. I brought both batteries for a shoot yesterday from 2-7pm with only 20% downtime and I manage to get through it all on one battery. I even had about 20% left when I got home. It's too early to judge it so maybe after a few more shoots. The battery level indicator is questionable, but voltage is displayed through a swit plate. More info to come.

Great!
 
I've been looking for cheap V-mount batteries to power some LED panels (K4000) when I found Jett's post (Thanks Jett!). Immediately jumped on a purchase, though not directly with the link provided but a different one. From the look of it, seems to be the same battery from a different seller. This is the one I purchased...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251298499730?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It's important to note, it's $20 bucks cheaper but doesn't come with a charger. I have a charger so that was $20 bucks saved. I should also note that the battery ships with a removable sticker that labels it as "78Wh" when it's actually 130Wh. The seller sent me a note about the sticker and said it was only for "customs clearance" and to remove it. I think I'll leave it there in case I fly with it, may help me through TSA security, who knows.

Ordered it on July 11, package came July 23... two days sooner than estimated. Battery came charged which was nice. On a full charge it powered the K4000 LEDs 4.5 hours at 100% brightness... more than enough for what I use it for. I can't tell you how these batteries stack up to Red Bricks, GMP, or other known brands but what I see from them so far is nice. As Jett mentioned, it has a nice black rubber finish. Too early to judge it's reliability but I'll continue to test them and maybe revisit this thread in a few months to report it's longevity. If time permits, I'll test these on an Epic this weekend.

(quick note, I received a small package the following day from China... Package said "gift"...??? Apparently the seller sent me a pair of (cheapy) earphones as a thank you. I'll probably never use them but hey, a gift's a gift.)
 

Attachments

  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back
Top