Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

An FCP XML to Redcine XML Script

I Bloom

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
2,195
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
Website
www.ianbloom.com
Not the prettiest code I've ever written but working pretty well for me and I figured I'd share:
View attachment 2683

There is a Applescript Droplet that you can use to run the python script. It will create a new file with the same name with extension .Redcine.xml

The script must remain in the same folder as the droplet. I'd put the whole folder in Applications.

You may need to install the latest version of Python on your Mac. You'll find it here:
http://www.python.org/download/
(try it first and let me know)

Notes:
1. It may break.
2. The handles and timecode are largely untested. (Read not)
3. I'm using DOM instead of SAX, so large timelines may bog the system down, we shall see.
4. Make sure you export sequences not projects.
5. "Load all" your footage before you import XML.
6. Round tripping to FCP is not yet implemented, try relinking.
6. Send me XML that isn't working to debug.

Future plans include, roundtripping to a couple of other apps.

FYI other developers, Redcine doesn't like all formats of xml including toprettyxml() and toxml(). Read the last few lines of my code for the fix.

I couldn't make a transparent icon. If you can then here save this .psd file to disk.

If you use this script successfully you owe me a beer or 100 words of concise useful prose on my wiki http://www.redhax.net

Enjoy,
IBloom
 
correct me if I am wrong

correct me if I am wrong

BASSAM: the app that mr.bloom has written is called a parser, it takes the xml from final cut pro and basically creates a new xml that you can import into redcine as a pull-list.......

unfortunately redcine does not recognise handles just yet... but it will according to all the rumours spreading
 
thanks MAHVO those XML work's like FCP (EDL).. will be imported into redcine
and playback edited version of our clips .
is that right ?:umm:
 
nope..

load all your clips into redcine.. load the converted .xml and it will remove all but the ones that are used in the edit.

Export those as whatever format you want.. say 2k proresHQ

go back to fcp and reconnect clips and point to new exported ones.. now you have a 2k proresHQ version, still with handles though. I don't think RC will cut to in/out points.. just "pull" the full clips used in the edit/xml

Ian I'm getting "cannot load construct" :-/ loaded all clips before into RC.

Si
 
What about clip names?
If I do offline in FCP from the QT ref movies, say at medium quality, the clips will end with "..._M.mov"

Would I have to make sure that I force that name to the clips during the RED cine output or does this script somehow deal with it? I'd like to keep things simple and not have the "..._M" when I do offline, but that would require modifing all the clip names prior to import- yuck!
 
all clips have a unique number... when you parse the xml you just look at clip number and ignore the proxy -m -p -h whatever I suspect.

I see what you mean.. back in fcp the project has -m clips. Need something to mod fcp projects or XML maybe to rem the -m. Another XML ? :-/

s
 
I see what you mean.. back in fcp the project has -m clips. Need something to mod fcp projects or XML maybe to rem the -m. Another XML ? :-/

s

You can do that using the search/replace function in a text editor. Media manage in FCP TO eg 2k offline sequence; export as XML; search/replace; import XML; relink to new Redcine generated media. That's the theory anyway!

Incidentally Redcine does not just pull entire clips. You CAN set ins and outs on a per clip basis. Redcine calls these "handles" in the XML it exports. It just currently ignores those when reading XML back in.
 
You CAN set ins and outs on a per clip basis. Redcine calls these "handles" in the XML it exports. It just currently ignores those when reading XML back in.

agreed... but FCP xml actually states the in and out of each clip, so once handles are supported REDCINE will be able to impoert a parces FCP Pull-list look forward to that :-)... have just done new 35mm vs RED comaprisons and needed to input the clips manually into redcine and then export DPX
 
nope..

load all your clips into redcine.. load the converted .xml and it will remove all but the ones that are used in the edit.

Export those as whatever format you want.. say 2k proresHQ

go back to fcp and reconnect clips and point to new exported ones.. now you have a 2k proresHQ version, still with handles though. I don't think RC will cut to in/out points.. just "pull" the full clips used in the edit/xml

Ian I'm getting "cannot load construct" :-/ loaded all clips before into RC.

Si

Si, send me the FCP XML and the Redcine XML to ian at ianbloom.com

One big debugging issue is I think that cannot load construct will occur even if the XML is good but all clips are not present. There is nothing in the interface or the log file to help you tell the difference.

That's the main thing, is to check that files are all existing before loading. Second thing is to see if clips are duplicated in timeline. If you cut to a take and away and back, then that may be something we need to address. I'll test that theory now.
 
You can do that using the search/replace function in a text editor. Media manage in FCP TO eg 2k offline sequence; export as XML; search/replace; import XML; relink to new Redcine generated media. That's the theory anyway!

Incidentally Redcine does not just pull entire clips. You CAN set ins and outs on a per clip basis. Redcine calls these "handles" in the XML it exports. It just currently ignores those when reading XML back in.

I'm actually just going to mod the FCP XML so that it reflects the clips that Redcine is "going to" generate. The problem is I need to control the output parameters in Redcine from my script in order to know all the new file names. I will also create a new timeline with handles trimmed off the clips. That will allow you too use FCP as your conform app.

I think I'll make the script instruct you on the output parameters until we get access through Redcine XML... Of course command line control of Redcine would solve all this nonsense...

In the meantime this works great to just get complete clips out of Redcine. That is what I have been using it for.

IBloom
 
Flameop,

Well so far no one but me to my knowledge has used this software successfully.

That being said I looked over your .Redcine.XML and it looks like it would pass.

The problem may be file structure. That's an issue I haven't addressed. Can you screen cap a details view of your /Red/RedMedia/ with the appropriate folders expanded.

That dupe folder is suspicious: try manually removing it from Load All
or manually just loading the appropriate 3 R3D shots and seeing if the construct will load at that point.

Currently 23.976 on timelines is hardcoded. If this is the issue let me know.

Also try this revision with no UUIDs passed between programs:
http://www.redhax.net/FCPtoRedcineXML/FCPtoRedCineXML0.0.2.zip

IBloom
 
Si, One more thing,

Before you change anything run Redcine from the command line with the parameter -dd, reproduce the error and send me the log file via email.

In the terminal type:
/Applications/RedCine.app/Contents/MacOS/RedCine -dd

The log file is in:
/Library.Redcine/Settings/logs/
Find the file with the latest date.

Much appreche.
IBloom
 
Hmm.. Deleted the duplicate r3d file from my Media DIR.

loaded 3 clips into FCP.. which btw drops frames on 512x -p clips after QT update on macbookpro :(

Export XML

run droplet

get this now..

----
Last login: Thu Jan 17 09:44:33 on ttys000
python /Applications/Utilities/FCPtoRedCineXML/FCPtoRedCineXML.py /Applications/Utilities/FCPtoRedCineXML/FCP_CULLEDIT_B.xml
flameopmbp:~ flameop$ python /Applications/Utilities/FCPtoRedCineXML/FCPtoRedCineXML.py /Applications/Utilities/FCPtoRedCineXML/FCP_CULLEDIT_B.xml
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/Utilities/FCPtoRedCineXML/FCPtoRedCineXML.py", line 129, in <module>
main()
File "/Applications/Utilities/FCPtoRedCineXML/FCPtoRedCineXML.py", line 126, in main
translate(args[0])
File "/Applications/Utilities/FCPtoRedCineXML/FCPtoRedCineXML.py", line 107, in translate
readSequence(video,library,newdoc)
File "/Applications/Utilities/FCPtoRedCineXML/FCPtoRedCineXML.py", line 96, in readSequence
readClips(clips,shotlist,newdoc)
File "/Applications/Utilities/FCPtoRedCineXML/FCPtoRedCineXML.py", line 56, in readClips
R3DFileName = convertProxyToR3D(pathURLString)
File "/Applications/Utilities/FCPtoRedCineXML/FCPtoRedCineXML.py", line 21, in convertProxyToR3D
date = actualFileNameParts[2]
IndexError: list index out of range

---

Worked before:-/
 
is there a redcine xml spec out or a redcine xml sample ?

would be great to have...

btw why can't redcine read the FCP xml ?

thx a lot
 
Back
Top