Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

1st Scarlet....

As far as my understanding goes, the way a 2D version of a 3D film is made is by just using the viewpoint of one camera. So I don't think this would work? Even trying to match the viewpoints between both cameras seems a bit problematic to me.

The answer to the original question is "yes it could theoretically work" but it would be a nightmare in post to match the color, focus, geometry and polarization to eliminate flicker. You would just have an interocular distance of 0.

You would have to perform the perfect stereo post job. Which... I don't think anyone has ever accomplished. Small mistakes and mis-matches can be hidden by the differing perspective and the eye adjusting. You would have no such margin of error and you would probably blow through the $20k price difference for an epic in less than 60 seconds of usable footage.
 
The answer to the original question is "yes it could theoretically work" but it would be a nightmare in post to match the color, focus, geometry and polarization to eliminate flicker. You would just have an interocular distance of 0.

You would have to perform the perfect stereo post job. Which... I don't think anyone has ever accomplished. Small mistakes and mis-matches can be hidden by the differing perspective and the eye adjusting. You would have no such margin of error and you would probably blow through the $20k price difference for an epic in less than 60 seconds of usable footage.

Yup exactly this Gavin. I realised it would be possible to match the viewpoint while shooting but the amount of additional problems that would have been likely to come into play (both in production and in post) would totally outweigh any benefits of shooting on scarlet vs epic. ha. Interesting thought experiment nevertheless :P
 
Alrighty! Got rained out today in San Diego, but not before being able to take some colorful footage of a few garden variety plants at Balboa Park.
I will be posting jpegs and R3ds. Yeah yeah.. stills are cool but wheres the FOOTAGE!
I am cutting a little bit of footage together right now so that is definitely coming tonight.

I didn't get to shoot the cool piece I envisioned but I can't keep you all waiting any LONGER!!

Here is the first one. Would love to see your grading on it. For mine, I kicked up Alchemy and SAT-ched it up!.
I have different types of shots..so don't worry it won't be all plants hehe.

Below shot 4k & 24fps

Fullsize here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3236260/scarlet/A002_C142_010572.0000176.jpg
R3D Download link here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3236260/scarlet/A002_C142_010572.0000000F.zip

A002_C142_010572.0000176.jpg
 
Thanks a lot Tonaci! Gonna throw a grade on the R3D. Looking forward to seeing more!

Alrighty! Got rained out today in San Diego, but not before being able to take some colorful footage of a few garden variety plants at Balboa Park.
I will be posting jpegs and R3ds. Yeah yeah.. stills are cool but where the FOOTAGE!
I am cutting a little bit of footage together right now so that is definitely coming tonight.

I didn't get to shoot the cool piece I envisioned but I can't keep you all waiting any LONGER!!

Here is the first one. Would love to see your grading on it. For mine, I kicked up Alchemy and SAT-ched it up!.
I have different types of shots..so don't worry it won't be all plants hehe.

Fullsize here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3236260/scarlet/A002_C142_010572.0000176.jpg
R3D Download link here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3236260/scarlet/A002_C142_010572.0000000F.zip

A002_C142_010572.0000176.jpg
 
Definitely looks more natural than mine! nice work. =)
The R3D frame you link to is different than the jpg you uploaded. If I switch fast enough between the two tabs I begin to get a feel of what motion is going to look like once I receive my scarlet :). 4K animated gifs! the internet is about to get buck wild!
 
The R3D frame you link to is different than the jpg you uploaded. If I switch fast enough between the two tabs I begin to get a feel of what motion is going to look like once I receive my scarlet :). 4K animated gifs! the internet is about to get buck wild!

The jpeg image is graded. The r3d file is the raw image. You can import the image into red cine x and come up with your own grade to see what you like.
 
heres my take on it

heres my take on it

got a little more dramatic with mine. first time working with R3d's and red cine-x. gotta say, its pretty bad ass. Thanks Tonaci
 

Attachments

  • Screen shot 2011-11-20 at 7.20.17 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-11-20 at 7.20.17 PM.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0
No, his jpeg link is a different frame from the R3D file. If you toggle between my jpg and his, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.
The jpeg image is graded. The r3d file is the raw image. You can import the image into red cine x and come up with your own grade to see what you like.
 
Back
Top