Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

1st Scarlet....

Still no footage,
Give the man some time. He's had it for what, a day? Geez, I can understand wanting to see the footage but c'mon - at least have some patience here.
 
Give the man some time. He's had it for what, a day? Geez, I can understand wanting to see the footage but c'mon - at least have some patience here.

I'm sure we all understand Tonaci is busy, but how about some footage from RED directly though. I mean Canon (by the way i don't like the new canon so please no canon bashing for the moment) actually showed some short films produced on their cameras. If RED doesn't have anyone to obtain footage from the Scarlet now, I'm offering myself as the person who would be happy to do this. Just send my Scarlet X i ordered as early as possible and I promise to shoot asap and offer my insight and footage immediately.

Of course we all know RED is capable of shooting some footage on Scarlet and posting it to You Tube quickly so why hasn't it been done. I'm not saying Jim, Jarred or Tim needs to do it. Put it in the hands of a few in the studio and get some footage online. What is up with this?
 
Eric, they may have showed movies, but as far as I know there's no raw footage available. For the Scarlet, if you shoot at the same fps/resolution/redcode the image looks the same as if you'd shot on Epic, for which there is footage available and finished movies for you to view. That is the appeal of the Scarlet, for within the hardware fps/resolution/redcode constraints the camera may say Scarlet, but the image is 100% Epic.

Graeme
 
Eric, they may have showed movies, but as far as I know there's no raw footage available. For the Scarlet, if you shoot at the same fps/resolution/redcode the image looks the same as if you'd shot on Epic, for which there is footage available and finished movies for you to view. That is the appeal of the Scarlet, for within the hardware fps/resolution/redcode constraints the camera may say Scarlet, but the image is 100% Epic.

Graeme

Sure . . . but what does this dude Graeme know about anything RED? (wink wink)

Hey Graeme, while we have you on the phone:
1 Any plans for tone mapping like controls in CineX to work the HDRx feature?
2. Any tips on how to best use the current HDRx feature currently in place?
3. I'm not seeing much benefit of the HDRx feature - slider just makes it lighter or darker

Thanks man!

BTW: latest Epic Firmware really, really rocks!
 
Josh, start a new thread to talk about HDR.

Graeme
 
Eric, they may have showed movies, but as far as I know there's no raw footage available. For the Scarlet, if you shoot at the same fps/resolution/redcode the image looks the same as if you'd shot on Epic, for which there is footage available and finished movies for you to view. That is the appeal of the Scarlet, for within the hardware fps/resolution/redcode constraints the camera may say Scarlet, but the image is 100% Epic.

Graeme

I do get that Scarlet X is Epic at 4k Graeme, and btw thanks so much for the direct response. I guess what I'm saying is so many of us just want to see a working scarlet video and some footage of it out working, maybe a BTS video since we are all buying. Red has a great reputation for hyping something up, so just the knowledge of seeing it for real in the actual Scarlet body will greatly increase morale. Can anyone second this or am I alone here?

Again thanks so much for the response, you guys are like celebrities to me so it is a pleasure to be able to speak directly on this forum.
 
Eric, understood on your desire to see it working. That kind of thing does indeed come best from the end user rather than the manufacturer. Any "hype" from RED is just the general excitement we all feel as we're developing new products/features. It's not like any of us lie awake at night figuring out how to hype something - instead we're trying hard not to tell too much of what we're excited about working on and in reality we have to hold back. Maybe it doesn't look like that from outside, but that's my feelings from the inside.

Graeme
 
Eric, understood on your desire to see it working. That kind of thing does indeed come best from the end user rather than the manufacturer. Any "hype" from RED is just the general excitement we all feel as we're developing new products/features. It's not like any of us lie awake at night figuring out how to hype something - instead we're trying hard not to tell too much of what we're excited about working on and in reality we have to hold back. Maybe it doesn't look like that from outside, but that's my feelings from the inside.

Graeme

Gotcha' I don't necessarily mean direct hype from RED, so maybe hype isn't the best word. I guess what i'm saying is so much excitement is generated about this product so a good behind the scenes video from RED could only help us all out. Even in the learn section there is video on the rail system and baseplate. It would just be good to have and since there is so many newbies to RED, a company produced video with the Scarlet shooting and being put to the tests would be great.

I'm sure you guys all have your hands full. I ordered one already so if others don't post soon, I can promise when we receive ours we will get some great videos up for others. Thanks again Graeme
 
Good morning Graeme. I'm also guessing that the R3D'S are compatible with the same NLE's just at different frame sizes right. The same wrapper?
 
Roshdi, I don't have a Scarlet here to test (they're in short supply). I'd think anything that works with Epic should work with Scarlet and any subtle differences will be covered in a SDK update.

Graeme
 
Tonaci,

What do you think of the Scarlet as a 'B' camera teamed with an 'A' camera Epic?
 
Great shot and congrats on the getting the scarlet looking forward to see what else you have in mind for the scarlet.
 
Hey guys!
Thanks for being so patient.

Truth is, for the first day I didn't really get to touch the camera until after my day long meetings. After that I immediately went to the nearest starbucks to upload a few vimeo vids of the Scarlet playback and startup. I then spent the night and following morning using the Scarlet to shoot the final shots for a feature film titled "Innocence Blood" which we used Epic on. Unfortunately because those are for the film, I can't share all the of clips (though I did sneak in one frame grab).

My use of the Scarlet was a seamless transition. As Graeme stated earlier, it is essentially an Epic, just without the higher frame rates and 5k at 24fps (does 12fps though).
The camera was stable the entire time. Rock solid. Playback works without a hitch.
Yesterday afternoon, I was too ambitious, I wanted to get a lot done in a short amount of time.
I wasn't able to do it.

I know it doesn't take more than a couple minutes to shoot and upload to Vimeo, but I want to put up something more nice than the typical... here is my backyard kind of shots.
Otherwise, I would have immediately uploaded the stuff I shot in Starbucks hehe.

So please bear with me. This is likely going to be the very first footage..so I have the impossible task of meeting high expectations. I want to put forth the best footage i can by the end of today for your consumption. =)

After I get the footage, which I will upload to vimeo, I will post more insights, more photos..and will try to answer all scarlet questions within my ability.
 
Hey guys!
Thanks for being so patient.

Truth is, for the first day I didn't really get to touch the camera until after my day long meetings. After that I immediately went to the nearest starbucks to upload a few vimeo vids of the Scarlet playback and startup. I then spent the night and following morning using the Scarlet to shoot the final shots for a feature film titled "Innocence Blood" which we used Epic on. Unfortunately because those are for the film, I can't share all the of clips (though I did sneak in one frame grab).

My use of the Scarlet was a seamless transition. As Graeme stated earlier, it is essentially an Epic, just without the higher frame rates and 5k.
The camera was stable the entire time. Rock solid. Playback works without a hitch.
Yesterday afternoon, I was too ambitious, I wanted to get a lot done in a short amount of time.
I wasn't able to do it.

I know it doesn't take more than a couple minutes to shoot and upload to Vimeo, but I want to put up something more nice than the typical... here is my backyard kind of shots.
Otherwise, I would have immediately uploaded the stuff I shot in Starbucks hehe.

So please bear with me. This is likely going to be the very first footage..so I have the impossible task of meeting high expectations. I want to put forth the best footage i can by the end of today for your consumption. =)

After I get the footage, which I will upload to vimeo, I will post more insights, more photos..and will try to answer all scarlet questions within my ability.


He he., I can only imagine buddy... ;)

NOw don't go get confusing any one as the difference form SCARLET X to EPIC is the Frame Rate, but SCARLET does have 5k, just only at 12fps... I read it as you posted as if doesn't have 5k... ;)



As Graeme stated earlier, it is essentially an Epic, just without the higher frame rates and 5k.
 
Back
Top