Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Guesses as to when we will be seeing STAGE THREE Epic-X cameras?

Stephen Pruitt

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 14, 2007
Messages
3,309
Reaction score
40
Points
48
Website
www.thetreemotionpicture.com
I'd love to be involved in Stage 1 and Stage 2, but I honestly can't afford that at the moment. Accordingly, I'm very curious is there is any idea as to when "the rest of us" will have a shot at Stage 3. BTW, I think that Jim was very smart to roll things out as he did. This will dramatically reduce the numbers of Epic X trade-ins, as the early movers won't have that option.

Anyway, anyone got a good idea when we might be seeing State 3 begin?

Stephen
 
It is really going to depend on how the BETA testing goes with Stage 1, no?

Given that it took many months to smooth out the kinks in the initial release of REDONE - it might take more than a couple of months...just to get to Stage 2? Being that this time around they don't want to release a "buggy" camera, I am happy to wait it out.
 
I'm also looking at stage 3. I'm guessing early/mid next year?

Also, can someone from RED clarify the "30 days or loose the trade in" caveat.

Does it mean we will be emailed at some point asking what route we want to go (1, 2 or 3), and then we have 30 days to choose and pay.

Or,

Does it mean we will be emailed and asked for our choice, then when our number comes up for due delivery we have 30 days to pay or loose the trade in?

Thanks.
 
I think it means the latter.

I'm also looking at stage 3. I'm guessing early/mid next year?

Also, can someone from RED clarify the "30 days or loose the trade in" caveat.

Does it mean we will be emailed at some point asking what route we want to go (1, 2 or 3), and then we have 30 days to choose and pay.

Or,

Does it mean we will be emailed and asked for our choice, then when our number comes up for due delivery we have 30 days to pay or loose the trade in?

Thanks.
 
Stephen

I posted a couple of posts about this on the 'October 30th Announcement Feedback' thread... here is an extract from one that might make you feel more positive?

...
(Thinking positively) Maybe they will do it in chunks:

the first 500 get their camera from an option 2 choice then they get thier option 3 camera AS the next 500 get option 2 cameras... This would be good. The option 2 guys get the priority Jim is wanting and early adopters don't end up with an Epic after much much later adopters...

If Epic is a more complicated camera than red (seems so) I assume the it will not fly out of the factory. Without doing it in chunks it could mean a guy with camera (for argument sake) 250 and 251 not receiving a Epic till many many months (maybe over a year) after some guy with camera 4000ish....

I have no evidence that they will do this... but it kind of makes sense in the RED spirit so I'm positive..

regards

Michael (1590 an 2000) L

PS Maybe I have it all wrong!! I just hope that a guy with a Red 791 who can't do option 2 doesn't have to wait till the guy with 6791 takes his stage 2 option.
 
I'm also looking at stage 3. I'm guessing early/mid next year?

Also, can someone from RED clarify the "30 days or loose the trade in" caveat.

Does it mean we will be emailed at some point asking what route we want to go (1, 2 or 3), and then we have 30 days to choose and pay.

Or,

Does it mean we will be emailed and asked for our choice, then when our number comes up for due delivery we have 30 days to pay or loose the trade in?

Thanks.

I read it as the latter. I think the goal is to avoid the RED ONE issue where people placed a deposit and then waitied 12 to 18 months to pay the balance and take delivery. Logistically, that had to be messy.

It doesn't make sense to give a "fill or kill" until they can ship your camera. Hence, I interpret that 30 days being from the BOMB SSQUAD email saying "your Epic X is ready. What do you want to do? 2 or 3?"

cheers
 
Stephen

I posted a couple of posts about this on the 'October 30th Announcement Feedback' thread... here is an extract from one that might make you feel more positive?



I have no evidence that they will do this... but it kind of makes sense in the RED spirit so I'm positive..

regards

Michael (1590 an 2000) L

PS Maybe I have it all wrong!! I just hope that a guy with a Red 791 who can't do option 2 doesn't have to wait till the guy with 6791 takes his stage 2 option.

Stage 2 and three seem pretty similar to me. I seem them as one stage...

KEEP your RED and Pay $19,500 (get some modules)

TRADE your RED and pay $9500 (get less stuff) but full trade in.

SO, when then they go down the line, your number comes up. 2 or 3? Then you have 30 days. That makes the most sense logistically.
 
Stage 2 and three seem pretty similar to me. I seem them as one stage...

KEEP your RED and Pay $19,500 (get some modules)

TRADE your RED and pay $9500 (get less stuff) but full trade in.

SO, when then they go down the line, your number comes up. 2 or 3? Then you have 30 days. That makes the most sense logistically.

Hope so!

Michael L
 
Didn't Jim say in the announcement that stage one customers were first, then only after stage two customers would they move on to stage three?
 
I think that Mark is right. The question is timing. Do you folks think that we are a year out? Two years out? Six months out?

We are beginning feature #2 and would like to know if it will be with an Epic-X or a RED One. . . just for kicks.

Personally, I hope it is years. . . but that's just me. I'm very, very happy with the One, but will feel compelled to move to Epic-X for the added range when it arrives.

Stephen
 
Didn't Jim say in the announcement that stage one customers were first, then only after stage two customers would they move on to stage three?

yeah, I just re-read it and that does seem the case, but kind of hard.

however it does specifically say "30 days from when your order is ready"

So if you don't want Stage 2. Then I guess that DOES mean they will pass you up and go down 7000+ cameras before coming back to TRADE-IN Stage 3 customers?

I guess it gives people more time to get the funds together who barely afforded RED ONE and need the trade-in discount... but seems like more logistic issues wil pop up... as that means RED# 6575 could get there EPIC WAY before RED 500. If the latter choses Stage 3.

Not sure I would be happy about that with RED 1000 + and couldnt afford
STAGE 2.

But hopefully we are STAGE 1, but more likely 2 if they release less than 100 BETA cams in the wild.

But keeping the RED and upgrading to M-X seems the BEST value especially considering the extra acks like 5" versus 2.8" LCD. Even moreso than the FULL TRADE-IN.
 
But keeping the RED and upgrading to M-X seems the BEST value especially considering the extra acks like 5" versus 2.8" LCD. Even moreso than the FULL TRADE-IN.

think this is the best option, i will be saving up for this option....
 
Well, gentlemen, it all depends critically upon how well footage from the upgraded RED One cuts with the new Epic-X. I, personally, would choose that option if you couldn't tell the difference. But, quite honestly, if there really is no difference, I'd probably just upgrade my RED One, then buy a second RED One, and upgrade that one, as well.

Stephen
 
So if you don't want Stage 2. Then I guess that DOES mean they will pass you up and go down 7000+ cameras before coming back to TRADE-IN Stage 3 customers?
...as that means RED# 6575 could get there EPIC WAY before RED 500. If the latter choses Stage 3.
Not sure I would be happy about that with RED 1000 + and couldnt afford
STAGE 2.
So those with deeper pocket will get an advance on the earlier adopter? I'm afraid our serial became obsolete, hé hé.
I hope you're wrong.
 
So those with deeper pocket will get an advance on the earlier adopter? I'm afraid our serial became obsolete, hé hé.
I hope you're wrong.

Hi,

I think the point is RED really don't want to receive 5000 cameras as a trade in, by delaying stage 3 they probably hope to only get 1500 cameras back. There is nothing to stop people selling their cameras below trade in value to get their Epic quicker. To be honest I can't see the need for anybody who wants a camera badly to loose their place in the queue.

Stephen
 
If we sell our cameras now to prepare for Stage Two... how do we go about it and still hold onto our serials to be eligible for early upgrade with Stage Two?
 
I'd love to be involved in Stage 1 and Stage 2, but I honestly can't afford that at the moment.

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

If stage 3 is your actual way to go, it should not be a problem for RDC (once you get the notification your stage 3 Epic is ready to ship) if you decide then to take the stage 2 trade in. Sure, like this you will loose your early place in the line, but you would have more time to make a final decision.
What do you think about it ?
Did Jim already mention something about future possibilities to swap Stage 3 to Stage 2? I don´t see any bad to RDC business if they would allow this.
Cheers,
Marc
 
If we sell our cameras now to prepare for Stage Two... how do we go about it and still hold onto our serials to be eligible for early upgrade with Stage Two?

You will probably have to sell the camera after you have paid for or ideally taken delivery of Epic.
 
Stage three isn't such a bad deal, surely the only thing thats less is the screen size of the LCD from 5" to 2.8"...still the rest is the same though, the ultimate difference is STAGE One gets Pro I/O whilst the rest get the Base one...

I'm assuming if all goes well probably May at the most...?As long as they've been testing in RED already and that the cameras go out before Nov 30th. Otherwise maybe later then May...

Stage Three seems cool since with that extra 9,500 you could've paid to keep your R1 you can use to buy a scarlet...
 
i don't think it will be as important to have an early Epic as it was with RED1.

People/clients don't want to take any more chances, they will rather stick to something that works - and the RED1 works pretty good now.. still not perfect:)

before RED they're really wasn't a broad digital alternative - except if you liked HD video with a pro-adaptor. - this time there is RED1.

now its 5k/4.5k --- ofcourse the app 1stop faster Epic is a big advantage- but again, it better work flawless. if not People who keep their RED1 might see an increase in business...until EPIC reaches b16....
 
Back
Top