Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Zooms that cover 6K

Jason George

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 29, 2007
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
www.jasongeorge.com
Hi there- just wondering if anyone has a list of aspherical zooms that cover 6K HD, or 5K HD / Dragon / Epic / Weapon.
I am looking at using the 18-85 Fuji T2 but I am concerned it will only cover 4K.
I recently used an Optimo 24-290 and it was reliable with 4K HD.
Thanks.
JG
 
If you have a moment find a place to test out the Zeiss Compact Zooms. They cover 6K FF easily. 15-30, 28-80, 70-200 all T2.9. Minimal breathing on each. Pretty much purpose built for larger formats.
 
Fuji Cabrio 19-90 is just shy of 6K at 19mm (33.5 out of 34), and covers 6K after about 24mm I think.

The Cabrio 85-300 covers 6K.

We cut them with Leica Summicron C primes and they match nicely.
 
Fuji Cabrio 19-90 is just shy of 6K at 19mm (33.5 out of 34), and covers 6K after about 24mm I think.

The Cabrio 85-300 covers 6K.

We cut them with Leica Summicron C primes and they match nicely.

Indeed the Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 misses by so little that it's really never been an issue for me, especially because I've learned to always leave a little space for reframing. And of course it covers any 6K format other than FF (i.e., 2:1, WS, HD, etc). I always use 6K as my standard for that lens, unless I need to conserve media space for some reason.

I also have the Fujinon 24-180 T2.6 (relative of the 18-85 T2) and it definitely does not cover 6K at the wide end. However, it does come fairly close to covering 5.5K HD, especially when protected for reframing. I'm happy to use 5.5K settings as my standard for that lens.

Since RED is delayed in shipping my 8K sensor, I'm haven't been in a rush to sell these lenses to get VV-capable zooms, but I know that day will come...
 
Does anyone know of any zooms that cut in well with the Xenon FF primes? I've been thinking about finally making the plunge into cinema glass but it's important for my work to have a strong zoom in my kit as well. 6k coverage is essential and 8k coverage is a bonus.

Ive tested the Zeiss 28-80 and loved it, but it seems to clean to cut with the xenon's.

Thanks in advance for any help!
 
Does anyone know of any zooms that cut in well with the Xenon FF primes? I've been thinking about finally making the plunge into cinema glass but it's important for my work to have a strong zoom in my kit as well. 6k coverage is essential and 8k coverage is a bonus.

Ive tested the Zeiss 28-80 and loved it, but it seems to clean to cut with the xenon's.

Thanks in advance for any help!


Hi Marcus!

I believe, without the adapter, the Angenieux 44-440 covers more than 8K as a soherical lens...

Thank you very much

Fury
 
Really? That's interesting. It's quite a big lens but it's definitely worth testing. I'll add it to my list. Thanks!
 
It is the 25-250mm converted to anamorphic so it covers S35 but resolves 8K def.


??? If you are recording an anamorphic image, i.e. 1.20 : 1 with a 2X squeeze, then you aren't recording 8K resolution across the frame because you aren't using the full width of the sensor.
 
??? If you are recording an anamorphic image, i.e. 1.20 : 1 with a 2X squeeze, then you aren't recording 8K resolution across the frame because you aren't using the full width of the sensor.
The 25-250mm covers S35 and can resolve 8K on a 8K S35 sensor.
 
That doesn't make sense to me. Are you using this commonly expressed argument that because you have to double the horizontal pixel dimensions to get rid of the 2X optical squeeze that a 4K recording becomes 8K resolution? Because if you are only using a Super-35 width of the sensor, it cannot be 8K resolution.
 
I don't say that: The base lens for the new anamorphic 40-440 is the 25-250mm which covers S35 and can resolve 8K on a 8K S35 sensor as those found in future 8K Sony or Canon cameras...
 
Hi there- just wondering if anyone has a list of aspherical zooms that cover 6K HD, or 5K HD / Dragon / Epic / Weapon.
I am looking at using the 18-85 Fuji T2 but I am concerned it will only cover 4K.
I recently used an Optimo 24-290 and it was reliable with 4K HD.
Thanks.
JG

I think the Fujinon 18-85 does cover 6KHD at full wide but you'd need to test to be sure. I have a Cabrio Mark II 19-90 and it covers 6KHD all the way through the zoom and it's very sharp but only T2.9 vs. 2.0
 
Back
Top