Michael Tebinka
Active member
- Joined
- Aug 29, 2008
- Messages
- 42
- Reaction score
- 0
- Points
- 6
- Location
- Gävle, Sweden
- Website
- www.michaeltebinka.com
Hi all,
Thought I'd share some problems I've had and what seems to have caused it.
Basically the issue was sweeping interference (sounds) that could be heard through audio monitoring when using wireless audio (EW100 series G3 - Sennheiser).
This could happen at random and did not seem to be coherent in relation to areas with much or little possibility for radio interference from other devices or general radio communication.
The equipment in question was a Scarlet-W with the base I/O, a Blueshape Granite v-lock battery, a Videodevices 7" monitor with PIX-LR audio unit, connected via SDI from base I/O to SDI1 on monitor. The monitor ran on its own battery from a Sony battery. Wireless was enabled in the camera.
When the transceiver unit (a Sennheiser EW100 G3) was disabled we could clearly see significant RF level (which normally shouldn't show any indication). This suggested that something within the space was emitting significant RF that was picked up by the receivers. We also tested this with the stationary EW300 G3 units, all within incremental distances of 0,5, 1 and 2 meters from the camera. We tested with very different receiving frequencies. To verify we also brought out a AKG stationary receiver unit which also showed RF.
I then moved on to see if there could be anything in the camera that could cause this, so I turned camera on and off. At the very same instant camera was turned off the RF disappeared and was visible again when turned on. We then turned off wifi, which was not affecting RF. I modified the fan settings, this didn't result in anything either. What about cables or any other connected signals. I turned off SDI signal from the base I/O and voila! Enabling/disabling SDI signal caused the spike in the RF and it only happened when a cable was connected. 75 ohm standard HD-SDI capable cable at 50cm length. We then swapped out this cable for another type and length and the RF was not there anymore. Swapped back to the 50cm cable and RF spikes on all units again.
We are still checking what type of cable does effectively cause the SDI cable to become a pretty strong RF antenna that interferes with the wireless packs at a multitude of frequencies.
I'm certain that someone else has had this experience, if so, please share your findings as we are trying to understand the problem better.
Thanks!
Thought I'd share some problems I've had and what seems to have caused it.
Basically the issue was sweeping interference (sounds) that could be heard through audio monitoring when using wireless audio (EW100 series G3 - Sennheiser).
This could happen at random and did not seem to be coherent in relation to areas with much or little possibility for radio interference from other devices or general radio communication.
The equipment in question was a Scarlet-W with the base I/O, a Blueshape Granite v-lock battery, a Videodevices 7" monitor with PIX-LR audio unit, connected via SDI from base I/O to SDI1 on monitor. The monitor ran on its own battery from a Sony battery. Wireless was enabled in the camera.
When the transceiver unit (a Sennheiser EW100 G3) was disabled we could clearly see significant RF level (which normally shouldn't show any indication). This suggested that something within the space was emitting significant RF that was picked up by the receivers. We also tested this with the stationary EW300 G3 units, all within incremental distances of 0,5, 1 and 2 meters from the camera. We tested with very different receiving frequencies. To verify we also brought out a AKG stationary receiver unit which also showed RF.
I then moved on to see if there could be anything in the camera that could cause this, so I turned camera on and off. At the very same instant camera was turned off the RF disappeared and was visible again when turned on. We then turned off wifi, which was not affecting RF. I modified the fan settings, this didn't result in anything either. What about cables or any other connected signals. I turned off SDI signal from the base I/O and voila! Enabling/disabling SDI signal caused the spike in the RF and it only happened when a cable was connected. 75 ohm standard HD-SDI capable cable at 50cm length. We then swapped out this cable for another type and length and the RF was not there anymore. Swapped back to the 50cm cable and RF spikes on all units again.
We are still checking what type of cable does effectively cause the SDI cable to become a pretty strong RF antenna that interferes with the wireless packs at a multitude of frequencies.
I'm certain that someone else has had this experience, if so, please share your findings as we are trying to understand the problem better.
Thanks!