Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Why a Red Scarlet-w?

Dean Butler

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
340
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Perth, Western Australia
Website
www.alucinorproductions.com
Why a Red Scarlet-w?

My small production companies reasons for sticking with RED and jumping on the Scarlet-w. Just waiting for my monitor and side handle in transit at the moment. Can't wait!!! These reasons ring true for anyone else? Or do you own any of the other options we considered? Interested in your thoughts... even though I'm already all in!
 
Proud RED Scarlet-W owner right here!! It's a truly perfect balance of every good things a cinema camera could have, the best in price/performance ratio, never had a second thought!
 
I will second that! I just received my SECOND one today! That's how much I LOVE this camera!

photo.php
 
I will second that! I just received my SECOND one today! That's how much I LOVE this camera!

photo.php

I guess that's one thing to consider when weighing the scarlet up against say the epicw... you could have two. Good to hear how much you're enjoying the camera.
 
As you asked about the other options you considered. I cancelled my Scarlet-D upgrade last year, sold my camera and bought the Varicam LT instead of the S-W. It was a revelation. Gorgeous colors, great DR, sharp and clean in any situation. Not thinking about OLPF, temperature, iso, blackshading, resolution, redcode is a bonus. I just shoot and it looks great, everytime, with more accuracy than I ever got on my Reds. Another surprise is that I have more freedom in post with compressed footage from the LT than from my (ex) Reds in raw. The body is a bit bigger true. But the price is not necessarily higher when you add all the modules and stuffs to get the same options and pay for the extended Red Armor (Panasonic offers 5 years of warranty, for free). I actually paid less than I would have paid for the S-W (thanks to the Brexit too I have to admit with a low pound), and I save some money on lighting with its 5000iso capability. You should definitely try it.
 
As you asked about the other options you considered. I cancelled my Scarlet-D upgrade last year, sold my camera and bought the Varicam LT instead of the S-W. It was a revelation. Gorgeous colors, great DR, sharp and clean in any situation. Not thinking about OLPF, temperature, iso, blackshading, resolution, redcode is a bonus. I just shoot and it looks great, everytime, with more accuracy than I ever got on my Reds. Another surprise is that I have more freedom in post with compressed footage from the LT than from my (ex) Reds in raw. The body is a bit bigger true. But the price is not necessarily higher when you add all the modules and stuffs to get the same options and pay for the extended Red Armor (Panasonic offers 5 years of warranty, for free). I actually paid less than I would have paid for the S-W (thanks to the Brexit too I have to admit with a low pound), and I save some money on lighting with its 5000iso capability. You should definitely try it.

Ill admit man the varicam lt... lt was def our next preferred option. I definitely will use one when I get the chance. Having that would mean I dont need to pull out my a7s for low light and can stick with the one camera. How much has having the 5000iso changed things for you?

Already owning a red scarletx helped weigh us towards the w. I love working with redcode too though.
 
Î totally agree with the Epic W Scarlet W choice. I got the same question and i also choose the SW over the EW.

Yeah I just couldnt get my head past cropping everytime I want to shoot 50fps. Thats been my main issue with the scarlet-x (cropping for slow motion, needing to change lenses/setup etc)
 
Did you consider a used Red Epic Dragon for the higher frame rates etc. It seems to be a real bargain right now with packages around $12-18K ?

Thats a good point. I only mentioned new cameras at the time of decision making... we felt the benefits of dsmc2 (new warranty) slightly better dr, autoblack shading prores etc outweighed the used epic dragon 6k wider fov and higher frame rate benefits. They r a great deal to be sure but Im pretty happy with our decision. 5k 50fps is enough for me 95% of the time. Ill take the unfortunate crop to 4k when I really need it. If I was a freelance dp or renting epic probably commands a bit more or is known to be the better option
 
I also just ordered a second Scarlet-W and we also have a Raven. My runner up was ironically also the Varicam LT - It was the only other camera that I gave SERIOUS consideration to. Ultimately, it was price, resolution, redcode and size that won out.
 
Last edited:
I also just ordered a second Scarlet-W and we also have a Raven. My runner up was ironically also the Varicam LT - It was the only other camera that I gave SERIOUS consideration to. Ultimately, it was price, resolution, redcode and size that won out.

Yeah I hear you. Particularly on size and redcode. Sort of dawned on me in the last week or so that in a year or two we'll probably do a sideways upgrade of our Scarlet Mx (bcam) to a either a scarlet dragon or epic dragon dsmc1 as we have all the accessories for dsmc1 including 1.8 redmags. In no rush though and will wait for prices to drop.... if we dont do that we'd pick something up that is much improved in lowlight with 10bit (not an a7s as we currwntly have)
 
Is the any real reason to go Scarlet W over a Raven

Seems like the differences are , in most cases , negligble.

These seem to be the big ones, but, If you don't mind EF lens options, it seems manageable.
-Mount Options
-olpf options
- 0.5k more res / slightly larger sensor


For those of you that own/owned both , what are yout thoughts?
 
I don't own either, but it's an obvious choice for me.

The interchangeable mounts and OLPF's put the Scarlet-W in a class above the Raven. If it was just that, it would be worth the price difference. But, the resolution bump is actually a much bigger deal than it appears on paper.

First, a 5k sensor gets you much closer to a true 4k image after debayering.

Second, a S35 sized sensor is a professional standard, whereas micro 4/3rds is not considered quite as professional.

Finally, the 4.5k on the Raven is just for WS, not 16:9. So if you are delivering 16:9, the Raven is 4k, whereas the Scarlet-W is 5k.
 
Yeah I hear you. Particularly on size and redcode. Sort of dawned on me in the last week or so that in a year or two we'll probably do a sideways upgrade of our Scarlet Mx (bcam) to a either a scarlet dragon or epic dragon dsmc1 as we have all the accessories for dsmc1 including 1.8 redmags. In no rush though and will wait for prices to drop.... if we dont do that we'd pick something up that is much improved in lowlight with 10bit (not an a7s as we currently have)

Low light at 10bit 4K and 12bit 2K along with the audio xlrs and battery life etc is why I opted for the C300 MKII for most of my work but I'm always contemplating a RED SW as I love the image and also waiting for prices to drop but I think RED SW would compliment the C300 MKII or C200 quite well in post with CLOG-2
 
Low light at 10bit 4K and 12bit 2K along with the audio xlrs and battery life etc is why I opted for the C300 MKII for most of my work but I'm always contemplating a RED SW as I love the image and also waiting for prices to drop but I think RED SW would compliment the C300 MKII or C200 quite well in post with CLOG-2

Acen, how much do you utilise the autofocus face tracking? How do u find it?
 
Is the any real reason to go Scarlet W over a Raven

Seems like the differences are , in most cases , negligble.

These seem to be the big ones, but, If you don't mind EF lens options, it seems manageable.
-Mount Options
-olpf options
- 0.5k more res / slightly larger sensor


For those of you that own/owned both , what are yout thoughts?

If you shoot HD, it's not .5K more, its 1K more.

Raven is 4KHD.
Scalrlet-W is 5KHD.

Huge difference IMHO.
 
Back
Top