Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

What is the used value of a Scarlet Dragon

J Obertone

Well-known member
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
436
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
California
Website
www.jeremyobertone.com
As of today what is the approximate value of a Scarlet Dragon Body?? I see many 'packages' for sale but just looking for a baseline for body only. No mount etc. Maybe Body and ssd module?? Thanks!
 
RED recently gave a 5k value to the Scarlet Dragon Brain when trading it in for an Epic-W.

A Scarlet-D package sold for 8k a little while back here on Reduser. That seems to me to be a reasonable price for a Scarlet-D with Side-SSD, lens mount, monitor, some media and a few other bits and pieces included.

However, with new Scarlet Dragon Brains costing 14.5k, new Raven deposits being temporarily stopped and Scarlet-W Brains costing 10k (and having a several month long waiting list), it could be seen as a sellers market right now when it comes to used Scarlet and Epic Dragons.
 
Uhh, Scarlet Dragon new is $14,500 http://www.red.com/store/products/scarlet-x-dragon

RED is extremely generous when it comes to their trade in programs. I think the brain is going to have a much diminished street value. That said, still an amazing camera.
 
Pretty sure Red gave $15k value for Scarlet-D brains. https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/articles/227886687

Yes you're right, the total discount was 15k, but people who had no RED camera were also getting a 10k discount, so there was a 5k difference if you wanted to take the path that required handing in your Scarlet-D.

I really have no idea what a second hand Scarlet-D is worth. My value judgements are totally skewed by the priceless images I've seen and experiences I've had as a result of using one.
 
Yes you're right, the total discount was 15k, but people who had no RED camera were also getting a 10k discount, so there was a 5k difference if you wanted to take the path that required handing in your Scarlet-D.

I really have no idea what a second hand Scarlet-D is worth. My value judgements are totally skewed by the priceless images I've seen and experiences I've had as a result of using one.

Oh, just understood your line of thought.
Yes the $5k difference was true until the Epic-W announcement. But if someone missed the "loophole" and wanted one now, it's an incredible generous offer than trying to sell on your own and paying the full price.
 
Interesting. Yes Nick that sounds about right. It may be worth a bit more than this in the next month or two, maybe some buyers willing to pay 8/9K since you get it immediately, but once Raven and ScarletW are flowing maybe 6/7K. I am always surprised at what some ScarletMX and RED One's go for though, and so many on Ebay these days. RED's valuation seems irrelevant whether its high or low due to supply and demand etc. It is interesting they still sell the ScarletD for 14500.
 
Interesting. Yes Nick that sounds about right. It may be worth a bit more than this in the next month or two, maybe some buyers willing to pay 8/9K since you get it immediately, but once Raven and ScarletW are flowing maybe 6/7K. I am always surprised at what some ScarletMX and RED One's go for though, and so many on Ebay these days. RED's valuation seems irrelevant whether its high or low due to supply and demand etc. It is interesting they still sell the ScarletD for 14500.

I think they still sell the old cams at old prices for corp clients....maybe?

But I think the Scarlet W's price sets the Scarlet Dragons - somewhere 30-40% less for the brain.
 
There's competition in the sub-$10K camera market to factor in too. From what I've been seeing and from what I think as a buyer, I could see the Scarlet Dragon holding the $6-8K range and most certainly dipping down to the $5,000 range for body-only with SSD module, which you seemingly have to include if you want to sell it. The thought would be why buy that and do the whole transfer of ownership, initial checkup, and all with additional charges when you can just spend a little more or the same (depending) and order a Raven brand new? Epic MX cameras seem to be fluctuating down to the $6-7K range too so if someone needed a few of the extra features of an Epic then they may opt for the MX despite it being an older sensor. I saw an Epic Dragon body going for around $13, 000 "Buy It Now" price the other day, maybe it's still up, and it had a "Make an Offer" enabled! So that's the lowest I've seen an Epic Dragon going for lately, being just the body and RED Epic carrying case. Other Epic Dragon cameras seem to be accepting "Best Offer" as well so I think it's a good time to try and get into the top range of the Dragon line if you need one right now, prices have never been lower and they're going to go down further by this time next year, by how much is anybody's guess. Also, I don't really see Scarlet Dragons for sale very often on the auction sites, I would guess that they're more personal project cameras whereas the Epics are the more expensive rental workhorse so it's hard to compare pricing from an auction standpoint but with Epic Dragons dropping down to the $15-17K range at most, I could see Scarlet Dragons dropping even more than expected with Raven and Scarlet W in the line. I know that may not be good to hear for Scarlet Dragon owners but, if I were to buy a camera in the high thousands, a Scarlet Dragon wouldn't even be on the radar with all the other options out there, which includes competition from even the Epic Dragon!
 
I could see the Scarlet Dragon holding the $6-8K range and most certainly dipping down to the $5,000 range for body-only with SSD module, which you seemingly have to include if you want to sell it. The thought would be why buy that and do the whole transfer of ownership, initial checkup, and all with additional charges when you can just spend a little more or the same (depending) and order a Raven brand new camera in the high thousands!
I see SDs with accessories like a 5" monitor and 1/8" SSD modules and minimum power config going for $12 - $14K. That makes the body worth about $9 - $10K. Where do you get $5K? Two reasons for wanting the SD over the Raven is shooting 5K and the ability to use PL lenses.
 
Maybe it is a little low but I'm factoring in newer cameras and competing camera options both current and coming up around the corner. Also, you can't discount the relative pricing of the Epic cameras right now. Plus, the used market is strange at times, especially on auction sites where it's not uncommon to see a RED One MX going for the same thing as a Sony EX3 or even an old F900.
 
I think it can be fun to speculate about the used camera market too but I think it's helpful to cite actual prices in actual listings just to keep things real.
 
Back
Top