Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

What is Stage 3 worth

Sorry to correct this... BUT... the $1,250 is only a virtual discount towards the STAGE II, not the stages after that, so if you have stage 3 eligible RED ONE,
with or without MX sensor, the trade in value remains the same, $17,500, and the balance to be paid remains the same too, $10,500.

Unless RED has went WAY out of their way on this one, without me finding out and decided to extend this Virtual Discount to other stages as well, but I seriously doubt that,
because would make me a not so well informed Red camera Broker, he he, and make RED a seriously Outragesouly (is this a word?) almost stupidly Generous company.

If anyone who posts regularly can confirm the additional charge of $5750 for MX upgrade on BUYERS for an unexecuted R1 original buy in FOR THE EPIC X Stage 3 Upgrade..., I figure you are probably, the guy, Ketch. Can you clear this issue up for us all as I see a lot of people are checking this thread out? If not, someone had better ask Jim to clarify... From my end, still hoping Red will consider "year from date of purchase Epic X deadline" rather than 2011/2012 cut off. It gives shooters more time to shoot and possibly get their cash together...
 
So what you're actually saying here Johnny is that what we're discussing should be considered a $4K+ (MX upgrade) sales scam and I (luckily) just missed out on it? Wow! Buyer Beware...

I have never heard of this "unexecuted stage 3 buyer must have an MX sensor in order to trade in" sales bit. The seller may be confused....
 
I have never heard of this "unexecuted stage 3 buyer must have an MX sensor in order to trade in" sales bit. The seller may be confused....

You and I and many others are in the same boat on this one. That's $4k+ worth of confusion so it is very interesting. I'd like an official comment and was hoping Ketch would give us the all the scoop. Got to love Johnny too for his effort! I was building a super computer PC during Stage 2 so I wouldn't have even known about that discount.
 
Guys....it still stands that you are NOT nor NEVER were required to have the MX upgrade in our R1 for any of the stage tradeins.....that is for sure....I'll bet Mark's life on it.

Well said Johnny and BOTTOMS UP but I'm still not sure this applies to any but the original owner. Still waiting on official word from on high on that issue. Betting my life on it may only bring on the wrath of Irish global warming activist, Larry McPhereson, that character who won THE YOU CHOOSE ENERGY QUESTION and inspired THE MOVEMENT TO DEFEND THE PUBLIC TRUST! This could be an extremely good thing though as trust is very important in financial transactions...
 
Well said Johnny and BOTTOMS UP but I'm still not sure this applies to any but the original owner. Still waiting on official word from on high on that issue...

As far as I can tell, for the purposes of the Epic trade-in, Original Owner == Secondary Owner (where transfer was completed with RED before cut off time). However if you've become the official owner since the cut-off you're not eligible any more. That's the reason for the lease-to-own arrangements that allow for the selling of unexecuted R1s by skirting around RED's rules. So I'd say since all trade-ins will be done by eligible people who still technically own your R1, the same terms will have to be applied to all. The only question is whether RED are planning to take their vengeance against what they might think is an abuse of their generosity, and hobble the deal at the point when you then try to transfer ownership of the Epic the day after. Chances are they won't do anything, but you can't say it's risk free, and that should be a factor in working out the price you'd pay (unless there is some kind of indemnity in the lease-to-own deals that are being done - I don't know the specifics).
 
Absolutely....this is for original OWNER...if you did not do the transfer of ownership---if that was not part of your deal with the owner...then, they get the deal.....but if you bought their stage 3 camera...then would stand to reason you should get it if you talk to them and do the transfer...but that time has come and gone i think to declare your stage 3 eligibility...i think you should find the thread that clarifies all the stages and when they closed....that was a long while back. But if you are not aware IF you have stage 3, i think it's safe to say you won't get stage 3. i think you have to go for the later stages....
 
Absolutely....this is for original OWNER...if you did not do the transfer of ownership---if that was not part of your deal with the owner...then, they get the deal.....but if you bought their stage 3 camera...then would stand to reason you should get it if you talk to them and do the transfer...but that time has come and gone i think to declare your stage 3 eligibility...i think you should find the thread that clarifies all the stages and when they closed....that was a long while back. But if you are not aware IF you have stage 3, i think it's safe to say you won't get stage 3. i think you have to go for the later stages....

Thanks Johnny and Paul too for schooling me on this one. I certainly did not know that the only way one could buy into a Stage 3 with an R1 at this point in time is in a "lease to own arrangement" that does sound as though it could fall apart after the fact.

Definitely gives me additional pause about buying an R1 at this time as most sellers seem looking for old/new prices and it is a big camera. I think Paul may have hit it right on the head in his earlier post. Have to conclude smart moves are either shop to save on an already executed MX if you can find one, pre buy the X and wait or wait even longer for an S. Beginning to feel like a proverbial gopher checking for his shadow ...
 
Curran and Ketch are accurate on this. As usual, I might say. And it all makes perfect sense. There is no penalty or forcing of the MX upgrade. That would be far outside the Red ethos. The little gift of "encouragement" to upgrade to Epic stage 2 (1250 refund) was hardly needed -- but just one more toast to the early adopters and believers from Red.

By the way, in that same spirit the early orders with deposits on the Epic, will NOT HAVE the price increases to deal with. So if you want to save that 7K -- you can order and deposit before
December 31st, so you still have 4 months to get the order in.

As to how long, once your camera is in the delivery cue or about to be Red will allow this time before payment in full, I don't know. I suspect it will be a 30 day window, as it will be for Epic-X stage 2.
So be fully prepared with financing.

As for Red not being clear about the policy, they have been quite clear, I think. But as policy as evolved along with camera development, it may not appear that way to many, because it isn't simple and all in one place. That's why guys like Ketch and Curran who are reliable and fully aware, give us all great benefit. And they are both to be trusted. They don't talk off the top of their heads and speak from solid knowledge and good sense.
 
Back
Top