Stephen Williams
Well-known member
im pretty sure they would
Hi,
Panavision will rent just lenses, that's how their business started, cameras came later!
Stephen
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: this_feature_currently_requires_accessing_site_using_safari
im pretty sure they would
I know that recent Red announcements have certainly changed the scope of our recent camera purchase discussions. Up until recently, the mission was to buy a varicam, and it was a case of how and when. (the sony offerings were really quite underwhelming for the money) Now, we are holding back on any purchase decision pending red developments and release.
Further info on the Sony F23 from Studio Daily:
http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news/headlines/7484.html
Reading between the lines you're looking at somewhere between US150-200K which I believe is comparable with a Viper/SRW-1 Combo purchase.
Quote:
'Willox also announced that Sony intends to build an entire pipeline of affordable 4K equipment for production, post and exhibition, although there was no hard time frame. This big news was somewhat downplayed by Willox, who called it “a design goal.”
“We’re going down the path to change imager technology, to take a quantum leap in signal processing,” he said. “There is no time frame, and nothing will be shown at NAB ’07. We expect that you’ll first see something in late 2008 or early 2009.”'
Based on the above, I'm not sure their definition of affordable and mine, are the same.
Graeme, your bluntness is so infectious I can help laughing out loud.The NHK 8k stuff is amazing. But in the wrong way. It's amazingly high resolution, but it also shows that resolution is nothing without art.
The aesthetic of the 8k footage shows a purebred video heritage, with over-agressive edge enhancment (yuck) and low dynamic range (very contrasty and blown highlights). To me it looked like ultra-high quality, high resolution VHS. It's not my aesthetic, and almost the antithesis of what RED is about, which is: resolution + aesthetic = RED. There's no point to resolution if the image processing is so bad it makes the picture unwatchably bad.
Also, I saw a 4k uncompressed downconvert at IBC of the 8k footage, and it showed some severe aliassing and attrocious bayer reconstruction artifacts. Ouch.
Graeme
And I think Panavision will be dubious about renting lenses to people that they are unfamiliar with - you would need a camera assistant who is familiar and trusted by them before they let a set of primos out the door.
Graeme, your bluntness is so infectious I can help laughing out loud.
Not true, all you need is (a lot of) insurance and a check!