Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Weapon upgrade...now I get it

Michael Tiemann

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
2,216
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Website
manifoldrecording.com
I've been pouring over the charts that Brent sent out yesterday, and I've finally found the insight I was looking for. With two DRAGON cameras (an EPIC-M and a SCARLET) in my shop, I've been going over which to upgrade or not upgrade, or whether to keep them both and buy a new WEAPON as a third camera. Here's the choice that really makes things clearest for me:

1. If I upgrade SCARLET to WEAPON MG and EPIC-M to WEAPON CF, my total out of pocket costs are $61,500, with a $10,000 accessory credit (*).

2. If I purchase a new WEAPON CF package, my total cost is $67,500, with a $5,000 accessory credit (*).

Option 1 puts me in a strong but lean 2-camera position, WEAPON all the way. It also means I have to go ahead and sell some modules that don't have place in the WEAPON world. That will generate some cash, and some hassle, but it's not super-huge.

Option 2 gives me three cameras with a common sensor (a long-standing goal), albeit across different technology platforms (which might mean making some lowest-common-denominator choices when it comes to workflow).

Looking at it this way, I can finally think about the "apples-to-apples" comparison that so eluded me as I thought about all the 1:1 swaps or non-swaps that are combinatorially possible. And it helps me see much more clearly the cost-benefit tradeoffs of the question "to upgrade or not upgrade?". I can now clearly see that the question for me is whether it better to have a single WEAPON MG or an EPIC-M plus a SCARLET alongside a WEAPON CF. Now I have to make a decision before time runs out...

(*) Assuming that doesn't go away as I type this message. All thing are subject to change, after all.
 
What about keeping the Scarlet as is, trading in the EPIC-m to Weapon CF and paying for the $10k VV Weapon.

Then waiting for all the BT Epics-X Dragons that RED will sell with a 1 Year warranty ... Buy 1 at a crazy low price ... and Sell your Scarlet.

Wait till (speculated date) 2017 ... And both camera will be ready to Pay for the next Sensor generation after Dragon.

AJ
 
What about keeping the Scarlet as is, trading in the EPIC-m to Weapon CF and paying for the $10k VV Weapon.

Then waiting for all the BT Epics-X Dragons that RED will sell with a 1 Year warranty ... Buy 1 at a crazy low price ... and Sell your Scarlet.

Wait till (speculated date) 2017 ... And both camera will be ready to Pay for the next Sensor generation after Dragon.

AJ

i don't see why there should be any BT Epics. If the D sensor gets rehoused in a Wepon body as part of the upgrade.
 
James,

Good point - here is my (speculative) reasoning:

Option 1 : Steps to Move Epic & Scarlet Dragon Sensor -> Weapon
Weapon brain required that is not completely build.
Old BRAIN tested -> Repaired -> Tested.
Old Dragon Sensor removed -> put into Weapon (more likely to fail in 3 years than a new one)
Weapon Tested -> SHIPPED (Warranty 2-3 years)
Old BRAIN either thrown away ... or ... it now needs a NEW Dragon or MX sensor to be sold as Battle tested (Warranty 1-2 years)

Option 2 : New for old : Brand New Weapon trade
Old BRAIN tested -> Repaired -> Tested.
New Weapon from existing automated factory line Tested -> SHIPPED (Warranty 2-3 years)
Old BRAIN with Old Dragon Sensor sold as Battle tested (Warranty 1-2 years)


My speculative guess is that Red is keen for the MX sensors to be upgraded to Dragon wherever possible. If successful, the IQ of the majority of REDs will synonymous with 'incredible'. The brand value with increase. If RED sell BT EPIC dragons in 6 months time ... there will be a wave of people able join the Eco system - just as those who have been here from some time make the bold step to 8k and walk into the future.

This (speculation) is why Red insisted that those who want a Weapon must upgrade to Dragon. It would be logistically easier for RED to accept Brains with the MX sensor as a trade towards a Weapon .. but this would mean they would have BT Brains with the MX sensor.

... and so My guess is that Option 1 is likely.

AJ
 
AJ, it's hard enough making the decision based on my own needs and requirements. I don't need to speculate on what's happening behind the scenes at RED!
 
Back
Top