Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Weapon MG and Wooden Camera DSMC2 cable-less V-mount plate ISSUE

Auto shutdown has nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing. Auto shutdown will turn the camera off after the selected amount of inactivity.

The camera will always use remaining run time or percentage reported by the battery to end roll and shutdown. The camera cannot know when a dumb battery will die.

Hi Trent. But even the dumb battery shows low voltage which turns yellow before dying. Could that not signal a timed shutdown?
 
Hi Trent. But even the dumb battery shows low voltage which turns yellow before dying. Could that not signal a timed shutdown?

I'd have to double check this - I'm out of the office today. I don't think it does since some batteries will last much longer than others after reaching a voltage threshold. Then we'd get a lot of complaints about not being able to use all the juice in a given battery.

I really wanted to correct the mis-information regarding the auto shutdown setting.
 
I'd have to double check this - I'm out of the office today. I don't think it does since some batteries will last much longer than others after reaching a voltage threshold. Then we'd get a lot of complaints about not being able to use all the juice in a given battery.

I really wanted to correct the mis-information regarding the auto shutdown setting.

Maybe Red should communicate with Wooden Camera on this issue. I've been in contact with them and they assured me with an answer as if they knew exactly what was going on. Your answer clearly shows they don't. I'm not sure why almost six months of extra QC on their unit hasn't been able to pick up such a thing.
 
Auto shutdown has nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing. Auto shutdown will turn the camera off after the selected amount of inactivity.

The camera will always use remaining run time or percentage reported by the battery to end roll and shutdown. The camera cannot know when a dumb battery will die.

Trent,

Sorry for confusing that menu item. It's good to know that the camera auto-shuts down with intelligent batteries as a default.
 
Trent,

Sorry for confusing that menu item. It's good to know that the camera auto-shuts down with intelligent batteries as a default.

But the OP said that the batteries haven't done this with mounts before, so why with this mount?
 
Ok...so I've been running some tests and after I hotswapped using the WC dtap to lemo I got to a second battery, now ALL my batteries show 0% and quickly switch to UNKNWN and auto shutdown in 30 sec...

I have new Switronix Hypercores, Old Switronix, and Old Globalmediapros. ALL show 0% on my Blueshape WC mount...
 
Ok...so I've been running some tests and after I swapped to a second battery, now ALL my batteries show 0% and quickly switch to UNKNWN and auto shutdown in 30 sec...

I have new Switronix Hypercores, Old Switronix, and Old Globalmediapros. ALL show 0% on my Blueshape WC mount...

What do you mean? That they communicate wrong? That you have charged batteries that show up as 0%?
 
What do you mean? That they communicate wrong? That you have charged batteries that show up as 0%?

Fully charged batteries...now all read as 0% on my WC mount and autoshutdown in 30 sec...Batteries are fine and read about 15.2v on my VF-APU cabled mount.
 
Fully charged batteries...now all read as 0% on my WC mount and autoshutdown in 30 sec...Batteries are fine and read about 15.2v on my VF-APU cabled mount.

That's an even bigger problem...
 
Ok so I took the plate off, booted off my cabled plate, put the plate back on and hotswapped back in. Now ALL my batteries showed up as BRICK and showed percentage. As I swapped a few more times communication eventually stopped and now all batteries are only showing voltage...me think I gotta hit up WC again...this is just too inconstant...
 
Ok...so I've been running some tests and after I hotswapped using the WC dtap to lemo I got to a second battery, now ALL my batteries show 0% and quickly switch to UNKNWN and auto shutdown in 30 sec...

I have new Switronix Hypercores, Old Switronix, and Old Globalmediapros. ALL show 0% on my Blueshape WC mount...

Granted, the error could be in the cameras firmware.
 
Granted, the error could be in the cameras firmware.

Possibly, I don't think I'm on the current release, the one before methinks. Will have to try that later today.

I see the note about hotswap power info in the newest build.
 
Ok so I took the plate off, booted off my cabled plate, put the plate back on and hotswapped back in. Now ALL my batteries showed up as BRICK and showed percentage. As I swapped a few more times communication eventually stopped and now all batteries are only showing voltage...me think I gotta hit up WC again...this is just too inconstant...

This doesn't sound good at all. Doesn't sound like the mount is ready for real production work. Can't have such problems on set because of a basic mount unit.
 
So current firmware shows some improvement. Hotswapping several times with all my batteries between DC power and the WC plate. New Switronix Hypercore and old Globalmedia pro batteries show percentage. Old Switronix XP-L 130S show only voltage. Once when swapping with old Switronix I got an error that told me to send a log file to Red and shutdown. Haven't seen it again. Will have to test some more but looking better. Maybe I swapped too quickly on that one.

Another note...I've noticed that my old Switronix last about half as long on my Weapon as they did on my Epic, regardless of battery plate. They just seem to drain away...
 
Guys, just wanted to give you an update of the internal testing we just finished up:

When power is lost during recorder, whether by battery removal or by depletion, the clip is successfully recorded to the card. The camera cannot play the file back during playback, but the file can be opened within REDCINE-X like normal. This is true whether running on DC input via the Base Expander or through the Cable-Less Battery Modules.
 
I don't think it does since some batteries will last much longer than others after reaching a voltage threshold.

Then we'd get a lot of complaints about not being able to use all the juice in a given battery.

You're absolutely right Trent!

BUT you could let users set in the menu their known value for their batteries.

Wait, even better 2 custom levels available:

first one (in my case 12V) for a BIG RED ON SCREEN WARNING: "LOW BATTERY",
and another voltage level (in my case 11V) where the camera would shut itself down automatically to preserve data integrity.

User could also use this to slow down the battery cells ageing process which usually occur due to discharging to very low voltages.
(for example setting these 2 values to 12.5 and 12V or 12.8V and 12.5V, obviously with reduced runtimes but batteries would be useable for some additional months/years at the end of their lifecycle)

What do you think Trent?

I think it's totally safe to include this feature disabled and then some users could enable it and take advantage of this safety feature!

I just created a thread about this here:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?148363
 
You're absolutely right Trent!

BUT you could let users set in the menu their known value for their batteries.

Wait, even better 2 custom levels available:

first one (in my case 12V) for a BIG RED ON SCREEN WARNING: "LOW BATTERY",
and another voltage level (in my case 11V) where the camera would shut itself down automatically to preserve data integrity.

User could also use this to slow down the battery cells ageing process which usually occur due to discharging to very low voltages.
(for example setting these 2 values to 12.5 and 12V or 12.8V and 12.5V, obviously with reduced runtimes but batteries would be useable for some additional months/years at the end of their lifecycle)

What do you think Trent?

I think it's totally safe to include this feature disabled and then some users could enable it and take advantage of this safety feature!

I just created a thread about this here:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?148363

I've asked for this feature before. I want it to auto shut down when my batteries reach a voltage that I have set in a menu. You can do this in other cameras like Panasonic broadcast cameras, why not our RED?
 
Back
Top