Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Weapon Camera Flipped out

Tom Gleeson

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Messages
1,405
Reaction score
7
Points
38
Location
Sydney
Website
www.cinematography.net
Presently shooting a project and for a couple of shots we went with a low mode on the Steadicam so we flipped the R3D files in the camera settings. After we set it back but somehow the setting has stuck and all our R3D files are flipped even though the camera setting has been set to NO flip. The Proxy files are good just the R3Ds. I am trying to avoid a factory reset as I am in the middle of a big drama project and would prefer to avoid this option until the projects finished but the colourist will kill me when he ends up with hundreds of upside down shots ! Any thoughts or helpful suggestions?
 
The easy fix....Shoot the rest of the film upside down :)


No, but I think there is a simple fix in red cine x so you can change the metadata so it flips back but not sure and I don't have it in front of me but worth to check.
 
Thanks Gentlemen for the good ideas and Bob I will use your advice to fix the files but its such a pain as there is 30TB of data but I will just fix the copy that goes to the colourist. Still keen to beat the camera into submission and make it flip back to normal.
 
I configure my S-W in an ENG style rig, so the 4.7" LCD is upside down so the images all come into CineX upside down.

I did as Bob suggested and it's a relatively quick and easy solution. The only things that's weird is that the even with the image flipped to the correct orientation, the thumbs are still flipped upside down, but that's not too bad of an issue.

Strange thing is in Premiere, they all appear in the correct, right side up orientation.
 
I configure my S-W in an ENG style rig, so the 4.7" LCD is upside down so the images all come into CineX upside down.

I did as Bob suggested and it's a relatively quick and easy solution. The only things that's weird is that the even with the image flipped to the correct orientation, the thumbs are still flipped upside down, but that's not too bad of an issue.

Strange thing is in Premiere, they all appear in the correct, right side up orientation.

Premiere doesn't care about meta data and just treats it the way it was shot.
 
Jarek,

Yes there is something weird going on I can't nail down. I am finding if I change the flip and flop in RCX42 then the upside down images looks good but then if I close and reopen the files in either RCX or Resolve they are back to upside down. I have Red Watchdog set to Read and write and RCX perfs set to automatically save the RMD file. Also in RCX if I look at the Meta data Flip Horizontal and Flip Vertical always have the value of 1 no matter if I flip them or not. These files are 2X anamorphic although not sure what difference that could make?
 
Stacey,

At least a dozen times. I have been on a major project so I was unwilling to F with the camera but its over so this week I might try a factory reset.
 
Back
Top